RIP Roky Erickson

Sail on Roky Erickson. Dead as of Friday at age 71. Tortured soul who was responsible for some fantastic psych records (Psychedelic Sounds Of and Easter Everywhere are just total classics) as the 13th Floor Elevators and one of the best singles ever (“Starry Eyes”).

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/02/729007990/were-gonna-miss-him-roky-erickson-brought-soulfulness-to-psychedelia

Good article. Tragic story. I had no idea. Thanks.
My only exposure to him has been recently through another band’s cover of his work, so I only know one song, but it’s a good one:

He was the subject of a documentary:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

I’m a huge fan of The Evil One and really enjoyed his mid-80s Dont Slander Me era output.

Love the opening lines of Bloody Hammer, so simple so creepy:

Demon is up in the attic to the left
My eye turns to the left to say no

Here’s a weird thing I found on Vimeo, with a bunch of songs and interviews with people who knew him…I think his mom is in there and some bandmates.

The doc from a few years ago, “You’re Gonna Miss Me” used to be streaming on Netflix, but now I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Too bad…it was pretty good.

Yeah, I couldn’t find it streaming either. All I could find were a few copies of the DVD on eBay, and they are quite expensive. The cheapest one I saw was about $50.

literally dozens of LSD trips

Sheeeeeeeeeit, only dozens?

RIP.

A great cover from a Norwegian band: