Robin Hood

About 2/3rds of the way through the movie when the plot went from fun and over the top to laughably goofy.

The writer for Robin Hood has a, uh, pretty spotty track record including such gems as The Postman and Knight’s Tale, so I’m not holding out hope for the plot here making any more sense than Gladiator.

Hey, don’t knock a Knights Tale. That’s where I fell in love with Shannyn Sossamon.

*Cheesy movie love, not psycho stalker love… really.

This movie needs Alan Rickman.

Also, sometime in January I’m going to begin working on my movie remake script, The Disc of E’li, about a giant rundown space station that’s been abandoned after years of intergalactic war. The survivors on the station eke out a hardscrabble existence, until the mysterious stranger known as E’li appears, carrying with him a holodisc that could mean the salvation for the people there. Also, zombies and killer robots.

No, it needs Robert Shaw.

I actually think it looks really good, although I’ve found all of Ridley’s movies this decade at least a little disappointing, at least since Blackhawk Down.

But I’m a sucker for the Robin Hood legend - probably the best iteration was the 1980s BBC TV show, at least the first season, with Ray Winstone and funky Clannad music - which added some Celtic paganism to the mix.

So an awful movie and an underrated classic? I like these odds!

Is that the weird looking girl that the camera kept focusing on when it should have been fixed on Laura Fraser for the entire movie?

Well this discussion went south quickly. First of all I never said that Gladiator was bad. I also never said that a different take on Robin Hood was bad. And it’s obviously difficult to judge the movie from the trailer. BUT, if there’s gonna be a Robin Hood movie I expect certain things to be a big focus. I don’t want to see Robin Hood swordfighting most of the time, I want to see him make Legolas look like an infant with his awesome bow skills. I don’t want to see Robin Hood riding into battle with a faceless army, I want to see him fighting with a ragtag group of tough and scruffy but likable guys. You can change lots of stuff with the story, but give me a big showdown with an evil looking sheriff.

Actually, in several of the recent versions of Robin Hood, the sheriff hasn’t necessarily been a bad buy at all (unlike Prince/King John and Sir Guy). Hell, in Robin and Marian, the Sheriff is probably the hero.

I can’t be sure, but it seemed like the battle sequences were likely references to his service in the Crusades.

It has the best music of almost any Disney movie!

He also won an Oscar for L.A. Confidential.

I think the problem here is that the “darker version” thing has become a synonym for “I have no depth or creativity but I want to look deep and creative”

Not to mention the absolute best Sheriff of Nottingham ever: proof.

Oh, the merry men will be there. They just chose to focus on Robin Hood and Marian.

This certainly isn’t your Grandma’s Robin Hood.

I took some of the flashy bow release shots sort of as a promise that yes, the badass bow is in there, but we’re not going to spoil that for you in the trailer.

While that works out to about $60m today when adjusted for inflation, it was very expensive for the time. According to Box Office Mojo’s numbers Star Trek II, which was much more successful and released the same year, cost about half as much to make. By that standard, Blade Runner was very expensive to make. Scott had the cache at the time off the success of Alien, but even then he ran into issues with the financiers due to cost and time overruns. That’s what ultimately lead to Scott not being in charge of editing the theatrical release.

Certainly, and I don’t want to knock the effort involved in a good adaption, but James Ellroy wrote L.A. Confidential.

The rest of Brian Helgeland’s track record is pretty schlocky. Some of it okay Schlock, but I mentioned it to point out that I should probably not expect much with this here Robin Hood.

A Knight’s Tale is such a damn good time. It really ticks me off that I didn’t get to see that in a theatre because it had to be even more awesome on the big screen.

Could be worse.

This summer… Jason Statham IS… whack-a-punch-a-smacko ROBIN HOOD (a McG film)

or

pounding rock soundtrack, nonsensical fast-cut action scenes, and big text-overs HOODS. WILL. BE. ROBBED. SUMMER 2010

or

You thought you knew the legend. Rob Zombie’s creative vision comes to theaters next summer… FOREST OF 1000 MERRY MEN

or simply

Robin Hood (directed by Uwe Boll).

I love The Duellists, Gladiator and I even think the director’s cut of Kingdom of Heaven is pretty fabulous. So, I’m in.