Rise of Legends: Saturday after release, 33 people playing

Well I’m free now if anyone wants to play, the problem with single player seemed to go away, I’m not stuck at the mission before the north east campaign goal for campaign 2.

That is the sum total of my experience with RTS, including RTS I really really liked, like Kohan 1 and Homeworld. Multiplayer just ruins the game experience in those cases.

Isn’t this kind of self-fulfilling? Rather than have to face losing, average people just don’t play, so there are no average people to play?

A good matchmaking system and player base resolves that issue (other than the idiot smurfers), but it can not be resolved if people are too afraid of being beaten to at least play and establish a mid-level ranking.

Can anyone confirm whether circuit city is selling it for $35?

I plan on picking it up tomorrow. Can’t say whether I’m going to be up for multiplayer or not… I’ve been hooked on the demo for the past 2 days but don’t have much, if any, skill to show for it. It’s safe to say I suck. Having never played RoN, it’s all so…overwhelming…even only with the demo’s 2 playable races.

confirmed. it’s in their weekly flyer, and I saw it in stores.

Feh, the gamespy experiences is turning pretty sour. We just spent nearly 2 hours trying to get some QT3 team vs team games going and got exactly 0 games to work :(. It’s pretty frustrating. The gamespy interface is quite nice, but the connectivity seems very poor.

I wonder if they will patch in direct IP or some other sort of solution? Or if they fix the Gamespy? I consider fixing Gamespy to be a low probability given the long history of poor performance I’ve seen with Gamespy RTS.

Grr, I really like this game but not being able to play a team online game is frustrating.

Dan

I’m entirely the opposite. I will not play an RTS online, although I would play it on a LAN with people I know.

There were 138 people online tonight, so apparently some were just holding out for sales.

Like sharpe said, we had about 8 people on and tried to get a game going with no luck. I played a 1v1 and had a great back and forth battle going to about 45 minutes, until the game froze up and I crashed to desktop.

That was an AWESOME match! Me and Robertdp vs Perisomething and Jackalsomeone (sorry, I know I have all your names wrong). Lot of back and forth, until finally I took out Peri, then Jackal took me out with the glass dragon, but Robert brought out the City of Vengeance, and took out Jackal’s capital at the same time that Jackal was conquering his. Then Robert warped back with his Cuotl Powarz and took his own city back, game over. Almost makes up for the 234587349 attempts at getting a game going prior to that but having it not launch or players be unable to connect.

man…i was really wanting to play some last night too.

I am pretty sure it is not me being the problem, as i have opened up every port that they listed…and I did connect to a game (then one of us got dropped). It must have been me, cause I ended up with the loss.

Chris

This is disappointing to hear, because it is the very same problem that plagued (and I think ultimately killed multiplayer) for RoN.

That being said, I have not had a single problem to this point. Contradicting my original post (though I believe it is for a limited time), getting a 1v1 game became even easier through Saturday and Sunday, as more people were indeed on (approximately 130 as previously stated). Of course that is not necessarily good for the first big “pop” weekend for a new game, but we’ll see.

I have not, however, tried setting up any team games, so perhaps there is something specific to that. I do think that the game browser gives false messages; it often says it is setting up a game (or starting, or whatever exact phrase it uses) when it very clearly is not. I have found that if I just let the thing run as it is intended, it always finds a game in time (generally less than a couple of minutes).

I think it is a pity that the wording is screwed up; I could see a lot of people seeing “Starting game,” waiting for 30 seconds with no change, figuring the game is busted, and just quitting.

http://66.134.89.225/~sic/nettest.html

We had some similar problems with connectivity with DoW. It turns out a few of us had our port forwarding messed up. This checks that the proper ones are forwarded. It’s for DoW… but I think the ports required are the same.

It was discovered late last night that Tom and I could not be in the same game at the same time, but we were both playing other games with no problem. I took a look at that link and saw that I had correctly opened 6112. I went ahead and opened all of the ports they list Gamespy as “maybe” needing. (What the fuck is that, by the way? Why aren’t any of those ports listed in anybody’s documentation anywhere?) So, if it’s ever going to work for me, it should now.

Networking problems aside, I had a ton of fun. I am roberdjp, so that description of the awesome teleport to break siege on the base in the last couple of seconds was me. I also played a few one on one matches, and a good time was had by all.

I am in the minority here, I think, in that I could never get into Rise of Nations. I bought it on the strength of recommendations here, played it for 4 or 5 hours, and put it down, never to return. I was terrified that I wouldn’t like this either (never tried the demos), but have been very pleasantly surprised – I think that I don’t like my RTS games in any way realistic.

Anyway, the mechanics of this game are prenty daunting for someone unfamiliar with RON, but I feel like I’m starting to get the hang of my race of choice (Cuotl). I feel like I’m doing most of the right things, but I don’t know WHY they are the right things.

I’m looking forward to these connection bugs getting ironed out so that I can get my ass kicked by a wider variety of Qt3 people.

I have even given myself a static ip…forwarded all the ports i could find listed…but still 6112 is giving me problems, and that is why i cannot get the game going online.

that test link keeps saying that a NAT was detected. HOW do i get around that? I cannot find any info anywhere about this situation.

Also…why, if gamespy is constantly proven NOT to work well, do games keep using it?

If you have a software firewall and/or antivirus, try disabling both of them (not just adding an exception for ROL or the port).

And if you want to get really fancy, you could move your computer into your router’s DMZ.

I think if you can’t open up the other ports, you’ll live. But you NEED 6112.

Try turning off the firewall, that always works for me.

I turned off my firewall and antivirus just because, and forward 6112 in the router, and I’m pretty sure Tom did the same, and we could not connect.

Also, I got the impression that Jackal guy works for BHG, and he seemed pretty baffled by all the connection trouble too.

If this doesn’t work without me shifting into DMZ, I will be very, very pissed.

Note how Civ 4 works without me having to mess around with ports? Why can’t all PC games be that user friendly?

Troy

I got it from GoGamer today and it came in a Singapore DVD case with 4 CDs :-( Although I like DVD cases better than retail boxes, it would’ve been nice to have the game on one DVD.

Well, I finally played a 2on2 game, today random, and it was pretty bad. The lag was horrible, which I think came from my partner. He actually spent the first 2 minutes of the match not playing but on the phone.

Also I think I ran into a hacker just now. Within 2 minutes of the game he had a vinci hero, burrowing spider and clockwork sniper along with 2 musketeers. Which at the cost of all that is impossible to have enough timinonium to buy a hero and 2 industrial districts, and probably a miliatry district within that period of time. Also I never got the summoned hero message, does anyone know how to save replays?