RIP Art Bell

It’s amazing how several of us commented that we all felt it was (overall) fake but we enjoyed the show and the stories. I think it points to the fact the guy really had a knack to run a program and a story in a very engaging way. Everyone on the show felt important, to us as listeners, but probably to them as well. And the pacing of the way things were presented just added to the, “holy cow, what’s going on right now,” feeling that he seemed to be able to channel every show.

Oh man they have Mel’s Hole!

It’s 11pm and I just clicked that link and the music kicked in and I got all excited. It’s like I’m a teenager again.

Fuck, I’m sad now. RIP, Art, you were the greatest.

Heh checked the linked out and got a smile seeing the name Hoagland. Remember Many shows with that quack on but he was good at it.

Hoagland was good at in the old days. Very good. I even bought his first book about The Face On Mars, “The Monuments Of Mars”. He is a good writer, and was fun to listen to.

However, he’s gone so far off the deep end in the past 10 years or so, that I can’t stand it.

For instance, the First Edition of The Monuments Of Mars was captivating, gripping stuff.
The Fifth Edition has swelled to twice the size, and has incorporated some of his more recent kooky theories (Glass towers and/or domes on the moon, etc.).

Took me a while to find this, as I could not remember the guy’s name, but here is one of my favorite classic Art Bell shows; it is also one of the most unintentionally funny ones:

Dallas Thompson intends to fly a hot air balloon to the center of the Earth.

He intends to find the hole at the North Pole that Admiral Byrd discovered [citation needed], and go in that way. See also the Hollow Earth Theory. Dallas Thompson comes across as incredibly earnest in his endeavor, and thus this interview is just really fun in the way it progresses.

That link will take you directly to the beginning of the interview, however if you back it up and start the show at the beginning, classic caller JC Webster also makes one of his numerous calls in to the show. Every JC call is in that last link.