Rise of the Tomb Raider

Sweet. I’ll probably have an Xbox by then anyway, but I was still going to wait for the PS4 version.

Hmm. The PS4 version gets new goodies along with all previously released DLC.

[quote]
“Blood Ties” is new premium DLC, and will allow players to explore Croft Manor in the main story mode, then defend it against a zombie invasion in “Lara’s Nightmare”. When Lara’s uncle contests ownership of the Manor, Lara must explore the estate to find proof that she is the rightful heir, or lose her birthright and father’s secrets for good. Players can then test their zombie-killing skills in the replayable “Lara’s Nightmare” mode: a haunted Croft Manor where players have new challenges and must rid the Manor of an evil presence.

In addition, for the first time in a Tomb Raider game, a new online co-op expansion to “Endurance Mode” lets fans raid tombs in a brutal wilderness together. Two players must team up to survive the harsh elements by day, as well as lethal threats from enemies by night. Fire takes fuel, food restores health, and every resource must be hunted, collected, or crafted. Battle to the top of the leaderboards, as others try to beat your longest survival run.[/quote]

Blood ties sounds great. I’ll take any excuse to play this game again.

BTW is this the tomb raider game with the survival mode (or equivalent?) I was looking for an interesting “survival mode” after FO4 (which will end soon).

There’s a survival difficulty level, but it just makes enemies a little tougher. Not like you have to eat or sleep or iron your clothes and stuff.

It’s not just a difficulty level! There’s a whole Endurance mode that adds survival gameplay to Tomb Raider.

-Tom

Well that’s true, I got hung up on the word “survivor”. Endurance mode is probably more in line with what you’re looking for, though I only really dabbled in it.

Will this be coming to PC? I’ve read a few sites now and it just keeps mentioning PS4.

You’ll be able to buy it on PC.

[quote]
Rise of the Tomb Raider “Blood Ties” Upgrade (Xbox One or PC)
Available for Digital Download free for current Season Pass holders
Available for Digital Download for $9.99 for non-Season Pass holders
“Blood Ties” & “Lara’s Nightmare” premium DLC
Brutal new “Extreme Survivor” difficulty mode (no checkpoints)
Re-envisioned cold-weather outfit and weapon for Lara inspired by Tomb Raider III
Classic Card Pack: Play any Expedition mode as one of five favorite classic Lara models[/quote]

So, to reiterate, if you have the Season Pass on Xbox One or PC, you’ll get the Blood Ties DLC and Lara’s Nightmare stuff.

The Season Pass is currently $18 on Greenmangaming, which may be a good deal even if you already have Baba Yaga by itself.

Aw man, what if I want the season pass on discount for Xbone? No don’t answer that, yes I knew it was a snake when I picked it up.

Awesome to hear, Thanks @Telefrog

The PC season pass I got cheap a few months back has paid off! :D

Iron your clothes! Now THAT would be a real survival mode!

You take 1 wrinkle damage.

Eurogamer’s Digital Foundry took the new VR stuff for a spin.

[quote]
We also enjoyed a demonstration of the Croft Manor content that is included with this version of the game. Playing out like a large tomb in and of itself, this portion of the game sees players solving puzzles and discovering secrets around the stately home. Played conventionally, this mode presents exactly like the rest of the game, using third person camera at 1080p30. The twist here is that it’s possible to play through this content entirely in virtual reality thanks to PlayStation VR support.

We’ve spent time with PSVR before, but most experiences have been seated. With Rise of the Tomb Raider, we were asked to stand up and walk about. When playing in VR, the game switches to a first person perspective. Two movement options are available - dual analog movement, similar to the main game, and teleportation. In our demo, the developers opted to stick with the teleportation mode as they admitted that free control was more likely to result in motion sickness - something we can definitely attest to, based on experiences playing other titles that utilise this technique.

The teleportation mode actually makes use of the motion sensing capabilities. By pulling the L2 trigger, a teleportation arc is displayed and fully adjustable by moving the Dual Shock 4 around - it tracks just like a PS Move. Simply tap R2 from there, and you’re whisked away to the next point from which you can begin to explore by physically walking around. Interestingly, as you approach the limits of the headset tracking, the game displays a border similar to the Vive’s chaperone system. It works quite well.

Beyond that, VR mode naturally demands a higher frame-rate and in this case, we’re looking at 60 frames per second with asynchronous time-warp enhancing fluidity. It looked and felt natural and definitely made for an immersive experience. While it may seem disappointing that VR support is available only in Croft Manor, it’s clear that the complexity of the main game would make PSVR support almost impossible due to the frame-rate requirements. Even if it were supported, it would likely result in severe motion sickness for most players without a substantial revamp of the core gameplay.[/quote]

20 Year Celebration stuff is out later today. 1.7 gig download and patch notes up on Steam.

The 20 Year Celebration Pack will be automatically given to all Season Pass holders, as well as made available for individual purchase at 9:00am PDT.

Ooh, thanks for the reminder. This is the new zombie DLC. w00t! Oh, look, there’s more…

Endurance Mode Co-Op

Huh? How is that supposed to work? I guess one of the players has to be one of the dopey sidekicks.

-Tom

Dual Laras I think, like the pistols.

We have a name for the sequel.

“Shadow of the Tomb Raider” - spotted by someone on a Montreal subway.

Yes, it’s a terrible over-the-shoulder potato cam shot of someone working on a presentation.

Kotaku says it’s likely real, based on the fact that they’ve been told Eidos Montreal is handling the next game.

Shadow = long awaited Angel of Darkness remake.