Rimbo World

Yeah!

And surround the corpse pile with walls and just one door to the butcher table so no one else sees it.

Psychopath cooks and graveyard diggers, the best combo! It’s like a scene from a bad horror movie.

I read that people dislike the butcher so it’s probably a good idea to also give your psycho cook a night shift to avoid contact with normies. Smaller chance of social fights?

Lost my first pawn… Rivers stayed behind with pacifist, misogynist Nik while everyone else went to rescue Brent’s grandfather. He rushed to the defense of my muffalo when a grizzly got hungry and was rewarded with a bite through the hand. Turns out Nik also refuses to doctor, so poor Rivers bled out before my fastest caravan member could return (not even carrying any food!). (He also was unable to treat himself, strangely.)

… And after a trivial encounter (with my first mech), Brent’s grandfather turns out to be an 84-year old psychite addict with dementia, whose only skill is art. It’s been months and he’s still just lying in the hospital going through withdrawal.

At least Rivers has a nice grave by, well, the river.

I thought I saw an option to self-treat which is off by default.

I swear I’ve had it up to here with my colonists’ elderly relations. I’ve recently gotten a call about the third septuagenarian family member that is being held prisoner or is incapacitated somewhere.

Fortunately as I found out when I kicked out Irgo’s firestarting father after the wedding, the banishment mood penalty doesn’t last very long, and the boost the family member gets from the rescue lasts significantly longer.

I have been trying random starts now I have played a few temperate/chillax story ones.

My start last night had a brother-sister pair generated “Sweeney” & “Todd”. I didn’t do that, it came out of the random generator that way.

The start was in tundra, which I had not played before, and the random events kept throwing new mouths to feed at the colony. It collapsed in great fashion the middle of the first winter after Sweeney’s corpse was eaten in the caravan on the way back from rescuing Todd’s ex-wife, by Todd’s ex-wife, when she hit the starvation point. Then caravan then turned on each other with starter knife fights and more cannibalism once they witnessed that, all but one going off the deep end. The rest of the colony also killed and ate each other, as soon as the now quite mad caravan of Todd returned with his ex-wife.

For a Sweeney & Todd, that random outcome was so hilariously perfect.

Yep. There is a self-treat option. They need to do it a little better I think. There is a penalty when using it but it’s better than nothing so really there should be self treat at last resort or something.

If people join and they aren’t very good or you can’t support them yet it’s worth taking the small banishment penalty.

Consider that every person, like every item and structure, adds to your colony’s wealth. In the history I posted earlier those huge drops when people leave the base is not just the trade goods I’m carrying, it’s the people too. Useless people add wealth, which increases raid sizes. So they are not just a mouth to feed, they are a small increase in danger too.

This s my only complaint about the game and it’s a huge one. Using wealth as the primary assessment to assign raids is bad when it comes to mechs and downed mech ships. Some lucrative leather harvesting, jade statues, or useless colonists and you’re suddenly in a world of trouble. That’s what happened in my tundra map. Have to store up a ton of everything for a very long winter and bam. Suddenly raids go from manageable to crippling. I feel like human raids are always manageable to some extent, but not the mech raids.

My last game just crashed and burned big time. Maybe someone can key me in on what went wrong @Thrag

Soo, I was very, very carefully working up my stocks of food, starting research (was behind), and just starting to venture out into the real world. I think I was at Year 1.7 point, and with only 4 peeps, I was getting out numbered by raiders 2:1 and 3:1.

Well no big deal I thought, they’re not mechs. But, for some unknown reason they have been wicked shots. I was all proud of myself because I thought I came up with a temporary defense outfit that would help me survive, and they just shot right through it like it was nothing.

Base layout I thought was good:

Battle area:

See they’re supposed to “peek out” from behind walls, and I’d read that intermittent wall sections can help break up fire, I thought this was a genius design idea til my walls got built. So I went down to 3 units from 4 and this is just before they killed off the rest of my peeps. 2:1 odds are supposed to be not be that bad against a bunch of tribals. These guys all had bows, and they just sliced right through everything, meanwhile I could barely hit them with my starter rifles.

I generally avoid fixed positions and stand up fights. I like to rely more on out ranging the enemy and run and gun tactics, unless the map grants me a perfect killing zone like my current game.

Use spike traps not just in front of your defenses to help counter melee enemies, but on the approach to your base. Use terrain or build walls so that an approaching enemy is most likely to go through them. By the time they are in range of your guys they should have sprung a few traps already to soften them up. Having multiple spike zones on the periphery of your base means there’s always one to kite the enemy to.

Use the feature where you click on an enemy to see who they are targeting, and mouse over their target to see the hit chance. Usually if I see >20% I get my guy behind cover or out of range. Do the same to check your guys to hit.

That giant dumping stockpile can be of use. Having to go over stuff slows movement. Consider making the stockpile a two or three wide strip set at about rifle range from your shooting position. Stone chunks provide cover which is why you want to make sure you don’t put it close enough that they can use it for cover.

One last tip, remember the goal is to break their morale so target easier to kill enemies first. Guys who already have scars reducing their health have less hit points. Heavily armored guys may be the big threats, but they’ll run if you down the weaker targets.

I haven’t played 1.0 but in the last update before it what helped me the most was to create 2 long hallway style entrances to my base with no doors or gates. The enemies always saw them as a path to my base and would go all the way around the perimeter of the walls to enter the “easy” way.

I placed traps all along the perimeter that they walk, and I loaded the halls with spike traps and occasional mines, placed all the turrets and sharpshooters on the corners of where the enemies exit the halls, usually injured from all the traps. That took care of most mech raids, except for when they drop in the middle of the base. In that scenario I would potshot and run to the outside of the base and make them chase me through the halls the opposite way.

Basically just cheesed the AI into following the paths with the most traps.

Wow awesome tips!

Never even thought about looking at enemies pre-existing health issues to find more vulnerable peeps. Ewwww it felt really seedy using per-existing in this context as it makes me think of current day politics :(

I saved this game right at start, so I think I’ll replay from scratch and see how it goes. v.2 !

Not 100% sure but I think the AI is doing the same thing. It typically beelines to any weak areas I have, pawns or buildings or animals. I wouldn’t feel too bad about it.

The hallway of death strategy is still viable but they toned it down in 1.0. Traps can’t be adjacent to each other and they need to be rebuilt after being sprung.

I got a mod so I can put them next to each other. I still try to not, but where I can’t I do.

Excellent points.

However, I was taking the events on purpose.So I chose a random start, random map (seed I hadn’t used), forced myself to take the random selections for colonists and chose the random storyteller to top it off. Teetering from crisis to crisis was my entertainment plan for the evening.

I got a run story that was perfect for the starter names as a bonus.

I suggest two tile wide not single tile. Your own pawns will then avoid going on the trapped square.

I had many injuries before realizing it was the single Lane stuff.

I miss a lot of stuff playing on 3x speed.