RIP Neil Armstrong

I remember as a 7-year old being allowed to stay up past midnight to watch the landing. Just that for me then was a big deal. I followed the space program for the rest of my life (though that really started on Christmas Eve with Apollo 8), and went into a science/engineering career… I think as a result…it sure wasn’t my family influence. It was just what was front-and-center in the news for a kid back then when you start creating those world views of what matters.

Armstrong was a small part of the whole Apollo program (and he would, and did, acknowledge that), but he was the representative to the world. And he was an admirable one. Competent, humble. I was glad when he went public recently with his opposition to the U.S.'s abandonment of any manned space program for what will probably be my lifetime.

Goodbye Mr. Armstrong. Thanks.

BTY, I thought this was funny…I never saw this before:

Goddamned, Tyler. That made me tingle down to my shins.

So I proceeded, I said 'What, what do we have here tonight? What do we have here tonight? This…is the result of six billion years of evolution, this very evening…We’re sitting here in this studio…our men have been on the Moon two hours…it took billions of years for this Earth to cool, for the rains to fall, for the oceans to form, for the animalcules to come out of the chemistry and ferment of the seas. For the small creatures of the sea to give up their gills, to build spines, to crawl out on the land, to hide in the caves, to, to seek the trees, to come down out of the jungles. To till the fields, to build the cities, to envy the birds, to SEE THE STARS! To…revile gravity and…finally wish to wind up somewhere else except riveted here to this tombstone Earth! Tonight, we have given the lie to gravity! We have reached for the stars. We have touched down on another world! After six billion years of evolution, and you refuse to celebrate? TO HELL WITH YOU!

Passing of a legend. While he was the first on the moon, humanity’s greatest achievement to date, he remained humble until the last, realizing that the work of millions through thousands of years of prior great achievements culminated with that step.

(Posted earlier on another forum by me, but I feel I should leave tribute here on Qt3 as well, such a great, great man we’ve lost today.)

My parents woke me up to see Neil Armstrong step on the moon.

I was barely two months old.

RIP, Neil.

I was the ripe old age of 2 when I got to witness Neil Armstrong’s famous leap. My parents knew how historic this was so kept me up to see it, although I’m sure any “memories” I have of it are based on seeing those famous images replayed through the years. It made an impression, though, as I’ve been a big space buff ever since.

RIP, Neil - a great pilot and an even better man.

My parents were likely in the minority of Americans that missed seeing it. They got married the day before and were in upstate New York (Indian Lake, Adirondacks) on their honeymoon with no electricity. Yeah, they do regret it a bit. But Mom was at Shea Stadium for the Beatles and they got to enjoy lots of sex, drugs, and rock and roll before the world got all uptight in time for my generation to hit the scene.

Somewhere around here, I have an autographed photo of his footprint on the moon that my mom got from the man himself when she worked in DC back in the 70s.

I should see if I can find it, and pull it out and just gaze at it in awe.

They don’t make 'em like that anymore.

Here is a terrific recent (2011) interviewwith Neil Armstrong. The last part has a pretty cool side by side comparison with Google Earth/Moon pictures and the original Apollo 11, with Neil doing a play by play.

Listening to the man you realize that as kids say now days, the man had “mad skillz”.

He was also an engineers engineer and he and his fellow astronauts inspire so many of us to get involved in science and engineering.

Armstrong offered the following self-portrait: “I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer, born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace and propelled by compressible flow.”

Probably one of the few people who ever lived who will be remembered a thousand years after his death.

I’ll add one word to that, “favorably.” You don’t get many that are known for their good works alone.

He was an engineer at heart. A geek. But he needed moon gravity to carry that (huge) pair in a comfy way. So he sat at the top of a giant bomb with a couple of crazy guys.

RIP man. They don’t make 'em like you these days.

Mr. Armstrong’s passing has put my dad into a funk. Neil Armstrong and Eugene Cernan were classmates with my dad at Purdue–dad was an EE and ended up in mission control for project mercury while the other two guys ended up flying.

Because they’re all around the same age and he suffers from the same type of cardiovascular problems that Mr. Armstrong did, dad is now convinced he’s not long for this world either. Nothing you can really say to that other than “maybe, dad. maybe.”

Your old man helped to put human beings on the moon? Next time you see him tell him that a random internet dude called Brendan thanks him for being awesome.

Your dad knew the first man to step on the moon and the last man to step off of it? Too cool.

LoK, a dude named Rich thinks your dad is way cool too.

Ditto for me, please tell your dad that no less than three random internet guys think he is pretty much as cool as it is possible to be.

Funeral and memorial service here for Mr. Armstrong today. Lots of cool spaceheads in town, as well as some other famous folks. Very sad day all around. Looking out my office window I can see Proctor & Gamble world headquarters and they have removed all the foriegn flags they usually fly and have only the U.S. flags out, and those are at half mast. A fitting tribute, as we likely won’t see heroes like Mr. Armstrong again in our lifetime.

Add an Internet gal to the list, Kong.

Post a picture, if you can.

Interesting discussion of the Apollo astronauts and their legacy.

Buzz will always by my hero for punching out Bart Sibrel. Give 'em hell, Buzz!