Rogue One: Good movie or bad movie?

That isn’t what happened. In the message he explained that the weakness introduced meant that any damage to the reactor would cause the complete destruction of the station. The message wasn’t interrupted, but it was lost in the destruction of the Jedha base and so the rebellion was not willing to believe her. The complete Death Star plans were still needed to find how to take advantage of this flaw (which turned out to be the exhaust port.)

We’ve known that for forty years. “Don’t be too proud of this technological terror you’ve constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.”

Edit: Rogue One is fucking great.

It’s definitely up there.

Star_Wars_Role-Playing_Game_1987

It felt as if the results of a d6 campaign were scribed out in movie format.

The first time I watched it, I didn’t like it at all. My kid forced me to watch it a second time, and I liked it more. I think it just took two whole viewings for the thin character development to make me care what happened to the team. I’m not sure if that makes it a good or bad movie.

I too enjoyed it more the second time. I would be all for more movies in the Star Wars world that don’t involve a Skywalker or a Solo.

Um…

I feel the same about the old movies, but in reverse. I thought they were decent entertaining movies, but nothing special. But now that Last Jedi has changed my overall affection for Star Wars for the positive in a major way, what Star Wars movie should be/mean has been so altered that I’m more disappointed now in Force Awakens and Rogue One. I haven’t tried re-watching any of the others yet since Last Jedi made me a Star Wars fan.

Ugh. Last Jedi just gets worse the more I think about it. :(

We watched Harmy’s Despecialized Edition recently and I love A New Hope still. I’d be happy for Star Wars to start and end there in all honesty. I didn’t enjoy Empire as much as expected but it’s still a great film. Return of the Jedi was alright. Rogue One I’ve only watched once but I think it might be the best Star Wars since Empire despite the characters being utterly forgettable. I dunno. I had no idea the film led directly into A New Hope so the ending was a huge surprise too. I’ve still not seen The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens was disappointing.

There are a lot of debates about whether or not Empire is better than Star Wars (actually, most people come down on the side of Empire), but for my money, Star Wars wins because it’s a completely standalone film. Don’t get me wrong, I’m fine with sequels and prequels and all that…but the first one just creates a world and tells a story so perfectly.

And yes, the Despecialized versions are great!

To the original topic, we had a puppy blanket over the rug it peed on… and it is so cute, so Good Movie!

Where are the huge towers/skyscrapers if that’s the case?

IRL these atolls like the Maldives are built on sand and reefs, not bedrock.

With an average ground elevation of 1.5 m, there’s also not much protection from storms. (Though cyclones don’t occur there.)

OTOH, places like Manhattan with many skyscrapers have very deep bedrock underneath them.

Well of course it was the best Star Wars since Empire. But think about what that’s saying!

Realizing that Return of the Jedi sucked is a Gen-X shibboleth. It’s the gateway to adulthood.

I never bothered to see the prequels. Never heard or read a word to make me regret that.

What? You’re really going to let something like sketchy atoll construction or weather-proof engineering get to you in a universe where carving a system-disintegrating cannon out of a whole planet is possible?

Basic engineering remains important engineering.

BTW, the Star Killer Base was retarded, too.

So maybe a civilization that can do the Kessel run in 12 parsecs can develop building materials and methods that allow for skyscrapers on tropical planets.

Maybe Star Wars isn’t for you.

If you’re going to get hung up on the very basics of the fictional universe, then you’re probably not going to enjoy the fantasy story.

Not saying Yak is right here, but even in fantasy universes there still needs to be a certain je ne sais quois sheen of believability. It has to ‘feel’ right on some level.

Example: Alien is completely invalidated as hard SF because it has FTL travel. But it’s still pretty cool that they have cryo sleep and grungy trucker astronauts and a ship that really appears lived in.

Everyone’s tolerance for what passes this smell test and what doesn’t is going to be different.

*Ok, strictly speaking I suppose it’s possible that the ‘10 months’ it will take to get back home is a relativistic time-dilated estimate, but the overall context seems to go against that. Also they have fake gravity.

Sure. I get there is an implicit agreement between creators and the audience with regards to a fictional setting’s rules. Complaining about implausible building engineering in Rogue One’s island setting just seems really weird when the series has been filled with goofball fantasy structures like Bespin, the Death Stars, Starkiller Base, every single Star Destroyer, etc.

and the force…