RIP Tom Petty - Singer/Songwriter Dead at 66

Well, dead or alive, this was a good excuse for me to go all Tom Petty tonight.

I’m so glad I saw Runnin’ Down a Dream. It gave me a whole new appreciation for him as an artist.

All rock docs should be four hours long so you have time to tell the full life story AND watch numerous complete song performances. Essential viewing!

Well, no. But divex3 is probably correct, that this is likely a Carrie Fisher situation. Your heart stops and you stop breathing for more than about 5-10 minutes, and you’re gone, even if they can get you technically alive on modern hospital equipment. They may do so to allow family and friends to have their final goodbyes.

Perhaps it isn’t that dire, but this appears to be that type of situation.

AP reporting that he’s gone. RIP.

Full statement:

Well, crap. Here’s to you, man. I’ve had decades of joy from your music and will continue to for as long as I live, I’m sure.

God, what a hell of a songwriter. Hell. Of. A. Songwriter.

Amazing and towering figure in rock. One of my favorites; Damn the Torpedoes has been in my collection for ages, and throughout his career he’s produced an astounding variety of great music.

One of my favorites is Last Dance with Mary Jane:

“Well I don’t know what I’ve been told
You never slow down, you never grow old
I’m tired of screwing up, I’m tired of goin’ down
I’m tired of myself, I’m tired of this town
Oh my my, oh hell yes
Honey put on that party dress
Buy me a drink, sing me a song,
Take me as I come 'cause I can’t stay long.”

RIP.

I just cursed earlier, couldn’t find any other words.

One of my favorites. His work helped define my college years. In fact, my freshman year, a group of us hung out in the student union every day between classes (if we bothered to attend). They used to play “Refugee” almost endlessly on the stereo system in the lounge/restaurant we hung out in there. It really was the soundtrack of my first year in college.

You will be sorely missed, Tom.

Well that sucks. I was hoping it was a case of the media’s misreporting being way off.

I guess he was most evident to me as a presence during the Full Moon Madness era. I liked how they used Little Nemo for the music video of ‘Running Down a Dream,’ and I’ve always loved the guitar solo that closes that song out.

Anyway, 66 is way too young.

It’s a little off topic, but if you’re talking about Tom Petty’s sound it’s kind of hard to disentangle from Mike Campbell’s guitars. They were together from the start, and Tom even used him on his solo albums.

Campbell and Benmont Tench on organ/keys were the secret weapons of the last 30 years of rock and roll, for sure.

The coolest trick Tom Petty pulled off: he got 1970s and 80s kids listening to what was essentially American Elvis Costello & the Attractions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12f1HLd_n8I

This made me smile.

Petty was one of the background soundtracks to my high school and college years (1976 - 1985). Ubiquitous on the radio, parties, dances. Unlike many artists of the time, I didn’t turn the radio off when his songs came on, although I didn’t buy many of his albums until my late 20’s and 30’s.

I always thought that most of his songs were based on simple rhythms and sounded a lot alike … but each one still sounded unique. I can listen to them back-to-back for an hour.

I’m always amazed at rock musicians who can keep being relevant for decades. Sorry he’s gone so (relatively) young.

I hijacked my wife’s Sirius radio the past 2 days, turned off the Broadway channel, and listened to the Tom Petty channel.

Sorry.

http://www.tompetty.com/statement

TOM PETTY PASSED AWAY DUE TO AN ACCIDENTAL DRUG OVERDOSE AS A RESULT OF TAKING A VARIETY OF MEDICATIONS.

UNFORTUNATELY TOM’S BODY SUFFERED FROM MANY SERIOUS AILMENTS INCLUDING EMPHYSEMA, KNEE PROBLEMS AND MOST SIGNIFICANTLY A FRACTURED HIP.

AS A FAMILY WE RECOGNIZE THIS REPORT MAY SPARK A FURTHER DISCUSSION ON THE OPIOID CRISIS AND WE FEEL THAT IT IS A HEALTHY AND NECESSARY DISCUSSION AND WE HOPE IN SOME WAY THIS REPORT CAN SAVE LIVES. MANY PEOPLE WHO OVERDOSE BEGIN WITH A LEGITIMATE INJURY OR SIMPLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE POTENCY AND DEADLY NATURE OF THESE MEDICATIONS.

That’s really sad but I’m glad that they made the statement. I wish they hadn’t made it in all caps. :\

At least it wasn’t comic sans.

I never would have guessed that he had emphysema.