Rocksmith

I’ve had some interest in this title as I’ve been working on learning guitar, and it seems the release date has snuck up on me. It comes out next week for 360 and PS3 for $79.99. It appears like it could be a better tool for learning guitar than Rock Band. I had some fun with the Squier on Rock Band, but I learn a ton more just using an amp and online lessons.

Anyone picking it up? I may wait for the PC one, but that’s not due out until December.

I hadn’t heard of this before now, but I’m suddenly very interested.

I held off on buying a Rock Band Squier because I already have a guitar. However, buying a new game with which I can use said guitar is more palatable to me.

There’s even a pretty solid setlist, though I can’t tell if they’re master tracks or not. The site says, “Each of these will feature the real lead, rhythm, and combo guitar compositions found in the songs,” but the apparent side-stepping around actually using the term “master track” leads me to believe they’re not.

The impressions I’ve read have been fairly positive. It apparently meets the halfway point between full on game and full on instructional tool, but leans more towards instructional tool.

As someone who knows how to read music, and how to play a couple of other instruments (including bass) I’m tempted to get this to finally push myself over the edge on guitar.

I ordered it from Amazon. I couldn’t justify the price of the Rock Band Squire when I’ve got a real Strat in the basement I never learned how to play. It didn’t occur to me that the music might not be master tracks; it really hope it is.

2 interesting videos which show off the gameplay and explain what “dynamic difficulty” means:

Dynamic difficulty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0yhx5aDjws

David MeShow playing Rocksmith: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtLvZ3eFcNQ

It’s not out in Europe before 2012, so I have plenty of time to read impressions and reviews about the game.

Wendelius

I had some hands on time with the game, and I give it a definite thumbs up:

http://www.fakeplasticrock.com/2011/09/rocksmith-hands-on-preview/

I was worried about latency of detection but that wasn’t an issue. Realize that I am a total noob, though.

Sounds better than I would have expected. May be worth a shot!

Since I already have the rockband fender I am seriously giving this a look. I will more then likely pick it up in the very near future.

I was “Meh” since I’ve got RB3 and already gave up on the Squier since I wanted to play my other guitar and I wanted to avoid muted strings the Squier detection requires. With RB3 I can sort of do that in no-fail mode. Mine is a very old guitar (no-midi, just a 1/4" jack) and I figured any RB3 competitor would require midi out.

Well, after watching the linked video, I’m interested. It’ll work with my 1960’s electric guitar! It’ll run on Windows! I think it’s going on my Christmas list.

I’m actually VERY interested in Rocksmith. I never did pick up the RB3 guitar, but I have a nice simple Strat I picked up on the cheap a few years ago that I’ve never really gotten good at. Being able to hook it up to this game and get in some legitimate practice appeals to me. :)

Does the adapter have a passthru for a real amp?

I’m impressed by how much they have been able to limit the lag. The only thing holding me back from buying this at launch is the setlist. While it has a lot of good songs on it, there aren’t enough that appeal to me to the point that I want to spend the time to learn them on guitar. If the DLC ends up being good, I’ll definitely grab the game.

Has there been a full song list posted? It says 50 songs, but I’ve only seen a subset listed anywhere.

The full setlist has yet to be officially released.

In one of the promo videos the guy says they focused on Alternative music because those songs all use some technique that is easier to learn.

I had no idea this was going to be available on the PC. Gizmos to hook a non-midi guitar to your PC typically cost over $100, and this comes with actual training software to boot, and songs? I’m no longer disappointed that I didn’t buy the RB Fender. Wumpus’ review made this sound excellent.

Official setlist

The Animals – House of the Rising Sun
Best Coast – When I’m With You
The Black Keys – Next Girl
The Black Keys – I Got Mine
Blur – Song 2
The Boxer Rebellion – Step Out The Car
Chris Lee – Boss *
Cream – Sunshine Of Your Love
The Cribs – We Share The Same Skies
The Cure – Boys Don’t Cry
Dan Auerbach – I Want Some More
David Bowie – Rebel Rebel
The Dead Weather – I Can’t Hear You
Eric Clapton – Run Back To Your Side
Franz Ferdinand – Take Me Out
The Horror – Do You Remember
Incubus – I Miss You
Interpol – Slow Hands
Jarvis Cocker – Angela
Jenny O – Well OK Honey
Kings Of Leon – Use Somebody
Lenny Kravitz – Are You Gonna Go My Way
Little Barrie – Surf Hell
Lynyrd Skynyrd – Sweet Home Alabama
Muse – Unnatural Selection
Muse – Plug In Baby
Nirvana – In Bloom
Nirvana – Breed
The Pixies – Where Is My Mind
Queens of the Stone Age – Go With The Flow
Radiohead – High And Dry
The Rapscallions – California Brain
Red Fang – Number Thirteen
Red Hot Chili Peppers – Higher Ground
The Rolling Stones – The Spider And The Fly
The Rolling Stones – Play With Fire
The Rolling Stones – (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
Seth Chapla – Jules *
Sigur Ros – Gobbledigook
Silversun Pickups – Panic Switch
Soundgarden – Outshined
Spoon – Me And The Bean
Stone Temple Pilots – Between The Lines
Stone Temple Pilots – Vasoline
The Strokes – Under Cover Of Darkness
Taddy Porter – Mean Bitch
Titus Andronicus – A More Perfect Union
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers – Good Enough
Velvet Revolver – Slither
White Denim – Burnished
The White Stripes – Icky Thump
The xx – Islands
Yellow Moon Band – Chimney

I hope they add some hard rock/metal DLC. A lot of that list doesn’t do much for me. Either way, I’m going to wait for the PC version so I can practice in my office (where I usually practice guitar). Speaking of, I just sold my Squier on eBay and am getting a real guitar. Woo.

Yeah, that list makes me think I’ll wait until a bit more DLC becomes available. Maybe a good thing…

Man the thought of being able to pick up a random guitar and start playing the opening riff of I Got Mine is just about enough to get me to drop $200 on this.

I wonder if they will include any pure lesson type stuff like the rock band drum trainer.