RoboCop Returns with Blomkamp at the Helm

DO NOT WANT.

Lets hope they make an even more awesome looking armor than the 2014 reboot.

:|

Yay, more reboots.

Robocop is a perfect film, and IMO you don’t generally need to remake perfect films. The ones you want to remake are the ones that didn’t quite succeed the first time. Like The Fly, for example. Great ending but otherwise pretty dull the first time around.

I’m cautiously optimistic. I barely remember the last RoboCop reboot because it was so bland, even though I watched it.

I always forget it happened until I’m trawling Google Image Search for pictures of evil cyborgs to feature as token art for my RPG sessions and pictures from it crop up.

It wasn’t as good as the original but it was a perfectly watchable movie, which is more than I can say for most remakes.

Robocop + Die Antwoord.

Blomkamp directing with someone else writing is the best hope for a good Blomkamp movie, so at least there’s that.

I’m going to go against type and admit I liked the 2014 reboot more than the original. I think because as a young lad I expected kind of a super hero film and instead got a horror show with mutilation, themes of rape, and buckets of gore. I remember my friends and I all watching it for the first time at a birthday party and everyone stopped enjoying their pizza pretty early in. :(

The new one, however, feels more like the action/adventure I wanted when I was a kid, and I really liked it. I watched it a second time and still enjoyed it.

I don’t know if we need another version of it, for sure. But I mean, hey why not.

I disliked the remake so much I didn’t even watch it.

insert Nathan Fillion confused GIF here

They need to make a Robocop vs Terminator vs Judge Dredd vs Aliens vs Batman movie already.

Loved the original but know some were grossed out by it. Thought the reboot was meh, but better than the original’s several sequels.

What’s the Predator, chopped liver?

You could really see that the remake started life as something interesting, a remake with a “take” instead of just plodding over well worn ground, and it had a talented director behind it. But you could also make out what looks like heavy, heavy studio involvement and a desire to make something more widely accessible (including a PG-13 rating, I believe), with less thought behind it.

It’s a real shame. The bones of an interesting film are buried in the remake, and I’d love to see what that would have looked like. In fact, I think some of the themes they were shooting for (drone warfare versus warfare controlled, ostensibly, by a being with some idea of morals) will be explored in, of all things, the new Top Gun being made.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this is going to be based of what was originally supposed to be Robocop 2 before Frank Miller got involved?

If it’s based on the script by the original writer, this at least has my attention.

I’d love to see Verhoeven do this(or any other big science fiction project).

I remember hating the SHIT out of Robocop 2 as a 16 or 17 year old, however old I was when it came out. That might be the first movie I legitimately resented for existing as a teenager.

The only thing I liked about that movie was the montage of failed Robocop replacements. That’s pretty much it.

I was actually just discussing this with my friend the other day, not the new movie but Robocop in general.

Can Robocop fuck?

Question is whether he’s just half a face, a brain, and spine or a basically normal guy with no arms or legs. I know the various movies, adaptions, cartoons, and TV series all have different opinions on that. None of them, to my knowledge, directly addressed whether Robocop could get laid.

Also, does Robocop poop? We know he eats a nutrient paste. It’s got to go somewhere, right?

Yeah, I assume they keep a digestive system. That’s pretty essential.

My reading of the original movie is that the head and torso were left pretty much intact. Obviously some hardware wired into the brain. And ‘total limb prosthesis.’

Sex? Don’t see much point in keeping that stuff around.

Bob Morton: “Lose the dick.”