RIP Rose Marie

94 is a pretty good run.

She’s been one of my favorite twitter follows for the past few months. Still seemed to have a very sharp mind, and her utter delight in all of us “kids” discovering or re-discovering her comedic gifts was wonderful.

Wow, I always enjoyed watching her! She always had a sharp wit.

Loved her on the Dick Van Dyke show. Wow, her and Mary Tyler Moore this year. Sad.

I love that in the last year she was happy to embrace her role as a model for the modern woman via her role playing a writer – not a housewife, secretary, or maid – on the Dick Van Dyke show.

And she also stepped right up and told her own #MeToo story.

We should all live to be so old and be 1% as awesome.

A truly great lady.

I haven’t thought about that show in years, but Rose Marie’s death brought it all back to me clearly. I could vividly visualize the office setting and everyone’s positions within it.

I’m having a sudden urge to watch a few episodes.
Oh, awesome. There are a ton of them on Youtube.

I watched that show for the most part when I was a child. I didn’t realize at the time that the show was over my head, and intended for a much more mature audience. I could appreciate some of the humor, and I enjoyed all of the characters, but some of the themes (I could be remembering this wrong) seemed quite dark for a comedy.

For instance, there was one episode I remember where Dick Van Dyke was having a nightmare, and the nightmare was depicted complete with all of the surrealism that nightmares really can contain. That episode was actually terrifying for me to watch, and I had my own nightmares about it. At that time, I was experiencing my own “night terrors” as a child, so maybe it was just hitting too close to home, but wow, it had an effect on me.

Filtered only through my childhood memories of it, if I had one word to describe that show, I’d choose “surreal”. Certainly not comedy. I just remember so much weird shit going on, and me being disturbed by it more than once. And yet I loved it.

It’ll be interesting to see it now as an adult, but I’m almost afraid to. Not because of being disturbed by it again, but rather because I’ll probably be thinking, “What did I ever find disturbing about this?”

I was also thinking about it just the other day, specifically the episode where Buddy (Morey Amsterdam) is sneaking around and everyone assumes he’s having an affair. Turns out he’s taking Bar Mitzvah lessons because he was ashamed he was never Bar Mitzvahed as a boy and was going to do it.

That’s the first TV character I remember who was definitively identified as Jewish

I never met any Jewish person until I was in my late 20s. She was a girl I dated in New York City. She told me that some Jewish people put all blue lights on their houses at Christmas time and I had seen houses decorated that way in my hometown, but had no idea that’s what it had meant. It’s a little embarrassing to admit, but I thought Jewish people were something from the bible and wasn’t even sure if they were real or something from olden times or maybe even religious doctrine.

I guess I am reviving an old topic with a digression, but I’ve got it all type out so I’m just going to post it. I don’t know how this thread bubbled up into my read queue! If wumpus were still here, I would complain.

Yeah, I was pretty shocked when I learned there were multiple religions. Not that I was particularly knowledgeable about any of them. But the idea that there were these invisible rules, and that people could be one thing but not be another, made me suspicious. The other kids weren’t very nice about it either.

I’ve never heard of this and none of my family or Jewish friends have either. Are you sure you aren’t confusing it with a menorah?

As to the thread necro, when I saw it my first response was “She’s still alive?”. I guess not.

No, blue lights. A menorah is completely different. I’m talking about the whole house decked out in lights, but they’re all blue. I guess anyone could put up all blue lights if they like how it looks. I see people do it with white lights, like an icicle thing, all the time. All of any other color is sort of unusual, so I tend to believe it is true. She was a nice Jewish girl from a Jewish family, so I just assume she knew the inside scoop.

I’m Jewish, and grew up in a town where pretty much everyone was either Jewish or Catholic. I was pretty shocked when I learned that Christianity encompassed more than Catholicism.

I was raised Catholic but I had a very similar experience. I went to Catholic school and they didn’t talk about Protestants at all. It was a very small town with a LOT of churches, but the lines were all drawn around ethnicity. So like Irish, German, and Italian Catholic churches. I knew there were other Christian churches, but the penny didn’t drop until I was like 12 or 13 and ended up at an Evangelical church, which really blew my mind.

My first overnight experience at an Evangelical McCathedral/McTemple was an eye-opener.

That sounds like the plot to an “R” rated movie. :)

I decorate my house in blue lights and have had a few people ask why I had a Jewish house. I just like the way it looks and no one else has a house that looks like it.