Rock Band for PS2?

I stand corrected.

Finally got Rock Band (standalone game, no bundle) for PS2, so I can confirm a few things…

• PS3 and PS2 drums are interchangable, but not Xbox 360 drums. I’m using a set of PS3 drums I bought off eBay.

• Wireless Kramer guitars work fine

• Singstar P1 mic works fine

• You do need a USB hub for 4 players, mainly because the singing position requires a controller port.

• Unlikely to show up on the 'nets as an PS2 ISO because it’s a true dual-layer disc, with lots of content filling the disc. Evidently it’s difficult to boot dual-layer ISOs on the PS2. Still no torrent online, and that’s why.

It’s surprisingly faithful to the Xbox 360 version graphically and load times aren’t too bad. Other than the obvious deficiencies-- lack of downloadable content, no band customization, limited world tour-- it’s a decent version of the game. No obvious problems like the PS2 version of GH3 (where’s my coop quickplay? oh right, PS2 games can’t be patched), anyway.

oh, also, the PS2 version of Rock Band saves high scores for quickplay.

Go fucking figure. The one essential feature that’s inexplicably missing from the other versions.

Well I can confirm. That konami’s usb mics and the drummania drum pad for the ps2 DO NOT WORK!!! Which is just dumb.

OK, so it looks you need the PS2 multitap to have 4 players, if you’re using traditional controller (not USB) connected guitars. Again, this is largely due to the vocalist requiring a controller port.

Weird. We have the konami headset style mics as well (Singstar mics are handheld, like the ones in the RB special edition box), I didn’t try them yet. Surprised they don’t work!

Another (stupid) revelation: the reason the PS2 graphics look so unbelievably good is because EVERY SONG PLAYS A PRE-RENDERED BAND MOVIE IN THE BACKGROUND.

The movie was probably recorded from an Xbox 360. That’s why there’s no band customization features, and the “canned” band members are used every time! The environments are never rendered in 3D, only as static video, aka the “Sony Killzone 2” technique.

I cannot believe how long it took me to figure this out. It seems so obvious in retrospect. This also jibes with the dual-layer DVD, which implies tons of video. One per song, natch…

So glad I bought a 360. I’m not ashamed to admit that I love dressing my girl up and watching her rock out.

You know, I actually didn’t pick up on this and I don’t think any of the reviews mentioned it.

Edit: Actually, GameSpot sort of caught it:

Granted, it almost seems like the game is just running full-motion video of characters from the PS3 or 360 versions playing because the game uses a lot of the same band members over and over again.

Wait, so does that mean, you can’t even choose your own character then? Is it always male or female? Or do you choose from a range of characters, like in Guitar Hero?

Actually, it’s more like the technique used in Fear Effect back in ye olde PSX days.

OK, so it looks you need the PS2 multitap to have 4 players

Finally got my cheap eBay PS2 multitap clone. Works fine, but (per the RB manual) you have to put a gamepad + memory card in the P1 (A) position on the multitap to get it to work. Putting a guitar in P1 (A) does not work!

We were able to get all 4 players to join the “band” on the PS2 using the multitap. Yay!

Oh, and by the way, something I just found out.

PRACTICE MODE IN PS2 IS ENTIRE-SONG ONLY.

Holy. Fucking. Jesus. Christ. I certainly don’t remember seeing this in any of the reviews.

That is a deal breaker, considering I now have to play the entire length of Green Grass & High Tides to get to the solo 2H sections (and beyond) where I start to have problems.

Fuck me.

Holy fuck that is terrible. Obviously they’re trying to force people to buy a version that supports DLC.

Only $60 once you have the hardware…

Yeah, I was pretty shocked to find that too. What’s even weirder is that you can choose your section when playing at 70%, but not at full speed (At least I can). It’s so completely random, it makes me wonder if it’s actually a bug rather than a design decision.

Oh, sweet, thanks RobF. As long as I can choose a section. 70% is fine for the crap I’ll have to practice in GG&HT.

I can confirm that, in “Slow” mode (there are only two, fast or slow) you can in fact select the section(s) of the song you want to play. In “fast” mode the only option is to play the entire song.

Stupid crappy PS2 version. Well, at least I can practice without playing the whole song.

Wait, what does it mean that “the singing position requires a controller port?” I own SingStar for the PS2, and the microphones plug into my PS2 USB drive. Does the lead singer need a microphone AND a controller for some reason?

I may actually pick up RB for the PS2, seeing as I may already own 3 of the 4 instruments. Is there any plan to sell the drums individually? Is the game missing something critical if your band doesn’t have a drummer?

Does the lead singer need a microphone AND a controller for some reason?

Yes, exactly

Is there any plan to sell the drums individually?

Amazon sez Jan 31st. PS2 can use PS3 drumkit.

Is the game missing something critical if your band doesn’t have a drummer?

Can you really bring the rock without a driving backbeat? RHETORICAL QUESTION MY FRIEND.