Rock Band 3: Qt3 league?

Ok, let’s do this thing. Keldon’s is back, fully armed and operational, so that should make things easier to keep tabs on.

Failing any real interest in getting a league going, I’d still like to get a regular playing session going. I’m not even looking for virtuoso’s, just people to play with casually is fine.

Sign in if interested! (State your prefered instrument and platform and time available to play)

I am by far most proficient with pro drums on the 360, but can fumble around (poorly) on other instruments. Available 6 PM - 2:45 AM Mountain Time (GMT-7) most days.

Things I do well:

Pro Drums
Guitar
Bass

Things I okay:

Pro Keys
Vox

Things I do poorly:

Pro Guitar/Bass on Squier

I’ll play just about anything though, although I prefer doing Pro mode if possible.

Oh right, this!

I initially punted this because it didn’t seem like we had enough interest, and then totally forgot about it. But I’d be in if there’s enough interest to put a few bands together for a small league.

Not having Pro Guitar, how does that work in a band context? Can you have a band with a mix of Pro and non-Pro players?

I don’t see why not. Perhaps introduce some handicaps to level the playing field. That might even get some easy-medium players involved? To actually develop a handicap system would be the tricky part.

I’ll play.

No pro instruments for me.

But I can play regular expert guitar, bass, or drums.

My wife can do expert vox and hard/expert regular keys.

Expert vox here.

We should probably add locations and platforms to help facilitate bandmaking. I’m West Coast / PST / X360.

Also, something to keep in mind is that RB3 bands can’t actually have a guitarist, bassist and keyboardist – you can only have 2 of those 3 in any band. (I think it has something to do with the animation system).

Damn it, I slipped to 5th on Cosmic Dancer.

I’m still into it, if we have enough people. X360 - MST . I have all of the pro instruments, if that is factoring into anything.

East Coast / EST / X360

I’m going to be out of town Friday and Saturday this week, but may be up for gaming Sunday!

At the very least, we can put together some bands, boost up our scores.

Sadly I don’t have a console, but I’m curious - how does a game like this get around the time-lag inherent in online gaming? I’d think even 50-100ms would matter?

You just don’t hear the missed note until the lag time has elapsed. So, it’ll skip a different note than the one the person missed instead. It’s actually quite seemless.

For band play, 2-4 players are essentially playing independent tracks and contributing to a community score. Outside of people using Overdrive for a score multiplier, they don’t really “interact” with each other in any meaningful way. So the score might lag 100-500ms behind at any given time, but it has no impact on the gameplay.

Competitive play works pretty much the same way. 2 people play their own independent track, and the server tries to update the score as best as it can. I’ve had close Score Duel matches where I thought I’d won or lost and then the real final score would resolve a half second after the final notes are played.

All standard instruments on expert, prokeys on medium, Europe.

Expert bass, Expert guitar up to around 4/5 stars difficulty, Hard for the nightmare shredder stuff. Hard drums. CET +1 on the 360.

I’m up for an informal league or just jamming around. I broke one of my fingers last year and it has not mended quite like i want to so I can’t do all nighters without a rest, i normally have to throw in the towel after a couple of hours.

I’m Game! Pretty much any evening after 7pm EST except Sunday and Thursday (which are my GT5 league races). I’m on 360 and prefer expert guitar but I will happily play bass as well. I pretty much suck at/have very little interest in the other instruments, but I can play em in a pinch.

I’m so jealous of you guys with genuine talent. Me, I can’t get past the 2 and 3 stars songs on hard guitar/bass despite serious work at it. I’m rhythmically challenged and too dang slow. It’s a pity, because I’ve improved to the point where medium bores me but the top half of hard is an insurmountable hurdle. Oh well, it’s still fun to play with friends and at parties.

Yeah Dave, the Medium to hard jump is really, really tough, so don’t feel bad. One trick is to slide your hand down so your pinky is on orange and you reach to green with your index. But more than that what you need to do is unlearn the idea off attaching a specific color to a specific finger.

I had a tough time there as well and I would say keep at it. Also, I may be an expert player, but it has literally taken hundreds of hours of playing to get there.

Good advice, definitely. I do position shift quite a bit (usually from first to third position), but I hadn’t given any consideration to making second position my default and just reaching for green. I’ll give it a try–many thanks.

And you’re right about the cliff-like jump between medium and hard. I wish medium was a bit more challenging or hard a touch easier (or both) to smooth the transition out some.