RIP Chester Bennington - Linkin Park lead singer

1. Suicide apparently. Leaves behind a wife and six kids.

Condolences to his family and friends.

These guys gotta stop killing themselves.

Fuck. FUCK. That sucks for all of them. My deepest sympathies, because fuck.

Yeah, I had never realized just quite how massive his family had grown.

I can only hope that Bennington managed the fruits of his extraordinary success through the 2000s well enough that his entire family well cared for in his absence. This sucks :(

I first got into metal towards the end of the nu-metal thing, but Hybrid Theory still got plenty of play. The fragile state of mental healthcare even in the West is a poor thing.

Shit, that really sucks. It’s ok to say you like Linkin Park, right? I can’t remember the name of the hard rock group that everyone hates.

Very much okay.

RIP Chester.

I don’t know about everybody but I hate Linkin Park, but now I feel a little bad for all the mean things I’ve said about them over the years. This is awful, man, another guy who was basically on top just, well, deciding he’s out. Obviously pain drives someone to this, nobody would leave behind a wife and six children if they were thinking clearly. I wish he could have gotten help.

I always thought that there was a lot of pain in his singing. He really seemed to put all his emotions into it.

Well and I’m not being totally fair here, I just couldn’t get past the dude’s shrieking. Some things just rub me the wrong way, I’m bothered by Geddy Lee and Robert Plant’s voices too.

I’m with you. I’m sorry that he was troubled enough to take his own life. Mental health problems are scary. I’m also sorry for his family’s loss. Leaving behind 6 kids is awful.

That said, I can’t stand Linkin Park or their music.

I think you mean Nickelback.

And hate to be the third person to say this but I didn’t like Linkin Park, either. Still, they achieved a good amount of success and I’m sure this is a hit in the gut for their fans. Sorry for his family, it’s a shame when suicide becomes the final solution.

Wish people would reach out to loved ones more when they are feeling that kind of pain or get professional help. Plenty of things to live for, you know, like your children.

Hybrid Theory was a pretty fuckin’ cool record, and I think probably the best expression of the rap-metal fusion that was so popular in the early 00s. It might not be up your alley, but those guys came right out the fuckin’ gate fully loaded and sporting an extremely impressive, developed, polished style. I hear that only improved as the years marched on, but none of their subsequent work really ever captured my attention nearly as much.

Highest suicide rate of any demographic: white men approaching or in middle age years.

I also really liked their first two records; my first real rock concert was Family Values back in 2001 or so, and Linkin Park was one of the supporting acts. They powered through most/all of Hybrid Theory - it’s only a 38 minute record - and it was pretty awesome time for 17 year old me. Throw another one on the “this sucks” pile.

Hybrid Theory was great, but as much as it pains me to say it, Limp Bizkit’s first album is probably the peak of that era of rap-metal. Obviously, any Rage Against the Machine album totally crushes either of them.

Ohhhhh right, Limp Bizkit. I think I was mixing up Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park. I was wondering how this guy got thin and was looking kind of bookish. I remembered him being a bit more of a bruiser. That must be the LB guy.

“We meet here today to honor and pay tribute to the life of…”

Tough crowd. ;)

Yes:

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/03/23/521083335/the-forces-driving-middle-aged-white-peoples-deaths-of-despair

Still, responsibility to others > responsibility to yourself.

The exception to privilege? The article tries so hard to pretend to care, and it’s the most positive article I’ve read on the subject in years. What a shame.