Rocket League

I’ve had good luck timing a demolish kill on the guy hanging back as a goalie right when our team makes their push.

I think it is just weird that a “demolish” nets you 0 points. It shows up on the screen as a notification, but you don’t get any XP out of it. It is an important tactic to take out other players that are ball focused and just sitting out waiting for a pass. It can really disrupt/stop a push towards your goal, as the ball bounces harmlessly across the middle with nobody to take a shot.

That being said, people are awful at this game. Last night, I played a game we lost 7-2, and the other team scored 7 goals in 3 shots on goal.

Our own team knocked the other 4 in.

If you are new to the game, please don’t just spam double jump everywhere and just hit the ball willy nilly. Sometimes it is better to not hit the ball if your positioning is bad.

Unfortunately, just hitting the ball is a very exciting proposition for new players, so it can be tough to get them to calm down and hang back. I’ve gotten much better at Rocket League since I started playing, and by far my most effective tactic is to hang back from the scrum around the ball and wait for it to pop into an advantageous spot on the field so I can take control and smash it into the goal. This works all the time because so many people are unwilling to not be going for the ball 100% of the time.

I’m still barely out of the tutorial, I’ve only been playing with my wife who I was hoping would enjoy this game. The last game we were able to play together was Mario Kart on the Wii U. Our biggest nitpick is the disorientation that results when driving up a wall. I know you can hit triangle (on the PS4 controller) to direct the camera at the ball, but still feels weird and is unfortunately the point of contention for us right now (when I say us I mean her).

Is this something that starts to feel more natural eventually?

Not really. I eventually got used to toggling the ball camera mode on and off depending on what I was doing, but it still doesn’t feel great.

I think it does get easier and easier. At first, I found it very difficult to properly line up shots with the ball cam, but I can hit them pretty reliably now. Likewise, going up the wall is still tricky, but it’s no longer the massive disorienting thing it was at first. Learning when to switch in and out of ball-cam is vital. Certain shots are just much easier to line up when you don’t have ball cam on. Learn to watch the rings on the ground that indicate where the ball is and how close to the ground it is and eventually you’ll be pulling off bicycle kicks like a (semi)pro.

This game is incredibly fun. Anyone looking to team up?

Yes it has the fov sliders

I would love to team up. Is there really no Qt3 league?

steam: petercrapsody

Do we have enough players for form enough teams?

ps: Search for ‘poddster’ on steam. Lowercase seems to matter. Uppercase “Pod” also find me.

Playing this with friends is very fun. Its a nice small game, with a few network problems that could be other people mistakes.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/30/rocket-league-supersonic-fury-dlc-pack-coming-this-august/

Supersonic Fury DLC coming. Two new cars and cosmetics.

Free update will add a new stadium, spectator mode, and more effects.

1 million units sold on Steam.

Also, on sale for 10% off, and you get a free copy with the purchase of a Steam Controller or Link

IMPRESSIVE!

After playing for 20 hours against computer players, this is still my game of the year. I really hope they get some Asian servers up soon so I can play against actual people.

Spent 6 hours tonight playing, its REALLY good.

I will be playing this from 10pm till I pass out tonight, if anyone wants to join. :)

Developers are “in talks” with studios to make either a TV show or movie based on Rocket League.

A toy line is also being discussed.

Ah cool, I’ve burned out on this after 15 hours of casual play, along with the fact I have tons of backlog to work on. I am still up for a game or two if anyone wants, just hit me up on steam.

I need a Rocket League toy that has a real turbo boost with the money stream trail. :D

Revenge of the Battle-Cars DLC announced. $3.99

• 2 new cars
  • new accessories for those cars

Free portion of the DLC will be two night versions of current arenas. Urban Station (Night) and Utopia Coliseum (Dusk).