RIP Amy Winehouse

RIP. Hopefully she’s found some peace now.

There’s always the question of wanting to part of the 27 club:

• Hendrix
  • Joplin
  • Morrison

and “recently”:

• Cobain
  • and now Winehouse

There may be others. Those are off the top of my head. I still believe Kurt wanted to be part of this club.

What question is that, exactly?

I feel bad for z22. I think there might have been a point to that post, but it was lost somewhere in the English language. On his behalf, I offer all apologies.

Oh, regarding Amy Winehouse…she was a fucking brilliant artist, I loved her work when she was sober enough to perform well, I’ll miss her. Like everyone else, I’m not at all surprised at this news.

He left out the word ‘be’:

There’s always the question of wanting to be part of the 27 club:

• Hendrix
  • Joplin
  • Morrison

and “recently”:

• Cobain
  • and now Winehouse

There may be others. Those are off the top of my head. I still believe Kurt wanted to be part of this club.

The question would be something like, Did Amy Winehouse figure on dying at the age of 27 like the other musicians in the so-called 27 Club?

Like everyone else, I’m not surprised by this news, which makes it that much more depressing.

The list at that link includes a whole bunch of people (most of whom are not major or even widely known names) who died from causes other then drugs and drink. Falling off a horse or being murdered doesn’t seem anything other than random to me.

There are also plenty of big named music people who died in their 20s where drugs and drink could be legitimately pointed to, but just didn’t happen to be 27 at the time, like Hank Williams Sr. (age 29). For non-drug related young deaths we have the “Day the Music Died” trio, who were all 28 or younger, but none 27.

I guess what I’m saying is that I think we focus a bit too much on age 27.

Hey, Sarkus, way to be a buzzkill with your “facts” and “logic.”

Not my list, not my link don’t give a shit.

That was an uncharacteristically dickish thing for you to say.

Overload of internet discussion on this stupid “27 club” combined with falling further behind in our death pool hath pushed me into wrath and un-called-for dickishness.

Mea culpa.

Microsoft reminds us of what’s truly important when a celebrity dies: commerce.

Hahaha, that’s awesome. Go Microsoft!

Funny, I don’t remember any outcry over Apple plastering “Remember Amy Winehouse” all over iTunes on the same day.

Oh for chrissakes. I found out that it happened because I went to check the Amazon MP3 deal on Saturday and they had a special box off to the right loudly proclaiming that Amy Winehouse was dead and you could remember her by checking out her music which you can conveniently buy through this link that sends you to her things. Are we really this hard up for things to be outraged about? This is what happens when famous musicians die. Pretty sure that everybody did the same thing for Ray Charles and Johnny Cash.

What a waste. She had talent, success and obviously was well loved by her family. Why self desctruct with all that going for you? Obviously these people love self-desctruction even more than their art.

I’m not outraged, nor do I think it’s particularly tragic when someone that has every oppourtunity to be clean, sober, and live a productive (and lucrative) life decides to risk his/her life for an 8 ball.

Once again, Drunk Hulk figured this out for us all:

I am. McDonalds slimmed down their happy meals, so there is a huge hatred hole in my heart that needs to be filled by faceless, greedy, corporate suits that I can safely loathe from afar.

Seriously though, I think the difference is in the active vs. passive method of exploitation. A big sign that you happen to see as you surf around somehow seems less crass than a message that is actively sent to you and causes your pants to vibrate in the middle of the day. Not that I am against vibrating pants, to be sure.

Hey man, Amy Winehouse died to bring you those vibrating pants, show some respect. Jeez…