Rocksmith

Im just browsing trough the steam achievements and see this one:
Just Singing?

Using a mic, sing along and achieve Good Singing

How does that work? Just pluggin a mic and sing? If so, this game is even better than I thought. Bass/guitar and now singing?

After so many delays I had successfully stopped anticipating this, and completely missed the release. Thanks to the GOTY thread for reminding me! It’s on the way from Amazon, along with some sort of flashlight designed to cook a turkey across the road. Qt3 is making me a poor man.

If you get it before the steam sale is over, the dlc are 35% off(except the last - foo fighters). You wont regret it, if you are into e-guitar/bass. I know i dont.

You can get the songs before you get the actual game, just buy them as gifts and keep them in your inventory.

Thanks, for the heads-up on the sale, by the way. I grabbed a few extra songs for myself.

I am NOT buying songs for a game I don’t even own yet. But damn I’m tempted. I mean, is it even vaguely possible this game can teach me to play “The Thrill is Gone?”

I don´t know about you, but it could teach this one:

:)

I guess it only sounds complicated when B.B. plays it. This, however:

Yeesh.

The soloing towards the end. I wonder how long you need to get that speed. A year, maybe two of daily training?

ugh, Avenged Sevenfold. I can only tolerate so much eyeliner emo heavy metal.

No doubt, it’s fast as shit, but I would say that it’s only three or four separate phrases. Like juggling, once you get the trick down you never lose it. I’d say two months, tops, you could program those boxes into your muscles.

Not to get too far off thread, but I really struggle with that band. I’ll hear some badass riff or solo and think “man these guys can really rock”. Then they will start playing some poppy chorus bs and I’ll hate it.

I’ve been playing daily for the last 8 months and don’t have even close to the speed required to play that.

But how would you rate your progress otherwise, particularly in respect to the experience the game provides?

I’m not really sure how fast other beginners progress, so I find it hard to rate my own. I’m pretty happy with how things are going, progress is sometimes slow but I still enjoy myself. Also it never ceases to surprise me how I can struggle with something for what seems like weeks, then suddenly I can do it. Like barre chords. For what seemed like the longest time I swore a barred F chord was impossible for me (“it has to be the shape of my fingers!”), then one day it just seemed like I was able to do it and now I’m pretty comfortable playing them all over the neck.

I don’t play Rocksmith every day, but I do daily practice following the beginner course on justinguitar.com (pretty much at the end of that now) - I think they both compliment each other well and would recommend both. Justin provides a solid foundation for technique and all the things a game can’t really teach you, it’s also how I learned all the chords I know (something I don’t think the game does well).

I feel like the game has massively helped with finding my way around the fretboard. I’ve gained a pretty good feel for where the strings and frets are without having to look at the guitar (though far from perfect) and I think that’s purely down to the game. It isn’t something I specifically trained at, it just came naturally because the game pretty much forces you to watch the screen. It makes me feel pretty awesome to jump from one end of the neck to the other in Thrill is Gone and nail the right notes.

I think that’s what the game is best at really. It does a good job of making you feel badass even though the song isn’t fully leveled up, and that keeps you playing. You get to see the number of notes increase over time and can see that you’re getting better. It can be challenging, but that just makes it more rewarding.

I do think out of game practice is important to develop technique and not get sloppy though. I still struggle with unwanted noise and trying to keep unplayed strings muted, but I’m certain I’ll keep getting better.

My biggest complaint with the game is that I want more blues!

Thanks for the feedback. I snagged a copy online and will give it a crack.

Cheers!

For those who don´t like A7X, you can play Nickelback instead :P

If I got it correctly, the new year will bring weekly new song-packs, so there is a good chance of more blues and metal.

“You can be kicked right to the balls, or have a foot jammed straight up your ass.” My opinion on Avenged or Nickelback. But here’s hoping Rocksmith’s anemic DLC situation improves in the New Year; I love the game and what it tries to do, but it shipped with just an absolutely shite song list. “Angela…do do…do do…do do do do do…” UGH

Regarding using Rocksmith (and to a lesser extent Rock Band) and online lessons. I worked on learning guitar this way for about a year. Eventually I hit a point where I wasn’t happy with progress I was making and decided to take real lessons. Since I started that, my learning has increased about 10 fold in speed. I use Rocksmith for practice/fun, but the difference between before and after lessons has been night and day. A lot of this was related to bad habits I had developed, and someone helping me through rough stuff like barre chords and proper muting. Couldn’t be happier with my $20/week. (Caveat: Obviously you need a good teacher for this benefit, but I lucked into finding one).

I plan to take lessons as well, just as soon as my fingers toughen back up a bit. I just finished a session with Rocksmith, and I think it’s a winner as far as keeping the interest level up. I do find the beginning parts to be hard to play simply because I have trouble coordinating finding the beat they’re going after, deciphering which fret I’m supposed to be on (couldn’t they just put a friggin’ number on the frets?) and then trying to figure out the color code for the string (again, an option to put a number or note on the little incoming boxes would help.) I Can’t Get No Satisfaction was driving me crazy because my brain wants to play the entire riff, not 4 out of 5 notes, so I kept hitting the last note early.

All of that will work out with familiarity, I’m sure, especially when the phrases stabilize enough to where you can see it coming in advance and just play the thing.

[George] I got blisters on me fingers![/George]

I’m getting much better at spotting what’s coming down the line and I turned on emulated bass for my guitar; I think I’m in love. Bass just makes so much more sense to me since I can concentrate on the coming notes and not the rhythm, which I just hear. I’m going to go rent a bass if the shop’s open today and see if I dig it with plucking rather than plectruming.