Robert Samuelson: Bush's Social Security plan is a Hoax

The full article is here: (warning, requires registration)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45578-2005Feb22.html

Since I cannot recall if there is a gamers/gamers type password to access this, I’ll quote the main chunk of the article:

"Our central budget problem, as I’ve noted in earlier columns, is the coming spending explosion in Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, driven by aging baby boomers and rising health spending. In 2004 these programs cost $965 billion, or 8.4 percent of the economy (gross domestic product). The Congressional Budget Office projects that by 2030 their costs will rise to 14 percent of GDP, or more than $1.6 trillion in today’s dollars. Avoiding a (nearly) $700 billion annual increase in taxes or deficits would require comparable spending cuts in other government programs. It won’t happen. The projected increase in retirement spending nearly equals all federal “discretionary spending” – a category that includes defense, homeland security, environmental programs, national parks, scientific research and much more. We’re not going to eliminate all these programs.

Once you’ve done this math, you recognize that benefit cuts in Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are inevitable. They’re the only other way to limit massive tax increases or immense budget deficits. Moreover, the benefit cuts have to affect baby boomers, because they will be the people on Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. The critical period occurs from 2011 to 2029, when all baby boomers (people born from 1946 to 1964) hit 65. That’s when budgetary pressures intensify. So, does the Bush Social Security plan improve the budget outlook? From all indications, the answer is “no.”

Bush hasn’t yet offered a detailed proposal, but he is expected to build on “Plan 2” of the President’s Commission to Strengthen Social Security, issued in December 2001. Workers could divert as much as $1,000 annually of their payroll taxes into “personal accounts” invested in stocks and bonds. Now, the CBO has evaluated Plan 2. In 2025 Plan 2 would reduce projected Social Security spending from 5.71 percent of gross domestic product to 5.27 percent of GDP, the agency estimates. This is a trivial cut of the combined spending of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. The effects of switching to personal accounts and diminishing “traditional” Social Security benefits are gradual. Indeed, because Bush plans to borrow to pay for personal accounts, his plan would probably raise federal spending in 2025.

Judged by this arithmetic, Bush’s Social Security program is a hoax. He’s claiming to make Social Security sustainable. In 40 to 50 years, Bush’s approach might work. But in the next 25 years – when the real budget problem occurs – it does little. Bush wants it both ways: He wants to appeal to younger voters by offering personal accounts; and he doesn’t want to offend older voters (including baby boomers) by cutting their benefits. This may be smart politics, but it’s lousy policy."

Samuelson does something very weird in this column: he tries to make the column about “journalistic malpractice” (he is essentially making the charge that journalists are in-inumerate and lazy, which may be true but is beside the point), but the main thrust of the piece, as I’ve quoted, is really about why the Bush Social Security proposals are bad policy. I am not really sure why Samuelson tries to shift the focus of the article the way he does.

But he does make some very solid points.

First, no matter whether or not you believe converting social security from a public social insurance system to a private retirement investment system is a good idea, it’s very clear from the numbers that Bush’s proposals will not solve the problem which he is labelling a “crisis”, which is the long term underfunding of Social Security.

Second, focusing just on Social Security right now is asinine and short sighted. Social Security is in the best financial shape of the main federal entitlements; meanwhile Medicare is headed for budget lift-off and explosive re-entry starting in a few years and getting very serious over the next 20 years. And Bush’s Medicare program for the 2004 election cycle has only made the situation worse. On the other hand, Bush’s critics are being a bit disingenuous right now: although Social Security is NOT in a crisis at the moment and not headed for one for a long time, Medicare has a serious crisis looming which will hit sometime after 2008 (convenient for Senor Bush, no?).

I do believe it’s a good idea to discuss reform of our major federal entitlement, which, collectively, are going to blow the budget apart in the next 25 years. Social Security (both the Retirement and Disability parts) as well as Medicare and Medicaid, need to be looked at carefully from a hard numbers perspective. I’m not averse to discussing a wide variety of reforms including partial privatization. But Bush is starting on the ass-end of the problem. I understand why politically, but as policy it sucks donkeys.

Dan

Social Security remains fundamentally corrupt. Much like the Post Office, it is a government entity that appears in good health now, but whose real costs and future consequences are staggering in the long run. Progress in separating future generations of workers from a collapsing system to a more sustainable one is still progress. It’s funny how the Democrats that felt free to try to block the expansion of SS by a mere five million jobs in 1999 feel no qualms about continuing to inflict it on the rest of us.

