Ring tone software

Why stop at ringtones?
Jeff: http://www.hacktherazr.com/

I have a customized Razr thanks to some of the tricks I learned there. No more “Verizon Wireless” all over the phone either.
;)

Doesn’t BitPim work with Razr phones?

With my Verizon LG enV, it was a little complicated, but ended up easy. I used bluetooth to transfer the ringtone to my phone, and then sent it as an attachment to my boyfriend’s phone. He sent it back to me and I was able to “save as ringtone.”

bluh? I’m a total cellphone n00b and am not sure what you mean by this. I can just walk into a store and have them install new firmware onto my phone? That seems a little… odd. And slightly risky.

Fucking hell?!
I can do that with any number of Sony Ericsson and Nokia phones, but not the allmighty iPhone?

But I guess that feature is locked in those phones as well, when sold in the US?

The power your network operators hold is mindboggling to me.

Not just any store. A cell phone store that isn’t affiliated with any one single provider. Usually they’ll sell services from a bunch, but sometimes they won’t have anything to do with them. There are a lot of places near me like this, they sell just about every single current model, and because they usually don’t offer provider contracts, they sell the phones at full retail value. That means you’d pay $140 for a phone that Rogers/Telus/Fido/AT&T/Verizon is giving away for free with any three year plan.

Anyway, you go in there, and they unlock your phone for a small fee. It’s a bit shady, but it’s not illegal or anything. Technically all phones are unlocked before the provider gets a hold of them. Then the provider locks it so it can’t be used on another network. A lot of times they’ll lock some of the features as well. It’s not very risky either, but if something did go wrong, no one is going to cover you.

Maybe it’s different here, but even some of the provider owned/affiliated stores will unlock phones.

Hmm… I don’t know of any shops around me that are like this. I have seen a couple of places in the mall that sell phones by all the different providers, but I don’t think that they’re the kind of store that would do something like this.

Anyway, you go in there, and they unlock your phone for a small fee. It’s a bit shady, but it’s not illegal or anything. Technically all phones are unlocked before the provider gets a hold of them. Then the provider locks it so it can’t be used on another network. A lot of times they’ll lock some of the features as well. It’s not very risky either, but if something did go wrong, no one is going to cover you.
Well, it’s not the provider that locked the data transfer out (at least according to the phones manual):

Oh man - that is too cool. Hmm, I wonder if our IT administrators will have a fit if I mod my work Razr?? LOL!

If you’re a Palm user and already have the MP3 you want to use, MiniTones is indispensable. No more fiddling around with SMS/Blazer downloads (ToneThis is now officially a huge pain for me) or conversions. Instead, this Palm app can browse my SD card MP3s, let me pick and trim the one I want, and it’s a ringtone within seconds.

http://www.phonezoo.com/ works really well with my blackberry.