RIP Elmore Leonard

One of the greats when it comes to writing about crime.

Very sad. Great writer who really knew how to touch modern sensibilities through hard boiled noir.

Damn. Shitty way to start my morning. I have to admit that I didn’t realize he was as old as he was. I thought he was in his 70’s late 60’s.

RIP

For some reason I am usually sadder when an author passes away than a movie/tv star. I am thinking because reading a book seems more intimate?

RIP. If Hammett and Chandler were the voice of American crime fiction in the 1st half of the 20th century, Leonard was the voice of the 2nd half.

RIP. Great writer.

I only knew his work through Justified, but I love the show so much. RIP sir.

Yeah, I care a lot more about writers than about most other creative types, for some reason. And I liked Leonard’s stuff a lot, too. Very slick, but with a heart and soul.

Weird timing as I started reading Raylan Sunday night.

Fans of his crime fiction should also check out his Western fiction which I think is even better.

One of my all-time favorite writers. This is sad news but he had a good long life and kept writing and writing well up to the end.

Here’s the first two paragraphs of his novel Freaky Deaky. I just love this opening:

Chris Mankowski’s last day on the job, two in the afternoon, two hours to go, he got a call to dispose of a bomb.

What happened, a guy by the name of Booker, a twenty-five-year-old super-dude twice-convicted felon, was in his Jacuzzi when the phone rang. He yelled for his bodyguard Juicy Mouth to take it. “Hey, Juicy?” His bodyguard, his driver and his houseman were around somewhere. “Will somebody get the phone?” The phone kept ringing. The phone must have rung fifteen times before Booker got out of the Jacuzzi, put on his green satin robe that matched the emerald pinned to his left earlobe and picked up the phone. Booker said, “Who’s this?” A woman’s voice said, “You sitting down?” The phone was on a table next to a green leather wingback chair. Booker loved green. He said, “Baby, is that you?” It sounded like his woman, Moselle. Her voice said, “Are you sitting down? You have to be sitting down for when I tell you something.” Booker said, “Baby, you sound different. What’s wrong?” He sat down in the green leather chair, frowning, working his butt around to get comfortable. The woman’s voice said, “Are you sitting down?” Booker said, “I AM. I have sat the fuck down. Now you gonna talk to me, what?” Moselle’s voice said, “I’m suppose to tell you that when you get up, honey, what’s left of your ass is gonna go clear through the ceiling.”

RIP a tremendous writer and voice.

Fuck fuck fuck. One of my favorite writers. We need to abolish this “death” thing…it’s really bumming me out.

Thanks for many an entertaining hour, Elmore.

I’ve never read any Leonard, but love Justified. What books do you guys recommend I start with?

Well shit. I didn’t know this author at all but now I really want to read that book.

RIP, Mister Leonard. I didn’t know you before but I will from this day forth!

Guess I’d better stop at Chapters on the way home today…

I haven’t read many of his books, but I loved Out Of Sight. One of those rare occasions when a great book made a great movie.

Well if you want to start with Justified’s Raylen Givens then go with Pronto, Riding The Rap and then Raylan. I started with those three (although I read his complete Western Stories first, which is best spread around other books I think). My reading order then went something like - Swag, Stick, Out Of Sight, La Brava, Road Dogs. I’ve got Maximum Bob up next, sometime soonish.

Comfort To The Enemy and Other Carl Webster Stories is one of my favorites by Leonard.

So, according to Audible they have a collection of short stories (including Fire in the Hole) by Leonard, narrated by Taye Diggs. I don’t think I can turn that down.