Rimbo World

Ok, so this game is awesome. Quick question: tab opens the architect menu, but then I have to click on a sub-menu before I can use the keyboard again to choose the action. Surely there’s a way I can do it all with the keyboard?

I love xwynn’s playthroughs for rimworld, xcom2, and for the king.

I’m approaching winter number 2 and my colony has gotten into a bit of a rut. For a while I had a 4th colony member - a guy I saved from pursuers, but he had a drug problem and died when he couldn’t get what he needed. So with my 3 people, I’ve got plenty of food and power, keeping the living spaces at a good temperature, food frozen. Once in a while 1 raider attacks me.

I don’t get a lot of research time in as 1 of my 3 people doesn’t do much. The other two need to do a lot of chores. So, working towards the end game is slow going.

Now there is some type of nuclear rain, but I’m letting my people run around like usual because I’m not too concerned if they die and I’m not exactly sure how to handle this. Maybe I should have connected the bedrooms, kitchen, freezer and workshops with covered hallways so they could stay indoors. I think I then could have defined an area for the indoors and limited access to that area. Is this correct?

I’ve done a couple missions where I travel via caravan. I was nervous to at first because I didn’t want anyone to die but they went OK.

I’m playing Phoebie on medium. Is there something I’m missing to make my game more interesting? Slave traders went through earlier, but I didn’t want to buy a slave. It didn’t seem right. Do things get more interesting with more colonists? Then I could research more.

I also hit a bit of a rut with only 3 people, but now that I’m up to seven or so things are taking off. I think the fact that you’re losing a third of your workforce is pretty major. Why is one person dropping out?

Another thing I realized is that minimizing travel time is much more important than in DF. So set up your kitchen like you’re a 19th century factory boss.

You can also just start a new game now that you know a bit more about what people to take. But maybe the nuclear rain will take care of that for you.

Disclaimer: I’m only 5-10 hours into RimWorld myself.

Phoebe is designed for those long lulls so you can build a base. You can always switch over to Cassandra to see if can get some more events.

Right now my base doesn’t really need anything because their needs are being filled. I guess I should maybe build stationary defenses like turrets. Eventually I’d guess bigger raids will come. Doing research is slow due to having only 3 colonists.

Yeah… eventually Phoebe will send something your way… but if you’re bored just change over to Cassandra for a little while. You can always switch back.

Maybe I’ll switch to Cassandra and see how that goes. Worse thing that can happen is everyone dies ! :-)

Do Cassandra! It will be interesting for a bit. You can always go back.

I hadn’t played since b18 and I’m finding random events/attacks I don’t remember before. Insects burrowing into the mountain in the middle of my base? Some “death ship” landing with some mechanical centipede? Good stuff, and almost impossible to prepare for.

You were lucky before. Infestations were there previously. In 1.0 you at least get some advanced warning unlike before.

There are two mechanoid ship types, the poison one that slowly kills all animals and vegetation in an ever expanding radius, and a psychic one that irritates everyone with gradually increasing effect. Typically for both as long as you don’t get too close to or shoot the ship the mechanoids won’t come out so you can set up some defenses before triggering them.

One thing I’ve found odd in my 1.0 game is that I don’t think I’ve seen a single raid with sappers. I did get a person fleeing pirates event where it listed 12 grenadiers as part of the enemy contingent (needless to say I declined). I did get a digger from a primitive tribe early on before I befriended all the tribes. But not a single sapper.

I’ve now had two mechanoid raids drop down through the roof into the center of my base. Both dropped into the same area, which happens to be where I have some artifacts on shelves (psychic lances, sooth pulsers). I wonder if it’s coincidence or they home in on artifacts. It would be cool if they did (though perhaps too exploitable).

I’ve been trying savescum-ing and found that I get an event at roughly the same time no matter what. First was a sapper attack, and they pulverized my walls and pawns pretty quick.

I don’t like to reload from save often but I feel like I’m still learning the game and process.

This is why I stopped playing Cassandra Classic. The events did happen roughly the same time no matter what, if you reloaded it might be a different event but something would always happen. I switched over to Randy Random and have been much happier, though sometimes an event would happen, ie a raid, and then in the middle of that another event could occur, sometimes with hilarious results. For example Id be in the middle of the raid then a herd of mad Yorkshires would spawn and they would fight both the raiders and my pawns alike.

I didn’t find it any harder than Cassandra just more unpredictable. Plus you could go long stretches without anything happening.

There is a maximum period between big events that various by storyteller. If you’re close to that maximum, then yes, you’ll get an event no matter what.

I thought this didn’t really exist for Randy, aka what @Thrag was saying, which is why that Storyteller is labeled as random or unpredictable because you could go a very long time without a single event and then wind up with three right next to each other.

Pig room 2.0 working fine. Using wild boars and Huskies as I ran out of pigs. Now I need more raiders, I’ve been forced to make kibble to feed them which uses up valuable time.

I think I’m going to start using my animals to lead the charge with zone control. I have secured my two entrances well, the problem is indoor insect and mechanoid drops.

I don’t like to fight inside my own high tech / hospital zone, there is valuable stuff in there! Thinking I need extra turrets and I’ll deconstruct walls instead of charging in.

Hahahahaha that’s hilarious :)

Hard learned tip. If you carefully check your guys movement rate against a melee enemy’s and figure you can outrun them so you can shoot, run, repeat, consider that in darkness colonists have their movement rate reduced but animals and mechanoids do not. So make sure your run and gun plans will be complete by dusk.

Another thing I hadn’t noticed before. When insects carve into the mountain they do leave behind resources. I’ve had a recent infestation outside my walls that I’ve left alone while I prepare to harvest them. They are doing me a favor and mining out some components I had’t gotten to yet.

I had an epiphany dealing with scythers. They really are deadly. Walls + 5 turrets minimum, turrets and a few colonists normally go down. I don’t kite.

So, EMP mortars. The trick is gonna be two mortars, and forbid the other types of ammo, that way it guarantees the EMP is fired instead. Then hope the EMP lands. The stun seems to last a pretty long time (long enough my melee guys could go in and thrash some).

Another thing I’ve considered trying is mortaring the ship to get them to come to my defended base, instead of building walls and whatever where they are