Rogue One: Good movie or bad movie?

Look, what you do at night in your bedroom is your business, but I really don’t need to hear about the slave Leia costume you wear.

On the other hand, I do. Spill the beans, JMJ

Well, I have a sizeable scrotum, right? It’s both figuratively and literally overshadowed by my massive monolith, but in its own right it’s worthy of museum display anywhere in the world.

And here’s the thing: it’s a heat sink. Once I was walking in snow up to my knees, which put my scrotilia a good six inches below snow level, and I nearly died.

But I’m really sexy and like to show a lot of skin. So when it came time to wear a slave Leia outfit, I was determined to please my cosplay tumblr followers without risking my health.

So I built it upside down. I put a tiara wig on it, but gravity made the hair hang down and spoiled the effect. So I took some creative liberty and put a massive pair of Leia hairmuffs on it. The sides are warm, but I don’t overheat, and the upside-down smiley face I Sharpied onto my nutsack looks a lot better than Carrie Fisher post–plastic surgery, I can tell you.

The slave Leia bra holds up my monolith, of course, and the bikini bottoms fit well enough on my head once I cut eyeholes in them with little mesh screens. So now I’m the leading upside-down slave Leia on the scene.

Thanks for your interest!

Thanks…

I’ve mentioned before my complete lack of a visual imagination, haven’t I? Alas, today, it has cost me something glorious.

You’ve got to admit, my answer has more original ideas in it than Rogue One.

Aww, this poll should have been public so each side can shame the other. And mostly so we can gang up against the no opinions. How can you have no opinion about Rogue One? That’s like being an undecided in the 2016 election.

-Tom

There was an election?

Rogue One - it’s fine. The DV scene is good and the timing compared to A New Hope is great.

Pure fan service…sure. Who’s going to a Star Wars movie expecting thought-provoking art anyway?

It’s always been a Saturday morning serial writ large; expecting anything more suggests that you need to get out more.

I mean, I have an opinion about it: that it’s both good and bad in different aspects. But there’s no “eh” on the poll, so…

[quote=“Guap, post:3, topic:134756”]
I thought it was the best Star Wars since Empire Strikes back. [/quote]

I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels this way. I’m always surprised by the negative reaction it received for the most part. There is a lived in world, gritty veracity that I think has been missing from the Star Wars movies since Empire. The Force Awakens came close but there is still a level of polish and sense that there are big Disney dollars lurking just out of sight.

I loved the diverse cast, loved K-2SO, loved the way the character arcs ended (is this a spoiler free thread?)
and loved the fact that it stands on it’s own.

Which is not to say it’s a perfect movie. I could pick nits but, over-all, it’s one of my favorite Star Wars movies.

I mostly liked the first 2/3 of Rogue One. But the tropical planet kind of ruined the rest of the movie IMO. If I wanted to see a hokey Sandals resort I would watch Travel Channel.

I just don’t get that point of view. With which would you have been happier:

• ice planet
  • lava planet
  • desert planet
  • forest planet

Or did you mean you didn’t like the plot points of what happened there?

Yeah this doesn’t compute for me either. Did you think the effects were bad or something, or you just have some personal issues with palm trees?

Tropical islands just don’t exist in real life.

One man’s Sandals resort is another man’s Guadalcanal.

Pity the poor man where one man’s island paradise is also a warzone.

The islands just looked so fake.

Yeah, super fake.

I don’t understand why the library was put on the island? It looks like a nice planet, great for general colonization, but instead the whole thing is dedicated to holding research?

For me, Rogue One was on the “bad” end of the spectrum. It kind of plodded along, and I didn’t buy the lead character suddenly becoming this force that everyone rallied behind. It just seemed like she was…there…and then suddenly she’s getting a group together.

I also didn’t understand the holographic message from her dad: “There is a weakness in this battle station. It’s…GZZRK!” Oh no, the signal was cut off! I was expecting them to go, “Oh, there was a subcarrier message in space-ASCII with a detailed explanation of the weakness!”

Then you get characters who stay behind to die for no reason, the actual heist doesn’t have much to it, Darth Vader delivers that line about “Do not choke on your aspirations!” (What, he doesn’t like Imperial officers who want to develop superweapons???)…it just seemed like joyless fan-service…and this is coming from a guy who likes fan-service.

(And personally, I’ll be happy if we never see blue milk in another Star Wars film. Ever.)

My views have changed somewhat since release. At the time, I viewed it as decent fan fiction or “video game story” Star Wars, but pretty cheesy. But after Last Jedi, my overall affection for Star Wars and what it should be/mean has been so altered that I actually think Rogue One has been enhanced, since my overall expectations for the franchise have been drastically lowered.