RIP Olivia Newton-John, dead at 73

This could go in movies or music and probably should be linked to both somehow. As with many young men that went to see Grease in the theatre, I had a huge star crush on her. And that continued even until her recent appearances over the last few years.

So sad to see she passed but it sounds like it was peaceful at least.

Oh no!

:(

SHIT!

Ugh. My first crush.

Aw, I guess she made it to Xanadu.

https://youtu.be/cLi8fTlDEag

One of my first crushes, thanks to Xanadu. RIP madam.

That song is so great, but the extended version with the electro/roller-disco/marching band intro part adds so much. What a terrible/great movie that is.

RIP. I saw this picture last week. She looked great in it.
Left to right: Olivia Newton-John, Helen Reddy, Minnie Riperton and Linda Ronstad

Side note: Every time I see this movie, I wonder what the heck happened to poor Michael Beck. He was in The Warriors, an excellent film. Then he did this…and then he did MegaForce (a movie I love but is admittedly terrible and was also a bomb like Xanadu)…and I’m like…what were you thinking, man?

I remember coming home from school and watching Xanadu in the afternoons, taped off of HBO. I unironically love that movie, and man was I in love with Kira.

(I’m seeing a local production of Xanadu the musical later this month. If you haven’t heard about it, it’s worth looking up!)

RIP to a GD legend.

Ps - I love that there’s more references in here to Xanadu than Grease.

If you held a gun to my head and made me choose, I’d choose Xanadu every time.

The part with her in it is the same, I think (the second half). But yeah, that intro craziness is amazing, nice one. :)

It’s like a cult ceremony or something.

I imagine Rapture had opening ceremonies something like that, before all the little sisters and splicer stuff came along.

I think the only issue isn’t how good it was, but that Grease is over-represented on any streaming platform and reruns … ever. Xanadu was awesome but seemed like a niche movie from the get go. And I think that’s why we cherish it.

It’s the perfect blend of the 70s transitioning into the 80s.

Say what you will about the movie (liked it as a kid, realized as an adult it was pretty terrible), but without question, Xanadu has one of the best movie soundtracks ever.

As a huge ELO fan AND an Olivia Newton-John fan, I agree!

This. ELO and The Tubes and OLJ.