When exactly is the postal system going out of business? From what I have heard, the USPS takes little to none in government fees, and is entirely self sustaining.

Hmm…there’s this report from the heritage foundation:

http://www.heritage.org/Research/GovernmentReform/BG1685.cfm

Not exactly the most unbiased source, the Heritage foundation has been gunning for the USPS for years.

Current financials for the USPS can be found here:

http://usps.com/financials/fos/welcome.htm

In fact, it’s showing unusually high growth:

http://www.dmnews.com/cgi-bin/artprevbot.cgi?article_id=31922

Above link is a little biased: It’s a news site for junk mailers ahem direct marketers.

There are some complaints that because it has a monopoly, it is horribly inefficient, and everything would be done better with the free hand of the market.

LK, if social security is in fact in need of replacement or reform, how does the Bush proposal help? The Bush privitization plan does not address the long term underfunding of social security. It does partially transform the system to a private investment system, but Bush doesn’t address the very serious issue of transition costs. Is simply borrowing around 4.4 trillion dollars (that’s the latest estimate I’ve heard for a full transition) a good idea? Given that Bush has already put the government into very steep deficit, and that the other entitlements like Medicare are set to blow the deficits sky high over the next decade, is adding another huge chunk of deficit a good idea at this time?

My continuing complaint about Bush is that his proposals don’t match his rhetoric. And in social security, you have a classic example.

LK, tell me, you obviously strongly feel social security needs to be changed or maybe even scrapped. What would you change it to or replace it with? How would you fund the transition? How would you deal with the seniors or prospective seniors who are dependent on it or who have relied upon it as a major part of their retirement plans?

Dan

He would let them fend for themselves. God would want it that way.

Samuelson does something very weird in this column: he tries to make the column about “journalistic malpractice” (he is essentially making the charge that journalists are in-inumerate and lazy, which may be true but is beside the point), but the main thrust of the piece, as I’ve quoted, is really about why the Bush Social Security proposals are bad policy. I am not really sure why Samuelson tries to shift the focus of the article the way he does.

Because he’s a whore. ™

He’s playing cute with the “future massive deficits” thing too - almost all of the shortfall will be in Medicare and Medicaid, not SS.

That is honestly the stupidest thing you’ve ever written in this forum.

It “appears in good health now” but will cost money in the future… That line of reasoning doesn’t even pass the laugh test.

And the post office thing is pure wingnuttery. Did you know that the Postal Service is the only government agency that can spend its own profits rather then returning them to the general fund before being apportioned it’s operating capitol? It’s the most transparent operation in our whole government.

So, does the Bush Social Security plan improve the budget outlook? From all indications, the answer is “no.”

[…]

Judged by this arithmetic, Bush’s Social Security program is a hoax. He’s claiming to make Social Security sustainable. In 40 to 50 years, Bush’s approach might work. But in the next 25 years – when the real budget problem occurs – it does little.

So does it improve the budget outlook or not? Is it a hoax or is it simply an approach from a long-term point of view?

What I’d like is for critics of the Bush SS plan to clearly delineate which parts they are bashing and when. There are clearly two parts to it, one is the setting up of personal retirement accounts and the other is the gradual reduction of benefits. The reason I’d like more clarity from critics is that, for instance, the reducing benefits plank doesn’t increase the deficit one bit. And on the other hand, setting up IA’s doesn’t hurt current SocSec recipients one iota. And furthermore everyone agrees that there will be a shortfall within 50 or so years; so while the SocSec issue isn’t a Bush-styled crisis, it is something that needs to be dealt with.

This isn’t really the topic of this thread, but my understanding is that the big outlay to the USPS from other government revenue is in pensions which are quite generous.

That is honestly the stupidest thing you’ve ever written in this forum.

It “appears in good health now” but will cost money in the future… That line of reasoning doesn’t even pass the laugh test.[/quote]
Despite the overwhelming accusation of failing your “laugh test”, I remain completely unintimidated. And that could change based on your willingness to use “arguments” and “points” rather than just snickering away in your fruiticle.

And the post office thing is pure wingnuttery. Did you know that the Postal Service is the only government agency that can spend its own profits rather then returning them to the general fund before being apportioned it’s operating capitol? It’s the most transparent operation in our whole government.

