Roblox is one of the biggest games of 2016 that you're not playing

When they first asked me for it I said no way, because I just assumed it would be full of nazis. They’ve somehow managed to keep the platform relatively tame, while maintaining a some sort of meme culture that kids are into.

My daughter started playing all these horror games on Roblox (she is a good egg), and was telling me all about SCPs. I had no idea what they were. SCPs are apparently this digital larp… kind of like Control I guess? People make up monsters or entities, give them a backstory, an SCP number, and write about how this fake agency is managing them. Now there are SCPs that live inside Roblox.

http://www.scpwiki.com/

The Internet is a fascinating place.

Oh, man. You’ve been missing out on years of SCP stuff.

Control is clearly inspired by SCP.

My kid is obsessed with SCP thanks to Roblox. So I was well familiar with it when I started Control.

Every new monster he says something like “That’s just like SCP 272”

This is the one I see her playing all the time lately

Then she runs around the house screaming and telling her brother she’s the SCP

This thread bump reminds me - recently someone tried to hack into my Roblox account, something I forgot I had (my daughter got me to play with her for a weekend years ago). Thankfully it must have been set up with two factor because my email gave me a code, which I ignored and promptly changed my password. Must have been the same password I used to use years ago for everything that was obtained via some sort of massive hack you read about.

I only catch up to this thread sporadically, but this comment made me smile. Back in 2008-2009, my twins were heavily into Roblox, like their younger siblings have been after them. And I was very much aware of it too because that year is the first time (and thankfully one of the very few times) one of the twins got banned from an official forum for getting into a flame wars with other players. He was all of 10-11 back then. Led to a good parenting talk. :)

FYI, Roblox went public a couple weeks ago so you guys can spend your money on owning the company instead of on useless game type stuff!

More than once I wondered if there is actually gameplay in Roblox…I have yet to see it…but some of the parkour stuff is near…

I try to make my kids do something else…anything else.

NMPA president/CEO David Israelite announced the lawsuit against Roblox at the trade group’s 2021 annual meeting. He cited Roblox’s massive user base of more than 42 million active daily players and alleged that Roblox has gone to great lengths to avoid paying music creators.

Roblox has earned “hundreds of millions of dollars by requiring users to pay every time they upload music onto the platform — taking advantage of young people’s lack of understanding about copyright — and then they take virtually no action to prevent repeat infringement or alert users to the risks they are taking,” Israelite said in his comments at the meeting.

Despite the impact of COVID, we had significant growth in 2020. And that speaks to the strength of not only the diversification of our income streams

I’d laugh, but since all the major internet companies are located in America and thus subjected to Labels blackmailing, fair use has been destroyed worldwide for the aural world, and I hear the next target is to destroy it for the rest of the mediums, the visual ones.

Tue, but Roblox in general is a hive of IP infringement, for almost universally terrible games (especially anime - plots, names of characters/powers/places/whatever, character designs, sound effects and on and on). Of the things my kids have coaxed me into playing with them, the few that I actually enjoyed were 100% original (near as I could tell).

I wrote a little roblox game last christmas just for giggles where teams of grandmothers fight against a high speed reindeer. It’s janky as all heck but kinda fun for about 5 minutes. Wasn’t easy to get things working well in their framework cause I was trying to do things outside what they anticipate - like using a custom avatar for the reindeer - had to learn the whole animation system, not just the easy peasy add-ons that are typically used.

But if you are sticking to what it does well, you can get a game up and running pretty fast if you already have some idea how to code. Making it look good and become popular is a different story, which is why so many of the games fall into about 5 catagories that are easy to put together.

Yeah, I hold to my default position:

fuck the MPAA

Like I don’t even care what Roblox did or does, I just always want the MPAA to lose.

From the “serious business of making games thread”

How does Roblox get away with having direct ip clones? I’m no Pokémon expert, but the Pokémon clone looks very accurate. Some people put a great many hours into developing that.

Apparently some ips are banned. But most aren’t.

Probably just hasn’t been squashed yet. Ther are tons of Pokémon and Minecraft clones, games with Marvel and DC superheroes, games with lots of (no doubt) unlicensed music. My son often use to fire up a game to find it’s gone, sometimes it just takes a while.

One of the weirder denials I’ve seen a company feeling compelled to make - “Chipotle did not take our infra down”.