Risen 2: Dark Waters

Website http://www.risen2.com/

Holy moly!

You are the true bearer of good news, Naeblis!

Day one buy!

BTW:

The first artworks of Risen 2 (Deep Silver calls them “target artworks”) have been published on videogameszone.de.

Not real screenshots.

Firearms?

Who cares if they are screens or artworks. It does not look much greater than, say, Witcher 2 in game screens, so I assume they can pull of similar look in final game.
Plus Risen 1 and Gothic series are so good.

They do seem to be fixating on ships a bit. I wonder if they’ll play a part, like perhaps Risen 2 will be set on an archipelago you can sail round, or something?

To be honest, I wouldn’t mind it one bit if the graphic engine stayed the same and only a touch more optimized.

Bringing the goods
(i think this is from a german magazine, translated by someone)

story

• you are again the same nameless heroes of Risen
  • he is now living in a small harbour village called “Caldera”
  • you are now wearing the Ocular of the inquisitor (story relation not known yet)
  • the game is now spread about multiple islands
  • there is still the inquisition located on one of the islands
  • … (more later)
  • the story is more complex and will have different consequences depending on your choices
  • you will meet familiar faces like Carlos, Gregorius Steelbeard,…

Setting

• pirate setting
  • its no longer on Faranga from Risen
  • you can travel to different islands by ship (if you can have an own ship is not known yet)
  • in the sea lives different sea monsters who attack ships
  • it will also have an fast travel system on the islands
  • the islands will have different climate zones with different settings and monsters
  • guns,canons and othe fire weapons in the game
  • there is still magic
  • skill system same as Risen
  • should feel more realistic than Risen (for example chests who are empty or have rubble in it, but to every chest is a story)
  • the world is bigger as in Risen
  • side quests should be more complex than in Risen

Graphic / Technic

• animation is now motion captured
  • NPCs and monsters more detailed
  • bump mapping, realisitc relatime clouds instead of a skybox
  • more realisitc faces
  • no loading times on the islands and invisible walls only short loading by changing the island
  • NPCs talking with each other (for example you can hear a conversation between too NPCs when the treasurer leave his treasure)
  • every NPC has a daily routine like in Risen
  • in the night different monsters than on the day like in Risen

Monsters

• there will be Gnomes again
  • minecrawler
  • some familiar and some completly new monsters
  • also normal animals like apes,boars,… depending on the climate zone
  • Risen 2 is about 80% done they doing voice recording right now

Yep I’m there day one.

The first Risen was great. The game introduced me to the Gothic serie, and this is a plus.

But was in part a broken game (not broken enough to get in the game), and I don’t know how to plan to fill more than one isle with the awesomenes of the first? maybe the isles now will be much smaller, and the isle modular design will let then force some paths by design to avoid story breacking (like people jumping out of the monastery).

Really good news :D

“- there will be Gnomes again”

hahaha good one, my favourite creatures.

Yay. Intersting that Risen, Arcania and Two Worlds II all emphasised island settings.

I hope any firearms are slow to use and not for example like that crossbow in the DA2 demo :)

Island environments are easier to design as an open world game because you have natural borders. I wonder how they’ll handle people sailing off into the sunset?

Risen 1 handled this with a really big tentacle I think.

What’s the release date for this? I think I remember end of the year.

Yeah even in G2 if you tried to swim too far, sea monster ate you (and maybe spit you on the beach, but I am not sure about that).

I know what I’m replaying next.

Great! PB is my favorite dev. Even though they still haven’t done a decent ending. Don’t ask me how I would want an ending, but I’ll know it when I see it. I didn’t see a release date anywhere. Did I miss it or is it “when it’s done.”

Risen 1 had a fairly lacklustre console version I believe - it’ll be interesting to see if they’ve tightened that up this time round, which would surely be a good move for them financially. I remember CD Projekt failed to get their Witcher console version up and running so I guess this isn’t a trivial task.

I feel if PB could just expand to add one really talented quest designer they’d have what they need and we’d be spared some of the weaker elements of their series. I’ll also be interested to see if they rework Risen’s streamlining of the magic system now they have one iteration under their belts. I felt the compression of the summoning and transformation schools was a shame but still ok, whereas the various kind of offensive spell just seemed boring (from what I remember now).

I still miss the Orcs from Gothic. other than that it’s all good news.

I’m in! And I hope it’s modeled after chapters 1 and 2 of Risen, not chapters 3 and 4.