Rio museum Burns down

This is heartbreaking:

It’s not a symbol or result of austerity politics - it’s a symbol or result of complete disregard (by government and society at large) for culture, education, or the very concept of us as a nation.

Source: I am Brazilian and I’ve lived in Brazil my whole life.

In short, this is not a civilized country. It’s a mess of a hellhole. The big surprise is that this kind of thing doesn’t happen more often, if anything.

This should be seen as a national embarrassment. Hopefully that will induce change.

This is horrifying both to the people of Brazil and to all of humanity. How does something like this happen at all? Why weren’t there fire safety measures and fire mitigation systems in place?

It’s sad that it seems like hosting the Olympics correlates to bankrupt countries.

It won’t. We had that happen multiple times, and not once anything changed. Politicians will use this to try to get votes, but that’s as far as it will go.

In what movie will you see this at the 20:20?

Oh hang on, that’s a firefighter rescuing a… something… from the museum.

Fire mitigation systems were at least faulty/insufficient since 2004. When the fire happened, not one of them was functional. As I said, the miracle is that it took this long to happen.

That and repeatedly electing former Communist revolutionaries who empty their treasuries,and every last groat that can conceivably be borrowed on the planet earth (into their pockets as well as into the ether…file with Argentina and Venezuela…next up, Bolivia).

Well, Communist revolutionaries aren’t the problem in Brazil. Here, all parts in the political spectrum are equally corrupt. Just saying.

Well, Dilma Vana Rousseff, was, but there is plenty of Kleptocracy to go around. I love your country, and have been there more times than I can count! I haven’t for more than 10 years though. :( I miss it.

This catastrophe is ridiculous and unfair to average Brazilians. I am sorry, @rhamorim

Dilma was a problem, but she wasn’t the problem. Back in 2004, the president was Lula, and his first term was actually pretty good, considering. And Temer (Dilma’s vice president, and current president until the end of this year) managed to make things a lot worse than even Dilma would be capable of, despite being in a different place of the political spectrum.

Really, Brazilian politics are so wretched that they make US politics look like kid’s play. This country - in political, educational, and cultural terms - is now so far from any semblance of proper civilization that I see no way it could be redeemed through a democratic process. Even Sejong the Great would have a hard time doing here anything even close to what he did in Korea.

I guess it takes being a native to see how bad things are here. I’d advise anyone to stay away from this place. I love the idea of Brazil. It should be a great nation. The reality of it, though, only feels me with anxiety, dread, and regret. And I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

I always love when government threatens to shut off basic necessities that people actually care about if they don’t hand over the tax dollars for whatever shit they’ve been wasting it on this entire time.

Pay more taxes or we’ll allow things to randomly catch on fire! That’ll teach you!

Looks like a facehugger.

Yeah, we had xenomorphs here once. They left/were extinct because the environment was too toxic/caustic to them.

Just saying.

Also, the demon who makes trophies of men.

It would be nice to learn lessons to try to prevent this type of thing (government so corrupt and inept) from happening here.

In some ways, western government and policing is a miracle. As much as we rant about Democrats and Republicans, we do not routinely wake up to severed heads in the town square, or bodies handing from the overpass. The Smithsonian does not just burn down.

It would be nice to keep that.

The problem is people now take it for granted and don’t even realize its value.

I hope they have archives off-site.

Terrible news. I truly regret never visiting the museum during my trips to Rio to visit family.