RIP Stephen Hawking

Breaking news. Dead at 76.

Well. Fuck.

So sad…

I know this is going to sound really dumb, but I had this bizarre notion that he was just going to … live forever. I mean, not literally, not really, but like a long time. He had lived with his crippling disability for so long, I guess I just felt like he could keep cranking. Really extra irrationally bummed now.

I was just saying this exact thing to someone in Discord. It shouldn’t be a surprise, he was 76 with ALS, but yeah… he just seemed like someone who was always going to be there.

Oh nooooooo :(

Need to re-balance things by having the White House spontaneously combust.

I know what you mean. I felt humanity would honour him by installing him as the AI of our first star-faring ship a la Karen Sjet in Homeworld.

I may have learned more from reading his books than from any actual physics professor I had.

And that’s not because my physics professors were bad.

Aw, man. I just watched The Theory of Everything the other week. Terrible movie, but it got me to start reading one of his books. Fascinating dude.

Well fuck.

My sister told me he wasn’t expected to live past twenty or something, early in life. He proved a lot of people wrong in a lot of different ways. He’ll be missed.

His writing inspired me deeply both as a child and as an adult. May he rest in peace.

He was given 2 years to live after getting diagnosed with ALS.
They were off by 53 years.

Pour one out for the OG Quakemaster.

RIP. His genius benefited us all.

!!!

A world without Hawking in it. I can’t even.

I think it is fitting that he died on Pi Day.

Some of my Intel colleagues helped with computerizing Steven Hawkings. It was the thrill of a lifetime for them, and feel good moment for the rest of us. I was happy to see long after I left the firm they were still helping him out.

I struggled to finish a Brief History of Time, several times and finally made it through. I wish I could claim I really understood it.

I remember his guest appearance on Star Trek: TNG, where he played cards with (I think) Data and Albert Einstein.