Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Apes. Will. Rise!

That was really entertaining, thanks for passing that along! Kevin Smith is a funny dude. WTF was the deal with the end of that clip though? They seem to have kicked him off the stage? Sheesh. He seemed pretty surprised.

I hope they rethink that title. Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Has any double “of the” movies ever been good?

Almost as bad as Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

This thread interested me in the original movies and I went to wikipedia and read the plot synposis for all of them (I’ve only seen the first one).

Jeez. What a bleak and depressing series of movies. It seems like almost all of them end with a terrible revelation or most of the main characters being killed. When I saw the Wahlberg remake I thought the ending was stupid and dark, but that seems to fit in with spirit of these movies.

The original movies are awesome, but yeah they’re not super cheerful or uplifting.

Me too, actually. All we know at the end of the first film is that it’s a ruined Earth, not the details. What I remembered was the mutant survivors at the end of the second film (“Beneath the Planet of the Apes”), which made clear there’d been a nuclear war. Film #2 is about as dark as it gets; as the saying goes, everybody dies.

Reading the synopses of films 4 and 5 (which I haven’t seen) on Wikipedia, they mention the apes-as-pets thing, but it sounds like the Apes don’t really come to power until after the nuclear war.

I always interpreted the nuclear war of the original films to have been fought between man and man. It occurs between movies 4 (Conquest) and 5 (Battle). Caesar’s revolt in Conquest takes place just a few years prior to the holocaust; presumably he’s amassed enough power by that point to take advantage of the post-war chaos and declare himself leader. Apes and humans are still friendly in Battle, but the final shot implies that friendship isn’t permanent, leading to the Ape-centric civilization we see in the original Planet.

Man, I love those movies.

Yeah, that’s how I’ve been interpreting it as well. Which brings me back to how awful the trailer for new film is; it asks “aren’t intelligent apes scary?” and the answer is “not really, and rather less so than a human group with an axe to grind, like Al Qaeda.”

The trailer looked pretty damn bad and didn’t feel like planet of the apes at all.

In the original movies apes were everywhere so i could kind of believe in an uprising pushing humanity back, but this is basically a couple hundred apes max from the clips in the trailer. I could see them taking over a city and destroying the local police force, but once the army rolls in with vastly superior numbers and high end weapons…

I enjoyed the remake personally, even if the original was better, but i don’t think i will be watching this at all.

Well, apes were definitely not everywhere in Escape from Planet of the Apes…

— Alan

Looked OK except for the stupid CGI of monkeys hopping across cars, across rooftops, and into a helicopter.

How much longer before Hollywood cuts out the traffic jam scenes? They looked riduclous 10 years ago and now they they’re so cliche’d it kind of ruins any immersion you had going.

Every Apes movie, even the Tim Burton piece of shit, has an iconic, stunning, unpredictable ending (Even 'Battle for"'s climax of Caesar’s statue crying tears.) CG apes suck unless they’re killing T-rexes.

I was eager to see the Apes trailer and it instantly looked all wrong. The tone was off. It’s made a movie about a takeover by apes as an allegory to making CG movies, replacing people, stories, action scenes with tactile elements. THIS is their apparent reboot of “Conquest of the Planet of the Apes,” a bitch-ass racewar allegory leavened by scenes of torture, murder, lobotomy, slave auctions, beating governors to death while malls burn. Rated PG for Apes!

Pobody’s Nerfect on the Planet of the Apes.

The original was rated G.

Seconded.

Yup! Those were the days.

I hate and don’t get this title, it hurts my eyes to read and ears to hear. A planet can’t rise. Just call it “Rise of the Apes.” Or re-use “Conquest.”

I was embarrassingly psyched for this movie till I watched the trailer. CG apes. Whee.

“Battle for the Conquest of the Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Beneath” has a nice ring to it, and it also makes for an easy-to-remember acronym.

I don’t recall nukes being in the original novel. It was more about humans being overthrown by their increasingly intelligent ape slaves/servants.

The movies introduced the idea of a nuclear war in there somewhere (to play on audiences fears in the late 60s/early 70s) as well as the idea of humans using apes initially as pets after dogs and cats died off.

As for this new film, it looks like they are going somewhere else entirely with this. I wonder why nobody every wants to do a more accurate version of the original novel?

I forgot to post this at the time, but the first I heard of this movie was in a trailer before X-men. When I saw it, I literally thought it was some kind of bizarre parody:
Origin story nobody asked for?
Heavy handed moralizing about animal experimentation?
Weird looking CG monkeys?
James Franco?

Also…the trailer showed like hundreds of apes attacking an urban center, which makes me wonder…where did they all come from? I’m pretty sure a single shot had more apes than in all the zoos in the world, let alone those available to a single city. At least if it was about Gorilla Grodd, he would’ve turned people into monkeys, which would have explained their numbers.

By the freeway in San Antonio there’s a research facility with giant cages filled with apes(?). A friend’s dad worked there in procurement and we’d get a kick out of every new person asking him if his dad worked with the monkeys. I think it’s still there so I’m guessing giant research facility/what has science done.