• 4K and Ultrawide Resolution support + Unlimited frame rates

• All original ROTT episodes and expansion packs

• Restored game content from “lost” betas

• Ability to play with 1995 or 2013 Soundtracks + Jukebox

• Online & LAN Comm-Bat Multiplayer featuring multiple game modes

• A brand new easy-to-use Level Editor

• A NEW episode created by New Blood, Night Dive and Apogee Software Veterans

• Level editor with steam workshop support

Rise of the Triad: Ludicrous Edition will also include a new level editor, plus some cut content that’s been sitting around on dusty old hard drives for decades, including old sprites made back when Rise of the Triad was still being built as a Wolfenstein 3D sequel.

The Ludicrous Edition will also include the ‘Extreme’ level pack and two episodes that did not appear in the original game: one is a rebuild of GZ Doom fan project called Return of the Triad that was built by the team that went on to make Amid Evil for New Blood, and the other is an all-new collection of levels created by teams and developers from Apogee, New Blood, and Nightdive.

Yes. Fuck yes. All the yesses.

Didn’t I buy an updated 3D version of this game about 10 years ago?

omg, we played so much of this on LAN, and at work on LAN ;)

TOASTY!

This is out today!

4K and Ultrawide Resolution support + Unlimited frame rates
All original ROTT episodes, expansion packs plus Return of the Triad
Restored characters and game content from “lost” betas
FULL controller support, KB/M rebinding, and a cynical FOV slider
Ability to play with 1994 or 2013 Soundtracks + Jukebox
New HUDs, Alternate weapon SFX and LUDICROUS LIGHTING
Online & LAN Comm-Bat Multiplayer featuring multiple game modes
A brand new easy-to-use Level Editor and brand new cutscenes
A NEW episode created by New Blood, Night Dive and Apogee Software
LUDICROUS GIBS

Does anybody know if this version includes the old shareware levels, which were not part of the full game?
Edit: Yes, it does!

Civvie is very, very pleased with it. And that’s good enough for me. Bought!

How is it? I played this a lot back when it was new, but I simply cannot imagine playing it again. It is such a relic of a bygone time…

“I love Rott and I don’t even think it deserved to be treated this well.” LOL

Well, I bought this new version, installed it, fired it up, and…

It plays really nice, meaning modern controls and fantastic response. It doesn’t look as nice as some of the other modernized classic shooters, but I knew that going in from Civvie’s video, and that’s part of the charm I think.

But yeah, I’m not seeing myself ever finishing the game. I never finished the original back in the day, but I tried. I didn’t have a strategy guide or the internet back then, so I got stuck on some kind of insane puzzle about halfway through, and then when I finally did get the internet shortly after that, I had already moved on to other things.

But wow do I ever have a soft spot in my heart for ROTT. It came out about 18 months after I had bought my first computer, and I really loved pretty much every single game I bought back then. Games were expensive, and I bought them anyway, and when I sat down to play them, I gave each one of them as much time as I could.

ROTT was definitely a part of my Golden Age of PC gaming, and playing this new version brought it all back. All the fond memories, and while it’s too soon in the game for me to re-experience the frustration, I’m sure it’s still there, waiting for me.

Thanks for the info! I think we’re pretty much on the same page. Geez, I definitely remember the pre-Internet days of “how the hell do I do this?”

So while we’re reminiscing, I’ll add a small bit to the bunch.

I can’t remember the exact board in bbs days, but I hung out on some gaming board and was fairly active, and was PM’d a request from Bernie Yee to help him do the strategy guide for ROTT. Of course, as a young, 29 year old gamer, I was ecstatic to help out.

So I got the developer build + all the internal maps that showed all the hiding locations for every map. It was fortuitous that I just happened to be starting a 2 week business trip to England at the time and I remember just devouring this game on the plane.

So my job was to basically give the directions on how to get each level done and how to access all the hidden locations. Bernie and I came up with some short hand for all the different traps (spin blades, jump pads, etc) and as I completed each 2-3 levels, I would send him my writeups.

Agreement to get paid was pretty stupid looking back. He gave me all this computer peripherals - speakers, mice, keyboards, etc. Again, it was pretty cool to not only get the preview build, but all this cool loot so I was pretty stoked. He gave me a few words in the author’s forward for the book.

It was definitely a different way to play the game, with the knowledge of the maps, but it was thrilling to say the least.

More games need Drunk Missiles.