RIP Alan White

A truly iconic and incredibly talented percussionist, most famous for his work with YES, Alan White has passed today. I had the good fortune to meet him about 15 years ago. He was a truly gracious and very friendly guy. RIP Alan, you will be missed.

and Andy Fletcher today (Depeche Mode)

Now itā€™s just getting personal.

And, not that I expect anyone to know this guy, but Cathal Coughlin who was in several favorite bands of mine (Microdisney and Fatima Mansions, to name two) died last week.

This is getting freaky.

Damn, thatā€™s nuts that just yesterday, I saw some article on the band getting ready for a new tour and as I saw the accompanying picture and was thinking how Steve Howe and Alan White are the only original members left after Chris Squire died in 2015 and Jon Anderson quit.

While Iā€™ve always preferred Brufordā€™s playing, Alan White put his own stamp on the bandā€™s sound and those first few albums with him are my favorite Yes albums overall.

Being a former guitarist/bassist myself who worshipped Howe and Squire, losing Squire a few years ago hurt. Now Whiteā€™s gone and I canā€™t help thinking, ā€œtake care Mr. Howe, take careā€.

I also had NO idea that White played with both Lennon and Harrison on their solo albums which is a pretty impressive accomplishment aside from his work with Yes.

RIP.

And since he doesnā€™t have his own thread (yet), RIP Andy Fletcher.

Wouldnā€™t consider myself a true Depeche Mode fan, but I did go through a period in my teens when I did listen to them quite a bit (along with Thompson Twins, Psychadelic Furs, The Cure, and Duran Duran. Aaah, the wonderful 80s).

Sadly, one of the mightiest rhythm sections in rock history is reunited. Hopefully he and Fish are having a hell of a jam session in rock and roll heaven now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzxZzIiO84Y

Really nice obit in the Guardian today.