Rocksmith

It’s useless without a cable. I don’t think it includes microphone recognition.

What I would like RS to have is the option to set the speed of the arcade games.

Ah OK thanks. And damn, will have to keep an eye out for a physical copy sale.

If you find a digital copy in a sale, you can buy the cable separately.

hit the space bar to replay a section, and you can slow it down until you get it down.

The dynamic difficulty can sometimes be a problem.

The intent is to slowly teach you the full shapes by starting with partial notes or chords. But it’s very easy to get into bad habits by playing those notes incorrectly, in the wrong position, etc. That can make it tough or impossible to play the whole final version of the chord unless you re learn it in the correct position.

Diego

That’s for playing songs. The arcade games, which teach technique just scale diffidently up, and reach a point where I’m playing faster then I’m able to and fail. I’d love it if I could set a game to just play on the same speed.

Just a few thoughts on partial chords. Don’t do it!!! Suck it up buttercup, learn the full chords, put all your fingers on it, every time, right from the start. Learning an instrument is all about muscle memory and repetition. The fly in the ointment to that is it takes about 750 repetitions to imbed something in muscle memory, and it takes about 3500 repetitions to CHANGE a muscle memory. So when you start out learning partial chord formations, you are actually making it much much harder for you to learn to play, not to mention taking literally 3x+ longer to do it.

Whoever put that feature into a piece of music learning software should be burned at the stake.

So the general consensus is that I should turn off dynamic difficulty and just turn the speed down and gradually increase it as I get more proficient?

I’d say yes, personally. It will make it MUCH harder initially - this will make it more of a learning tool than a game. You’ll get better though, honest.

There is possibly some value in just playing at full speed, and hitting what notes you can. Your scores will be abysmal initially, but that’s okay. That can keep some of the ‘fun’ if you don’t want it to turn into a chore. You’ll need to do riff repeater eventually to really ‘learn’ it, but if you like blasting through a wide variety of songs then just do it.

This is what I typically do. I have an insane amount of custom DLC, and I just randomly play through tons of it, rather than ever really mastering any.

I just played this again for the first time after picking up a couple of songs. My new favorite song to play is Cinderella’s Don’t Know What You’ve Got (Til It’s Gone). This song more than any other makes me feel like I’m contributing even when I’m not playing a lot of notes.

Heh, I have a blast with all the Foo Fighter songs in a similar way. I should pick up some new ones… I really enjoyed playing and learning with this game!

I’ve had this sitting unlaunched in my Steam account since 2014 (It was on sale, and I figured I’d get a guitar to go with it Real Soon Now ™).

Well, now my daughter has been asking to learn guitar, so we each got guitars and have been practicing for the last few days. Finally started up the game today once the cable arrived, and I’m not quite sure what to think.

The beginner arrangements I tried seem a bit underwhelming and disconnected from the song playing in the background. They have a lot of playing the same note every couple of seconds and doing nothing else, and the difficulties for me come from moving around the fretboard and in getting used to the notation system they use in the game (putting the low notes on the top and the high notes at the bottom keeps throwing me off).

By contrast, the Hal Leonard book I was working through previously keeps things confined to a small area at the top of the fretboard, but has me moving from note to note in that area with reasonable alacrity and making recognizable songs, which was more immediately satisfying. I’ll definitely keep experimenting with both though.

Try the scales mini game for practicing moving around the fret board

You can flip the notes from top/bottom in the options. I tried it but the delay with our soundbar was throwing me off. Will have to try having the sound come straight from the TV next time.

Ah, thanks! That should help a lot – it was baffling to go to that from sheet music and guitar tablature where being higher on the page maps to higher pitch.

Yeah, I had the same problem - it’s really disconcerting!

I believe this is exactly why there are so few notes at the lowest dynamic difficulty settings. For someone truly new to both a guitar and Rocksmith/tablature, it is very overwhelming. Just learning to hold the thing and coordinate right/left hands can be tricky. I don’t find them disconnected though - that’s just a trick of playing so few notes. Once you get the hang of it, it will start adding notes at a decent pace (or switch to riff repeater to adjust the difficulty yourself).

Sometimes that can make it harder though (depending on your ability level). I’ll be playing along, reach something and have trouble with the fingering, only to find out later that I should have been playing an X or Y or whatever chord & it would have been easier if it had just told me that to begin with.

YMMV

That’s fair - the handling of chords can be a bit of disservice.

Interestingly, I started with Rocksmith and then went outside to tabs … I’ve thought about flipping the string configuration in the game to match the tabs, but instead decided to just leave it as is.

It is a bit annoying though.