RIP Alex Trebeck

Truly a great TV host. As a Canadian of a certain age, I remember him as the host of Reach for the Top, a quiz show which pitted high school teams against each other answering a variety of questions in various knowledge areas. RIP.

There are recorded shows airing until the end of the year, I just read.

RIP, good man. Another person I grew up watching and admiring, gone. And this year has been brutal.

Thanks for reminding me of RFtT. I remember watching that, but Alex wasn’t the host of the version aired in Montreal. And my high school was a perennial winner of the local competitions.

A much beloved Canadian figure, Alex Trebek will be remembered fondly as a decent, intelligent man with a warm smile and a dry sense of humour. A real role model.

Man, that sucks. We’ve know this was coming, but still he was one of the last truly uniting cultural icons everyone shared.

Ditto, Biden election is literally the only good thing this year.

I go way back with Jeopardy. I remember when Art Fleming hosted it. Trebek was great, though.

So sad.

End of an era.

He’s been host on that show most of my life I think.

Nobody could ever replace him on Jeopardy.

Except…Will Ferrell? Too soon?

I must have seen Fleming host it, but honestly don’t remember. I mean, I can remember Chuck Woolery hosting that short-lived giant pinball machine game show, but I can’t visualize Fleming.

Smart of the Jeopardy folks to bring Ken Jennings on-board. He has a lot of personality and identification with Jeopardy. No one will ever replace Alex, but I bet Ken will be a worthy successor.

I’ll take Beloved Icons Who Will Be Missed for $1000

What is RIP, Mr. Trebek?

I also remember Art Fleming, but here’s a fun fact: He recently replaced Bob Barker in the Guinness BoR for hosting the most episodes of a game show.

Is that happening, is Jennings a potential replacement?

That’s what I presumed as well when Ken was brought on for this season.

I had this interview with Jeopardy’s executive producer crop up in my recommendations earlier today and found it insightful and moving. While it wasn’t surprising in hindsight, it had never occurred to me just how much of a steering hand Trebek had with regard to the show on an episode-to-episode basis. Those boots are going to be borderline impossible to properly fill. Rest in peace.

He expended the last of his life force banishing the All-Seeing Orange. May or may not be back as Trebeck the White.

Ken was brought in as Consulting producer. He may or may not become host.

Jennings said (a while back but probably still true) that he doesn’t want it. Short version: he doesn’t want to uproot his family from Seattle to LA or have to commute between them.

Watched that and it led to other youtube vids… check this one out of Trebek hosting a Canadian show in the 60s… (it’s 17:07 into the vid).