Robert Downey Jr is a superhero

I’ll watch anything that Downey Jr. is in (well… maybe not that Singing Detective movie) so this is good news. I’m glad they cast him over one of the guys that was originally rumored, Tom Cruise.

It’s hard to cut an imposing figure at 5’7".

How in the world do you keep yourself alive using jeep parts?

Uh - by whom?

I remember one episode of MASH where they kept a guy alive with a pen-knife, a Bic pen, and a radio, so don’t be so sure of yourself Mr. Ye-Of-Little-Faith.

I can’t site any specific sources either, but I know he’s often been referred to as one of the greatest actors of his generation. I don’t agree with that, but he’s damn good, no question.

Drive them to the hospital.

Addict? I thought Tony Stark’s problem is a heart condition…?

or am I once again dating myself on old comic facts that have been rewritten?:)

Stark is an alcoholic, I believe.

Downey Jr has an Oscar, right?

I think it’s a good choice. Has anyone seen the script? Is it any good? Who’s being cast as Rhodey? I think that choice might be a hint as to whether the movie is serious (Batman Begins) or not so serious (…).

The road from tracheotomy to invincible power armor is a bit long, isn’t it, Mr. Ye-Of-70’s-Sit-Com-Reference?

No, but a nomination for one.

Or is it?

Stark was captured by the Vietcong after falling into a grenade booby trap. A piece of shrapnel was working itself toward his heart, which meant he only had a short time to live. He used that time to build the Iron Man suit (with the help of a fellow captive), which would keep his heart beating even after the shrapnel reached it.

Years later, he got a heart transplant and a raging case of alcoholism.

PS I think RDJ is an inspired choice

I’ve heard they are not doing the alcoholism arc in the first movie.
RDJ is perfect casting though.

You get bitten by a radioactive spider.

Are you serious? I stopped reading comics regularly in the late '80’s, but Iron Man a mutant??? That’s just wrong. So very, very wrong.

The appeal of the Iron Man was always much like that of Batman–it’s at least conceivable that you could be him. Through enormous wealth, intellect, and training, a genuine human was able to build a suit of powered armor that let him contend on the same playing field as gods, the beneficiaries of radioactive accidents, magicians, and mutants.

To retcon him to a mutant (with a supersuit) must have been a desperation move to make him appeal to the legion of X-fanatics out there, but jettisoning the true origin of their foremost still-human hero strikes me as creative bankruptcy of the worst kind on Marvel’s part.

But isn’t he? The same way Da Vinci was or in comicdom Reed richards pre-cosmic ray?
Brings up the question of is the really smart, really athletic mutants?
I’ll be the first to declare- Michael Jordan is a mutant.

As for the retcon- kinda makes you wonder why he is in the X-Men game…

Going to geek out a bit but I believe Captain America is actually Marvels foremost still human superhero. It is always pointed out that cap is at the pinnacle of human strength, agility, and endurance without actually crossing over into the superhuman… also who else can beat Thanos or the Beyonder because of sheer force of will?

Still I agree Ironman shouldn’t be a mutant.

Yeah, but that’s because he got a booster shot of Super Soldier serum back in '42 instead of polio vaccine like the rest of the Marvel Universe. Cap’s integrity and sense of duty are straight from the heart, but his pecs are straight from a syringe.