Rise of the Tomb Raider

Crystal Dynamics’ follow up to the Tomb Raider reboot. Limited info so far, but here’s a CG trailer, exploring Lara’s PTSD.

Release is a ways off, holidays 2015.

Successor to TR - Guardian of Light with 4 player co-op.

So, not the sequel to the recent reboot.

Edit - I’m wrong, 2 TR games announced.

Wait, what?

[source]

Pretty sure they won’t be going all grimdark with a Guardian of Light sequel. The scenario in the trailer also follows directly from Tomb Raider 2013.

It’s June already! Why isn’t this ou…

Ohhhhhhh…rise of TOMB RAIDER.

My bad.

GameTrailers talked about it and showed some stuff, including gameplay, after MS finished their event. Unless there are two TR games coming…

Edit - Yep, two TR games announced, repeat, two TR games!

WOAH WOAH! Sequel to Guardian of Light?!?

Rise of the Tomb Raider is the big-budget continuation of the Lara Croft reboot saga. Lots of action, killing, and QTEs.

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is the sequel to Temple of Light.

Cool, great news, uh, well, except for the QTE’s. I loved the last one, one of my favorite games!

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is the sequel to Temple of Light.

So how will this differ? Other than a different story line? I’m not sure I understand.

All we know is that Temple of Osiris will feature 4-player co-op.

Are you asking how it differs from Guardian of Light, or the recent Tomb Raider reboot?

For those who aren’t familiar with the two most recent titles, Guardian of Light used an overhead game perspective (a.k.a. “isometric”) and a different play style than other Tomb Raiders (e.g. fighting against huge number of enemies, Diablo-style.) It was more a light arcade action game (but very well done) and was digital distribution only.

The Tomb Raider reboot was a full-price, retail, over-the-shoulder game with more emphasis on story, stealth, cover shooter mechanics, elaborate set pieces, and other such AAA things (including QTEs, alas.)

So two different styles of game. And both are getting sequels, yay!

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris:

REDWOOD CITY– MAY 20, 2014 – Crystal Dynamics, a Square Enix studio, today announced its latest title in the Lara Croft series, Lara Croft® and the Temple of Osiris™. The game will launch on the Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, and Windows® PC.

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is the sequel to the critically-acclaimed Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, and the first-ever four-player co-op experience with Lara Croft. Featuring stunning visuals and a brand-new story, players must work together to explore the temple, defeat hordes of enemies from the Egyptian underworld, solve devious puzzles, and avoid deadly traps. All the while, players will compete for treasure, powerful artifacts, and ultimate bragging rights.

“After the immensely positive reception we received for our debut co-op adventure Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, we always hoped that we would find the time for Lara to return in another classic AAA digital arcade title,” said Darrell Gallagher, Head of Product Development and Western Studios. “We are excited to expand upon Guardian of Light’s legacy with an entirely new adventure, and challenged ourselves to create fun new ways to play. Four-player co-op in Lara’s world combined with Crystal Dynamics’ high production values are being brought to a new generation of platforms and we are excited for more friends to share in the adventure together.”

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris takes place deep in the deserts of Egypt. In her new adventure, Lara must join forces with rival treasure hunter Carter Bell and imprisoned gods Horus and Isis, to defeat the evil god Set. As Lara and her companions fight the elements of nature across the sands and through ancient tombs, they will battle legendary deities and creatures of myth. With the fate of the world at stake, Lara must recover the fragments of Osiris to stop Set from enslaving all mankind.

stunning visuals

Yup…

If I just saw that screenshot without knowing the game beforehand I would say it must be some isometric Diablo action type game…not Tomb Raider.

The previous one played sort of like that except a lot more puzzle-heavy.

2015 is gonna be an expensive year!

Awesome, loved both of the recent Tomb Raider games. I wasn’t sure if the ARPG sold enough copies to warrant a sequel but it looks like it did.

The next Tomb Raider is an Xbox exclusive, Crystal Dynamics [does not explain] why:
(polygon link)

Dear Tomb Raider Community,

As you may have seen, we've just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox. We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal. I'd like to give you some insight into this decision, and why we feel this is the very best thing for the Tomb Raider sequel we're creating at the studio.
Tomb Raider in 2013 was a success due in large part to your continued support. Our goal has always been to deliver something truly special with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Today's announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming. Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.
This doesn't mean that we're walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.
We know that there are probably many more questions and concerns. Please do send them to us, and we'll answer to the best of our ability. Meanwhile we're going all out to try and make something truly special - the most ambitious Tomb Raider game ever built.
Thanks,
Darrell Gallagher
Crystal Dynamics Head of Studios

Fuck them.

I was planning on buying the Definitive Edition of the last game for PS4 because of how much I loved the game on the last gen, and of course getting Temple of Osiris. And maybe I still will, but right now I’m angry and want to make angry claims about boycotting them or something. Argh.

That money hat must have been extraordinarily large and jaunty.

Holy shit, what kind of deal does it take to make them walk away from a console with a >2:1 sales advantage!

There’s some speculation it’s still only a timed exclusive, but if that’s the case, what I’ve read so far is definitely the weaseliest PR speak to hide that fact ever.