Ripd

The trailer looks horrible to me. I cannot imagine this movie being any good.

Has Ryan Reynolds been in anything good? (Aside from Scarlett, of course).

I’m surprised that studios continue to put him in these big budget movies. I can’t remember a single hit.

But, yeah, this looks pretty bad.

I liked Safe House and Smokin’ Aces.

But yeah, between RIPD and Green Lantern, I can’t see him getting too many big-budget starring roles anytime soon. Not that it’s his fault crap movies are crap, but maybe he needs a new agent.

I liked Smokin’ Aces too, but in a “hey, this is better than it deserves to be” sort of way, so not really an endorsement of Reynolds. IMDB reminds me he was in Buried, which I really liked, but other than that I couldn’t find anything else he stood out in.

I think he could’ve been a good Deadpool, but the Deadpool we got in Wolverine was a pretty terrible interpretation of the character that I can’t really blame on Reynolds. FOX is apparently kicking around the idea of an X-Force movie, which could either be the best (Remender era) or worst (Liefeld) idea ever, but if it goes right, I’d be fine with giving him a shot again in that role.

Saw this last night – dragged in by a 12 year old. It was terrible. Jeff Bridges should be embarrassed though I suppose the check he cashed made him feel better. I don’t think Ryan Reynolds can be the lead in a movie – he’s really not much of an actor. Put him in a supporting role where he gets to look good and make a few wisecracks and he’s ok (he’d be fine in a JLA movie), but he can’t carry a film even when he’s got Jeff Bridges as a co-star in a buddy film.

The writing was terrible. The dialog was painfully unfunny – Jeff Bridges making jokes such as, “Now THAT scared the shit out of me!” in his Rooster Cogburn voice – and even the special effects were struck the wrong note. It’s basically Men in Black with dead people instead of aliens but without any of the marginal charm or wit of Men in Black. And I rate Men in Black as a mostly forgettable film.

But what did your 12 year old think?

He was solid in Smokin Aces, one of the few good things about Blade Trinity, was very good in a romantic comedy called Definitely Maybe, and solid in Adventureland.

He outshone a stellar cast in Safe House, too.

She liked it.

Obviously, she was the target demographic. Congrats, Mark, Hollywood doesn’t care about you!

Heh. Well, if it had just been up to the level of quality of Men in Black I would have enjoyed it more. That’s not an extremely high hurdle.

And I realized some time ago that Hollywood doesn’t care about me. All I have to do is look at the current movie listings and see, more often than not, that there isn’t a single movie showing I’m interested in. That’s why I have Netflix. Netflix cares about me!

Netflix does. I’m currently watching their version of House of Cards, and it’s excellent. And highly reminiscent of the kind of original material HBO has been doing.

To be honest, I think that undervalues the quality of MIB 1.

I guess I’m one of the few who agree with Mark that MiB 1 was a pretty bad movie. Something that at best falls into the “guilty pleasure” category, since it’s mostly a pointless mishmash of one-off scenes, most of which don’t contribute to the story in any way.

Looks like a huge bomb at the box office. It looks to do $12M or less in its opening weekend.

Another vote for Adventureland. Maybe he’s better in supporting roles?

All I remember about Blade 3 is (A) it was largely terrible, (B) the AV Arc was kinda cool, and (C) no, seriously, it was pretty terrible. I guess if Bearded Dudes in Chains is your thing, Ryan’s your man; but otherwise I’m blanking on anything memorable he did in B3.

He had the typical supporting role. Look good, get off some good quips. Since the Blade movies are devoid of humor the quips worked, as I remember.

I haven’t liked him in anything I’ve seen him in. Blade Trinity was bad but he made it even worse. The only thing I’ve seen him in where his acting didn’t offend me was some romantic comedy with Sandra Bullock. It was ok as far as those types of movies go. Someone said he needs to get another agent - I say he’s got a fantastic agent, the guy is terrible.

The quips were obnoxiously annoying.