RIP David Odgen Stiers

We’ve lost another of the iconic MASH crew.

That really saddened me. Whether it was MASH, Star trek, or as one of the main villians of Star Gate Atlantis, he always brought the character to life with his performance.

By coincidence, I had started up a replay of Icewind Dale just last month, never having played it again since it originally came out. He narrates the introduction.

I assume he made much of his living doing voice work after M.A.S.H. I always thought he was cool. Sorry to see him go.

Oh no, Winchester! As a child of the 70s I watched a bunch of MASH, just like everybody else. I didn’t get much of it, but the guy who wore dresses wa funny. I didn’t realize until way later that there was a lot of complexity underlying all the characters that I found silly.

I think of David Ogden Stiers as in the same category of Edward Herman’s, kind of born to play blue-blooded patricians, and now they’re both gone. We’re losing our patricians, people!

He took the role of blue blood patrician to the extreme in Star Gate Atlantis. He just oozed with arrogance.

Loved in in Mash and everything I’d seen him in since. This one hurts me. RIP sir.

It’s coincidence, but he’s the latest celebrity that I’ve wondered, “Hmmm… I wonder what happened to him/her?”, looked up their wiki, and they died that week. Hugh Hefner was the previous one.

I have become death, destroyer of worlds.

He was better known (to me) as the alien scientist in Lilo & Stitch and Esher in Myst V.

Stiers mostly unrecognizable here in a sweet little forgettable romantic comedy from 1990…

I still love that film, and Stiers was no small part of what made it great to me :)

Having grown up watching M*A*S*H, I always got a kind of childlike kick seeing Stiers pop up in other things. Realizing he was the narrator in Icewind Dale was pure delight. RIP.

I was watching a couple of MASH episodes this weekend while I was cleaning my house. They were part of a marathon on some channel, and not 10 minutes after I finished watching I jumped on my PC and saw the news that Stiers had passed away. Instant sadness.

The man had an iconic voice, unmistakable and delightful when he’d show up in voice roles on T.V., movies or games. Like most of the above forumites, I was a small child in the 70’s, and remember watching MASH with my mom and only understanding about half of it. Later, as a teen in the 80’s watching reruns, it had a more profound effect on me. I always react with fondness and nostalgia when a MASH alum shows up in another show or movie. Sadly, there are far too few such actors remaining.

I don’t remember Stiers in too much stuff except that he was in the Accidental Tourist as one of William Hurt’s housebound brothers. I didn’t even make the MASH connection until just now.

Honestly, my favorite thing he did? V.O. cutscene narration in Icewind Dale. Not even kidding. The final bookend cutscene after you beat that game was a whopper.