RIP Nancy Reagan

TMZ reporting her death this morning.

94. Had a wonderful life.

Stay tuned for pious pilgrimages and pontification from the surviving GOP candidates.

Guardian just reported the Reagan Library has announced the death.

If Nancy had not married him Ronald Reagan would likely have been nothing more than a beloved actor with the beginnings of Alzheimer’s rather than President of the United States.

Think about that.

My elementary school teacher’s father was the one who married Ron and Nancy.

Perlstein’s Invisible Bridge is both brutal and admiring of her in that regard, in kind of equal measures. He gets a bit grumpy, and understandably so, that an actress with Miss Davis’s widely known reputation in Hollywood would turn into such a vehement “Family issues” Republican, but admiring of her ability to skillfully steer Ronnie towards that destination.

Best response yet to Drumpf.

Too soon?

Heh. I’ll say this for her: she became an active and vigorous champion for Alzheimer’s research, a subject near and dear to my heart. For that, I owe her great thanks.

Reading this morning I learned that Ronnie married her because he’d gotten her pregnant. Had no idea.

Relevant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggjeLMpyd2U

I wonder if watching the Republican Debates killed her. I hope she was too ill to watch the campaign this year.

I thought she was a Lich. My bad.

Reagan’s staff found especially exasperating the need to clear the president’s schedule with a first lady who placed so much reliance upon a West Coast astrologer, Joan Quigley. That had been true since the beginning in Sacramento when Reagan was inaugurated as governor at midnight because, it was reported, that was the hour this woman set after perusing the zodiac. On a number of occasions, Deaver would spend days working out an intricate itinerary for the president’s travels down to the last detail only to be told that he had to scrap everything because the astrologer had determined that the stars were not properly aligned. Horoscopes fixed the day and hour of such major events as presidential debates and summit meetings with Soviet leaders. The president’s most important aide said, “We were paralyzed by this craziness.”

Via Salon.

Hmm, makes sense in a way. If you believe all that crap, trickle down economics isn’t much of a stretch.