Road to Perdition: a small dissapointment

We saw Road to Perdition last night, and I’ve got to say I was a little let down by the movie. I knew that it was supposed to be more of a character study than a “mob” movie, but for some reason that I can’t put my finger on, it felt a little shallow to me. The relationships never seemed fully fleshed out, I never really got a good feeling for Tom Hank’s character (just traces here and there), Paul Newman’s character was supposed to be tragic, I assume, but also felt pretty shallow, etc. Even the kid didn’t seem to have undergone the change over the course of the movie that I assumed he was suppose to have gone through: he didn’t appear all that different at the end than he did at the beginning.

Was I just missing something? I expected this to be a strong, powerful movie centered on character and relationships, and it just felt thin.

I wouldn’t call it thin so much as cold. There was nothing there for the viewer to grasp. Unless you find lots of rain a good replacement for three-dimensional characters who display authentic human emotion.

Road to Perdition is an enjoyable movie if you like movies that ride entirely on style. Basically if you liked Unbreakable you will like Road to Perdition, although the reverse is not always true.

Watch it Brett. You just called Paul Newman and Tom Hank’s performances 2 dimensional.

> Basically if you liked Unbreakable you will like Road to Perdition, although the reverse is not always true

Or the forward-running conclusion, Plato, since I loved Unbreakable and disliked Road to Perdition.