Rise of Flight : Now with Red Baron 3D-esque dynamic campaign

I posted this in the flight sim thread, but thought it was big enough news to warrant it’s own thread.

Rise of Flight now has a fully dynamic campaign inspired by Red Baron 3D (but with a lot
more functionality, such as directing an entire squadron’s actions).

It’s a free in the latest patch for the game.

Here’s the skinny:

The Development Team is happy to inform you that we have achieved an important milestone in our product’s evolution. For over a year we have worked hard to reach this point and are at last ready to introduce you to the result of all that effort. Specifically, we’re talking about the new “Career” mode. This new Career will revive some of the gameplay which was so popular in “Red Baron 3D”. Of course, we did not simply replicate a feature that has been developed before. Instead we have taken the most interesting aspects from the basic career concept and supplemented it with numerous new abilities and features as allowed by modern technology and the wider “Rise of Flight” platform.

The new Career gives you the ability to follow the combat path of a WWI aviator encompassing all the major features of the combat experience including: real airbases, a weather calendar with seasonal changes, and plane models and liveries that correspond accurately to both friendly and enemy squadrons and time of war.

Your Career opportunities are directly dependent on your achievements. So if you prove yourself to be a strong combatant, you will be given the honor of commanding your squadron. It is at this point that the second major part of the Career will be opened to you: the ability to plan your squadron sorties as assigned by front line commanders. To each sortie you will assign pilots, planes, payloads, and fuel. You will plan the flight route and tactics at each point along this route. Also as Commander, if sufficient time between sorties is available, you may fly lone free-hunting missions where you can demonstrate that you not only have the mettle to command but the skills of an Ace as well.

Additionally, the new Career brings new and unique gameplay features which have been specifically developed for customers flying their Career as a Recon pilot. Several completely new mission types have been designed for reconnaissance and include a special interface that will allow you to interact with friendly ground forces via telegraph and to perform photo-reconnaissance with an on-board camera. Vigilance and attention to detail will serve you well should you choose to become a recon pilot.

A special approach has been developed for multiengine heavy bombing in the new Career. In accordance to historical data, heavy bombing sorties will be performed mostly at dawn, dusk and, if moonlight allows, at night. Incorporated in nighttime mission design are separated takeoffs each signaled by flare and independent performance of the mission plan by each assigned plane. In low light the home aerodrome will be marked by takeoff/landing zone bonfires and a “landing safe” flare.

The Career includes an award system which is based on historical awarding precedent. It also incorporates a built-in GUI leader board which will show the Career achievements of other players both as individuals and as squadron members. Your pilot will have a biography, photo, age, name and surname.

All Career events are GUI visualized with special messages about world news events, inclement weather, losses, replacement of planes and personnel, relocations and other important events of your squadron life.

awesome, now I just need a stick. I bought this game when it came out and was a bit sad the campaign wasn’t in yet. Lost my stick and haven’t played since.

Now I need to find a cheap stick.

Oh sweet. Gotta fire that up again.

I guess RoF isn’t on Steam. What’s the DRM situation if I buy it via download?

Holy crap! I imagine this will make the OFF folks sad

Brilliant! It’s about time this came out, they’ve been teasing it for a while.

I bought this when it came out, but can’t find any info on where I got it from to re-get it. The company’s not very helpful and just tells me to contact where I bought it from. thanks.

At the time I bought it I think it was only available at one outlet, it wasn’t in full release yet. Anyone here know who had it first?

I bought mine from Direct2Drive. I think that’s the only outlet that carries it in the US.

OK - what do I have to buy/build to run this? I’m sure it won’t run on my couple of year old XPS M1710 Dell notebook. I assume. But I will build/buy whatever I need to be able to play this.

This will be one of the first games I buy after I build a new PC. :)

What’s a good cheap stick these days?

The logitech extreme 3d pro is still great after almost seven years.

Can you play this with mouse and keyboard?

You can, but it would not be fun at all. Luckily, as it’s a simple WWI airplane, a decent joystick with a throttle on it will do the trick.

Edit: Errr, yes, and you would want twist on the handle for rudder too.

(arghhhhhhhh…) That’s like playing Wii Sports with a regular gamepad!

I haven’t tried it but this looks to be a good deal at the $35 price point:

A nice feature on this one is it has a twist stick for the rudder, or you can use an analog rocker switch on the throttle. It’s certainly no full-on HOTAS but should have more than enough buttons for RoF.

It seems the Logitech 3D Pro and Saitek Cyborg X-Flight are also pretty good in that price range.

So, it’s pretty cool, but the first thing I was confronted with when I started it up was a bunch of squadrons I couldn’t select because I didn’t own the planes they used. Pretty sneaky.

thanks for trying, it’s not on my d2d list though. Might be stuck not being able to play it even though I bought it day one. Kind of sucks.

Could it be justflight.com?

Wow, i’m kinda fascinated slash horrified at how Direct2Drive’s “Gamespy Comrade” sort of pretends like it’s the thing that installed all my Steam games. That’s brilliant slash evil.