Rocksmith

Will the PC version be day-and-date with the consoles or will we have to wait a year again? I wound up buying Rocksmith for PC after getting the Ps3 version as a gift and found the PC interface superior. Being able to import custom songs was a very nice bonus.

At least with Bandfuse coming out this fall we’ll have two real guitar games to choose from.

You didn’t know!? :)

@Exodor: yes, this october for PC, too. Im glad I’ve waited for the pc version, there seems to be problems with the low memory on the ps3.

I’m being lazy and not looking up the info on my own - you mentioned “transferable DLC” Does that mean we can import DLC purchased for the original Rocksmith into the new game?

Yes, I’ll copy their faqs:

Will I be able to use DLC from the original Rocksmith with Rocksmith 2014 Edition?

Yes, you will. Your previous DLC purchases will be transferable without any sort of re-payment, as long as you’re moving them on the same platform (i.e., trying to move your original Rocksmith DLC you got on your Xbox 360 console to a copy of Rocksmith 2014 Edition on PlayStation®3 system will not work). This means that Rocksmith 2014 Edition will see new DLC releases in addition to the vast library already established with the original Rocksmith.

What about the on-disc songs from the original Rocksmith? Can I play those?

Rocksmith 2014 Edition will be backwards compatible! This means you’ll be able to play the on-disc songs from the original Rocksmith, so keep your copy around.

WTF! I waited 5 years for Rock Band to get some J-Pop, and it comes out on Rocksmith?

I love the idea and the execution, but it bothers me as a total noob guitar player how the difficulty can suddenly jump up and I totally lose my connection to the song. It effectively destroys any fun I just had few seconds ago while I try to struggle to understand how I should play the new notes, usually just miserably failing at it. It’s not a learning experience, it’s more like someone just throwing baseballs at me while I try to play.

Is there any modding for PC version or anything, which I could use to lock the difficulty levels, so that I could advance at my own pace?

I never saw this as a problem personally, but I’ve always had the attitude that it’s a learning experience and when it gets too hard for me then that’s fine. I’ll just keep up as best I can and if it’s too difficult it will quickly put the level back down for me. Then the next time it levels back up I’m usually ready to play at that next level and notice a real improvement. I don’t see any reason to let myself get frustrated by it, I actually like that the game keeps pushing and testing me and I embrace my own failures as a part of learning (which isn’t to say I don’t sometimes get frustrated when my slow fingers don’t go where there I tell them). I don’t think I’d be able to learn guitar if I didn’t have that attitude, but that’s just how I see it.

I’ve found the dynamic difficulty in Rocksmith to probably have the single biggest impact on my improvement at playing the guitar. It definitely isn’t perfect though, and doesn’t work so well on songs with arpeggios (House of the Rising Sun is a good example of a song where it just doesn’t work), so I’m hoping they improve it in the sequel.

The problem is that I don’t feel like I fully learned the previous section until the difficulty level goes up again. I’m barely keeping up and the game doesn’t allow me to be comfortable at one level. There’s no time dedicated for iteration and perfection.

You could always go into riff repeater if you want to practice a section at a particular difficulty level. If I’m struggling with a section I’ll go into riff repeater and slow it down to around 85% and then when happy I’ll build up in 5% increments. If that doesn’t work then it would be time to move on to another song. It would be unrealistic to expect that I can perfect any song as a beginner.

Typically I’d just play a song enough to qualify it for the event and move on to the next one. The next time I get the song it will have a higher target and my skills will have improved enough to play them at the higher level required for the new target. It felt like a pretty natural progression for me and now most songs in the game require 70,000-90,000 to qualify and I have a bunch that are fully mastered. I didn’t intentionally work at mastering those, it just happened over time as I allowed the game to keep picking songs for me and my playing got better.

Playing pretty much of the entirety of Angel Dust on Rocksmith PC is awesome, that is all

If you want some songs, they are 35% off on steam!! Base game as well.

Is bass support in Rocksmith 2014 as well on release or is it coming later (or at all)?

Edit: Also, if I have the 360 version the hardware that came with it should work with the PC too, right? Since it is USB and all.

Edit 2.0: Actually, I may go for the boxed PC version – cheap on Amazon right now and then my daughter and I could play our instruments co-op. Of course, that’s only if it comes with a Steam key, else I’ll just get on Steam and buy another cable.

I belive bass support is in the box in 2014?

I hope so, that’s awesome. Thanks wumpus.

Anyone know if the boxed PC version (of Rocksmith original, not 2014) is a Steam key?

You can activate it on steam- I bought the guitar combo and that is what I did. All dlc I have bought from steam. Has worked so far.

Awesome, thanks Wolff! Amazon has the physical box (game + cable) for $25 – seems like a great deal.

Just about to get back into this game. The lag always ruined things for me, so I just bought a Y adapter and am going to feed the guitar into both the realtone cable and my Line 6 Pod GX. I can listen to the guitar through the Pod and mute the guitar in game. Looking forward to it.

Rocksmith 2014 out today. I didn’t play the last one, and I’m glad I waited for this version. I don’t think I would have had the patience to go through the tedious entry levels of songs before getting to the level where you’re actually playing music. The ability to skip ahead to your desired difficulty is much appreciated.

It’s going to take me some time to get used to the notation, but I think overall this seems leaps and bounds better than the real guitar stuff that was offered in Rock Band 3. The notation is fairly clear and the options for speeding up/slowing down and selecting difficulty seem very good.

The track list in this game is really good, too.

Here’s IGN coverage of the new features.

Any chance they have something resembling tab this time? I really have trouble reading their note highway thing on the old version. Especially if I’m just learning it.