Rise of the Tomb Raider

He sells the tier 4 tool, you can’t find that one, it’s the only one you can’t - you have to buy it from him. Took me most of the game to save up for it.

I picked up Baba Yaga very early into my game, it opens up shortly after you get full access to the first major map, so pretty darn early in other words. I think it’s maybe 2 hours or so of content, though some of that is back tracking to existing areas for reasons, so it’s not all new content.

I liked it, but I don’t think it was worth $10 by far. I think my gameplay experience would have been just as good (and I’d still have $10) if I’d never picked it up. But if you have money to burn and time to kill, by all means, it’s worth experiencing. I found the end … er, let’s call it “encounter” to be the most frustrating (difficulty wise) area in the game, but I did it as soon as it opened up, I bet it would be miles easier a bit later with more tools, upgrades, skills, and options at my disposal.

The Bath House optional tomb is the first one to really stump me. I’ve partially solved it but can’t figure out the last piece. Wonder if I’m overlooking something and making it harder than it is.

Edit: Got it

Just made it to the geothermal area, but the best moment in the game was when:

I played A LOT of Rise of the Tomb Raider over the past week. Steam says 47 hours, but I know I had it idling at least once for 6 hours. In any case, I finished the story at 76% complete. I had trouble finding the challenge items and I think I only finished one of those. I did a bunch of the optional tombs, I need to go back and complete the rest. I’m not sure if I’ll bother getting 100%, I usually don’t in these types of games but I am tempted for this one.

The game stayed strong for me until the last 2-4 hours. The ending was just…too much I think. I was ready to be finished. This will be one of my top games of the year I think.

At first I liked Lara’s accent, but after some time it began to grate on me. It seemed forced and artificial. Of course what do I know as I live in the US.

It’s funny how much I liked it as there are a lot of mundane type of activities. The platforming was generally pretty easy and it was frequently obvious where you needed to go and what you needed to do. So for a lot of it there wasn’t really a sense of accomplishment. Some of the tombs could require some thinking. I think a lot of the game just felt so good and was so beautiful to take in.

I may pick up some of the DLC at some point. Endurance mode may be interesting. Is it a new map and if so is it pretty big?

When she pronounced glacier as “glassy-air”, I was fucking done. Every artifact she found afterward I was all, “yeah, whatever,” and closed it. I didn’t want to hear her anymore.

Yep. That sounds right for the British pronunciation.

Uh, same actress as last time, Camilla Luddington, and she’s English so I’m not sure what the complaint is.

Uh, the complaint is that I didn’t like the sound of it. Maybe it’s authentic sounding or maybe she exaggerated it - I don’t know.

The bigger question is, where is Lara getting all these glow sticks from? Explain it!

Did you complain about the last game also?

I don’t think so. It could be I just paid more attention to it this time, or maybe there are more spoken parts.

Racist! ;-) glad to hear the game is being enjoyed. It was my game of 2015 and I’d be sad if the series ended here.

I just listened to an interview with the actress and she doesn’t speak like she did in the game. I think as Lara she was exaggerating how she enunciated words. I usually like how English (England) accents sound. I’ll look forward to the next game too.

Only time the VA bothered me was when you’d find a little piece of treasure. It was a bit overwrought. “A vase!!!”

I think she is using a more aristocratic accent, seeing as Lara supposedly comes from money.

Loving the game thus far (just reached the valley), but whoever designed that one sequence to get to that one collectable (a letter, I think) in Baba Yaga needs to be banned from having anything to do with games ever again. Seriously. I hate that asshole.

Finished the story last night, and just trying to clean up the collectables. Just really an awesome game, and an improvement (I think) from the first one. Can’t wait to see where they go w/ the next installment.

Only real complaint is on a few occasions, I think they tried to get a little too cute w/ the placement of some of the collectables. I get that some will be placed in areas you just can’t get to until the storyline is over. I accept that. Others are all but impossible to get, and to be honest, there were a few I could simply not figure out. Also - although I’ve run into only the one referenced in my last post, maybe a few less that require perfect timing of a rather long set of events which are hard in and of themselves.

Still - pretty minor quibbles. I’m sure I’ll be playing this one again.

Great game but Lara is very politically incorrect and regressive:

1. She kills only men (her opponents are all men, no females)
  2. She hunts wild animals so she can kill more men
  3. She loots rare artifacts, even destroys ancient tombs when necessary

She really is a throwback :)

REVEL IN THE CARNAGE WITH WORLD FAMOUS MASS MURDERER LARA CROFT AS SHE INVADES SOVEREIGN NATIONS TO PLUNDER THEIR RICHES SLAUGHTER THEIR WILDLIFE AND SEND 2000 YEAR OLD TEMPLES CRUMBLING INTO THE FUCKING GROUND. THIS IS ONE OF THOSE FEMINIST VIDEOGAMES WHERE A HOT CHICK KICKS A LOT OF ASS AND LOOKS DAMN GOOD DOING IT. JUST LIKE SUSAN B ANTHONY AND MARGARET SANGER AND RUSS MEYER INTENDED.
(http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/zodiac-motherfuckers-top-10-games-of-2015/1100-5365/)

We finished the game, and got to 88%, but cooled our jets when we realized the map for collectibles doesn’t unlock after completion like(I believe) it did in the first game. The prospect of looking up locations of maps online just to unlock the map seems too much like a chore for now. I’m am very much looking forward to the DLC, but am trying to be good and wait on a good price for the season pass.