Rise of the Tomb Raider

Anyone else having the issue where the map doesn’t appear right away? I have to move the blank map all around and eventually it will pop in. Very frustrating when collectible hunting.

Speaking of collectibles, it’s highly frustrating that some areas become inaccessible after you complete a level. Levels with action set-pieces become blocked off at the end, preventing you from ever seeing the final area of the map ever again. Sometimes you’re blocked from re-entering the map at the beginning as well. You can only go to camps, which may mean you can’t backtrack to the beginning.

I’ve had the map issue as well. It is really the only complaint I have with this title though. It’s been a joy to play so far. I really had fun with the new Tombs, the main story line, etc. I played mostly with the steam controller, and aiming via Gyro really fealt good. Like for me it was almost K&M levels of good. I haven’t played with Expedition mode, or even thought about the endurance dlc thing. Has anyone played with those features yet? Are they worth putting some time into?

I’ve had the map issue too. So far I haven’t not been able to go where I wanted, but maybe I’ve just been fortunate so far.

You can go back to any previous point, but you just need to use fast travel.

Fast travel is really weird in this game since it can get you back to previous points that would otherwise be impossible to traverse manually.

I’ve never had the map issue on the Xbox version.

And yeah, in the Old Soviet Facility there were some documents and caches that I discovered the location for that I just couldn’t get to, and I finally fast traveled to a camp near there, and got to it. And I discovered there was no way back to that spot except how I just did it: by fast travel.

I don’t really have time for this though I’m sure I’d get it eventually, but Endurance mode seems very tempting…

Playing on the mode where your health doesn’t regenerate and the blood that appears on screen when you get hurt is so annoying. I stayed under water a second too long and now the screen has blood all over it. Thankfully they put in an option to turn it off. Also had to turn off the motion blur, think this is the only game where its bothered me. Loving everything else though!

I love the attention to detail in this game, Lara’s hands are cold!

Not playing on the hardest mode, overall so far its been great, I just made it to the old Siberian base.

The Baba Yaga DLC is pretty fantastic. Parts of it are like a horror movie based on Russian mythology. Plus, it’s more Rise of the Tomb Raider.

You left out the best bit! The very cool outfit =)

We picked this up on Saturday, and hit %51 completion by Sunday night, so I guess you could say things are getting kinda serious. My only real complaint so far is the verbal ‘hints’ given by Lara inside each of the optional tombs. I don’t understand why a game would build optional puzzles just to walk you through it time and again. Our tactic is to turn off the ‘dialog’ slider in audio settings each time we enter one of the tombs. Although it got kind of confusing one time when we walked out and had actual dialog come up. C’est la vie. Game is fantastic.

A bit further along, I just got the lock pick. Also at the soviet base my FPS started to really drop. Had to lower my textures on the gtx970 from very high down to high. FPS are in the high 50’s to 60 now.

Does it only open up after you have beaten the game, or does it open up once you’ve reached a certain location and you can play it anytime after that?

And how long is it? I’ve read elsewhere that it is pretty short, only an hour or two, which makes it seem expensive at $9.99 for that little additional gameplay.

Haha most accurate review so far!
That Ultimatum Skeleton is a life saver

On console, If you move the cursor “outside” of the map, it goes blank (no icons or details). The details pop in when you move the cursor into an area. Not sure if this is what you are experiencing.

The DLC opens up in the middle of the Soviet base. You can do a few of the missions in the main game world, and a few in the new areas. It’s pretty short, but the new area is pretty awesome. For me, one of the most difficult puzzles is in the dlc.

Nope. Open the map, it’s centered on Lara, but it’s all black. I have to move the map around, staying inside the zone Lara is in and eventually the map will pop in. Can take over 5-10 seconds, sometimes.

It’s intermittent and usually only occurs after I’ve revealed the whole map and I’m hunting collectibles.

Add me to the map problem list. The icons only show up after jiggling the handle, I mean mouse. I consider it a mini game: press the mouse button and quickly shake from side to side.

On Sunday I quit during a challenge tomb where I just couldn’t figure out how to get to the end of the tomb.

Last night I fired it up again, and it all just clicked, and I figured it out. That was so satisfying.

I wasn’t able to finish all the challenges in the area before moving on though. I still couldn’t find all the targets, or figure out how to dive into the water from platforms. There’s only so many buttons on the controller, so it should be easy to figure out, but I missed the diving tutorial, and I just can’t find the right button combination to make Lara dive.

I think you jump and then immediately press LT. Anyone confirm?