Rocksmith

From watching the video, it looks like my complaint is improved. The numbers along the bottom of the screen will help a lot, I think. Hopefully lag is improved as well - although last time I got around that by running it through my Line 6 (for audio) and the Realtone (for the game with no guitar volume).

It also has fret numbers under the notes on the highway now, fwiw.

Now that I think about it, my biggest issue was translating the weird perspective and color coded strings to the reality. (My brain was always translating green string = B, etc) It looks a lot more ‘straight on’ of a view now.

Going to get this when I get home tonight.

Bought. There’s a coupon to get it for $47 on Gamefly (Steam Code). Code is GFDOCT20. Also note that they want $10 to bring in RS1 songs (although it includes updates to songs).

I’m so happy Screaming Females and La Sera made it into this game. NJ indie scene represent!

I have the same mental problem. The big thing you have to get past is that the most important thing is to keep playing through the errors. I know you’re not wired that way, but tough it through. Also, riff repeater will perfectly satisfy a need to grind.

It’s early days, but Session Mode is pretty much the most fun thing ever.

The guitar tones in this sound so good. I’d rather play my guitar through this game plugged into my surround sound than through my $500 amp.

After an hour and a half of so:

100% better. Awesome. Doesn’t try to play the “it’s a game like Rock Band” excuse anymore; it’s a straight-up lesson machine. Wonderful, A++++ would buy again.

Did they improve the menus and load times? Used to take forever.

No issues here with load times and the menus seem fine, if a little weird at first.

There aren’t any load times. I mean seriously, if there are load times in this game then I haven’t noticed them.

The menu system was completely redone and is far, far better than the original.

SO MUCH BETTER. The lag on my machine is no longer even noticeable, and I’m pretty sensitive to it. I didn’t play RS1 much because of lag. Session mode is amazing for guitar practice and simulated jamming. Fretboard/note highway has nice improvements that greatly help it’s readability.

One issue I ran into (and I’m seeing more of it on forums): Audio was all slow/weird sounding on startup. Seems to be related to Asus Xonar audio cards. I messed around with 48k vs 44k settings on speakers, replaced drivers, and all sorts of stuff and got it working ok eventually. This person claims to have found a good solution: http://steamcommunity.com/app/221680/discussions/0/810938811090096132/#c810939350758454632

Yeah, my gushing wasn’t very descriptive. Here’s what I noticed right off the bat:

1. Lets you choose a path (lead, rhythm, bass) that recommends along with your skill level what things to try. These “things” include:
  2. Interactive lessons that speed up, slow down, and automatically replay based on your skill level. Numerous lessons on technique, not just fixed like in RS1
  3. Automatic “you’re having problems with that riff/section” detection that will send you to the expanded riff repeater
  4. No load times.
  5. Better arcade games.

Again, the first RS was deliberately a better version of RB pro-mode, but the designers specifically called out that they were making a game. And RS with its clumsy menus and presentation always felt kind of half-baked. This isn’t the case any more. RS2014 is designed to actually teach you how to play, is slick as dog snot, and probably about as fun of guitar lessons you’re going to get without the local cheerleader squad (nude) cheering your every successful bar chord.

The games are really great this time around. My favorites I’ve played so far (I forget the real names):

1. House of the Dead where you play chords to kill zombies. It’s awesome practice and cheesy just like the real game.
  2. A heist game where you have to play harmonics to move from cover to cover while avoiding security guards.

Anyone have any issues with the game not properly detecting the chords in strum heavy songs? I’m playing Blitzkrieg Bop and failing it right off the bat, even though I’m playing exactly what I’m shown (tried both downstrums and alternating strums). I had a similar issue earlier playing Don’t Look Back in Anger. I was also having issues in Say It Aint So where I was trying to upstrum the verse chords and it wasn’t registering them, but it did when I downstrummed them.

Nevermind… I had the volume knob on my guitar turned all the way down!

For other folks having volume issues (“it seems like your guitar volume is very low”) check your sound control panel, recording, and the Rocksmith device properties. My recording volume for that had been set to 14% for no known reason. Turning it up to 100% fixed the issue.

Note that it resets back down to 14% every time you load the game. So you’ll have to alt tab and do this after loading.