And did you know that only a person completely ignorant (either honestly or wilfully) of basic economics could make such a laugh-test-failure proposition as yours just now? Did you? Are you familiar with the concepts of monopoly, hidden costs, and the smoke and mirrors show that is government redistribution via bureaucratic salaries and the like? Do you understand what it is to have a massive industry that ought to be premised around efficiency and results but is instead based around the whims of an overgrown union? The profits you so laud (for once) are the products of artificial factors that distribute the costs to the American public (and, incidentally, any other unfortunates that seek to communicate with us) with no fear of penalties.

To be honest, there is little to like about the present situation no matter where you stand. And I completely understand your apprehension about transition costs. But I am fairly certain that no matter what we opt to substitute for the current system, whether it is a born again Sweden or Hong Kong, there will be a massive “transition cost”. The alternative is watching the United States government fall apart and pay exponentially worse “bankruptcy costs” (I say exponentially due to the general undermining of our finances rather than literally) within the next 20 years. Either we begin planning for a substitute and a payment plan now, or we emigrate to countries still gullible enough to value the dollar at all these days.

I agree that we need to address the future of entitlement programs in this country. I don’t agree that we need to find a “substitute” for all of the major federal entitlements: I think Social Security in specific can be fixed with fairly minor adjustments over time. Medicare requires a serious overhaul, either via incorporation into a national health system (preferably a hybrid market/public system as I’ve discussed in other threads), or via a complete restructuring.

But the point of my original post was that this sort of serious reform is NOT what Bush is doing. Bush is proposing a partial privatization that woudl change social security structurally but would not actually help with underfunding. Also his Medicare “reform” of last year actually made that program far worse. Bush is seizing on the existence of a real problem (chronic longterm underfunding of social security) to promote a non-solution to the problem.

I was not a knee-jerk Bush hater when he took office. I didn’t vote for him in either election but in 01 I was willing to reserve judgement. But after 4 solid years of Bush I’m convinced that he is the worst president in my memory. His judgement regarding facts and realities is poor, IMO. His judgement regarding the people he trusts and likes versus those he distrusts and dislikes, is poor, IMO. His idealogy as evidenced by the practical applications of his policies (as opposed to his rhetoric) is wrongheaded, simplistic, and inconsistent, IMO. His political tactics are amongst the most vicious and disrespectful of major modern political figures IMO. His communication style, especially the use of suggestive and disingenuous techniques to create false impressions in the minds of many of his supporters, is very dangerous in a democracy, IMO. And perhaps most signficant, I think his priorities are way off.

This social security debate is a good example: its the wrong issue right now (IMO the deficit, federal spending, and Medicare are more important federal budgetary issues right now, and the weakened labor market is actually the most important economic issue overall). Also his proposal is not a solution to the problem. Also, he is framing both the problem and his proposal in disingenuous terms. And his allies use despicable tactics to attack those who disagree.

It’s like “why I hate Bush” in a microcosm :).

Dan

Wow, that’s a boatload of content free bile. Did you cut and paste that from one of those websites that has lots of things IN ALL CAPS FOR EFFECT?

The cost to fix social security permanently is a one-time bump of 2% of GDP; this is roughly equivalent to a rate bump from 28 to 30 or whatever.

That’s it. A crisis it ain’t.

[quote=“Andrew_Mayer”]

Wow, that’s a boatload of content free bile. Did you cut and paste that from one of those websites that has lots of things IN ALL CAPS FOR EFFECT?[/quote]
Turnabout is fair play, Andrew. You distribute it and then expect someone to care about your indignation when it is returned to you. Accusing me of plagiarism is a really original spin, though.

McCullough, I completely disagree. The problem with social security is its very nature: present generations supporting previous (working) generations. All you’re talking about is short term stopgaps. Medical and extended lifespan costs will continue to grow at a faster rate than cost effective workers will, especially as the economy globalizes further. Since you don’t mind the concept of a national economy based around the provision of healthcare over all other goods (at least when this argument occurs), you are comfortable with the constant redistribution of a greater and greater share of product into healthcare. I think the entire idea is corrupt; it should be optional participation in a heavily regulated, competitive market. Not the exact opposite.

No, LK, it’s not a short-term stopgap. Using the SS actuary numbers and future demographic projections out to 75 years, that’s it.

You’re talking about Medicare/Medicaid on the health care thing, which is a different problem entirely.