Rise of Nations post-mortem

…at Gamasutra. Written by Tim Train and Brian Reynolds.

Good stuff but you have to register with the site if you aren’t already.

I’m not going to register so just give me the punch line…

Do they make any admission that the crash bugs were problematic for people or do they just cover their asses and provide excuses like “this game was the most well tested game I’ve ever worked on.”

Sadly, no discussion of post-release topics whatsoever, which does appear to be a major sore spot with this title.

So does anybody else have any complaints? Let’s pile them all in here, in this one topic, which is completely unrelated to any problems people might be having with the game. Jesus H. Christ…pretty soon you people will be saying “RoN” the same way people talk about Daikatana. The only problem is that RoN is actually a pretty fucking fly game. :evil:

And as for the post-mortem…well, it finally spurred me to check out IncrediBuild, which I’ve been recommended a couple of times before, and that is pretty fucking fly too…so at least I got something out of reading it. :D

Mmm… IncrediBuild.[/nerdyHomer]

I still would like to know the real reason why there was no USA side to play. Did they address that?

olaf

Because the game chronology begins around the dawn of civilization.

Because the game chronology begins around the dawn of civilization.[/quote]

But… but… Abe Lincoln was there. Sid Meier said so!

:lol:

They’ve addressed this a number of times in answer to this specific question.

I thought the post-mortem was pretty good, but with such experienced people on board, I wonder how they fell into the “we’re running out of time and working too hard” trap.

Troy

Like I said. I didn’t read the article. So if “Post-Mortem” in this case doesn’t mean “talk about the game after it’s been out for a while and analyze how it did etc” then I apologize for using my common sense and the obvious definition of the term “post-mortem.”

Maybe “post-mortem” means “kiss Reynolds’ ass because he shows up here from time to time to assure us that the game is awesome and any problems we may be having are quite shocking.”

Hey! Maybe “post-mortem” means pick a bunch of flowers and drive them to Microsoft’s corporate headquarters on a lawn mower.

I mean, if I’ve clearly missed the boat here just set me straight ok?

:roll:

Sorry to be such an asshole Kool, and no offense Brian, I’m sure you’re awesome and all, I’m just trying to get some recognition for the fact that while this launch wasn’t Daggerfall or anything it also wasn’t a perfect launch.

I thought that a thread called “RoN Post-Mortem” might actually be a valid place to discuss problems the game had on launch.

If you don’t feel like registering at Gamasutra, just disable Javascript in your browser’s settings. With no javascript turned on, you can read any article on Gamasutra you please without ever seeing a member log in screen.

In the Gamasutra/Game Developer Magazine sense of the word, “postmortem” means an analysis of the process of making the game, after the game is complete. While they occasionally have touched on release and post-release issues, most of them do not.

Oh…I see.

The problem is that in corporate America, a postmortem is where the managers rip everybody a new asshole after the project is done.

I was getting my paradigms confused.

I’m just trying to get some recognition for the fact that while this launch wasn’t Daggerfall or anything it also wasn’t a perfect launch.

This is the part of the thread where someone – and that would be me in this instance – says, ‘Well, duh, show me any game that’s ever had a perfect launch’.

Besides, I’m not sure who was running around calling it a ‘perfect launch’. Just because most people discussing the game didn’t have any problems doesn’t mean they’re calling it a ‘perfect launch’.

-Tom

Obviously no game has ever had the perfect launch, Tom “Straw Man” Chick. I didn’t say that people were claiming that RoN had a perfect launch. I just claimed people were treating it as if it was perfect.

While I’m sitting there saying “Hey! My game keeps crashing” along with several other people, several other people were acting as if everything about RoN was perfect.

I think you guys were acting with irrational exuberance.

Although perhaps I tend to act with irrational pessimism.

While I’m sitting there saying “Hey! My game keeps crashing” along with several other people, several other people were acting as if everything about RoN was perfect.

Sorry, Mr. Chop, but until you show me where this was happening, I’m going to call BS. “Irrational exuberance”? Translation: “because it was crashing on my system, the rest of you guys shouldn’t like it so much”.

Have some perspective, man!

-Tom

Working on 5 out of 6 pcs isn’t bad. :lol:

Well. I have an apology to offer. While researching past RoN threads to find where Tom was being a ding-dong, I found a personal post from Brian Reynolds directly to me where he acknowledges the crash bug and invites me to send in any info I can provide.

I’m sorry Brian. You seem like a great guy and I’m embarrased that I doubted you. (Also…can I have a job?)

As for Tom, here’s where you were being ridiculous:

Not only did you poo-poo me but you also blamed my awesome box for having “some odd incompatibility issue.”

My machine is never incompatible! YOU HEAR ME CHICK! NEVER!!!

And here I thought you were a guy this whole time. Oh well.

Double post

CRAP. If everyone would make note that my valid post count is x - 1 where x represents my total post count, I sure would appreciate it.