Rogue Trader is the Warhammer CRPG from Owlcat (makers of the Pathfinder cRPGs)

This is better than I could have hoped for.

Not played any OwlCat games, but this reminded me of the Shadowrun games so piqued my interest!

My eyes automatically skip any mention of Warhammer, so I never even see it or register it on a conscious level. So this was inadvertently a sneaky way of making me aware of an upcoming Warhammer game.

I’m in this boat - this looks incredibly interesting to me. I didn’t know I wanted a Warhammer 40K tabletop RPG in the isometric style of a Pathfinder until about 20 seconds ago. Super freaking cool.

I’m sure I’m in the minority but I think the last thing the world needs is more GRIM DARK WH games.

Starfinder would have been so fucking cool…

So you gonna fix the thread title? 😊

I don’t know a lot about the Warhammer 40K lore despite playing and enjoying quite a few games in the franchise, so a chance at having an actual story instead of a series of pitched/tactical battles with real characters and world building as Owlcat can do could be just excellent.

I’ll update the title now, thanks for the reminder!

I know absolutely nothing about Warhammer games aside from avoiding them whenever the name popped up, so I’m not sure about this. Loved the Pathfinder games and it’s not as if I’ve never played sci-fi RPGs (ME, for instance). I like that it’d look like Pathfinder and not a FPS.

So, I think I’ll just watch development, see what it’s like and what options for character design/development come along with it and make a decision once it’s available.

“IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE THERE IS ONLY WAR.” I mean - it’s right there!

The Imperium of Man is a full-on fascist dictatorship ruled by the immortal 48,000 year-old Emperor who must consume the souls of 1000 virgins a day to maintain his lifeforce.

BUT, you know, they’re saying the Rogue Trader setting is a bit more standard sci-fantasy stuff where not everything is GRIM DARK. I guess we’ll see.

I’ve been reading how it works. It basically the setting is ‘going around OUTSIDE the Imperium’. Where Imperium laws don’t apply. That’s the trick. And you have some super special permission to interact with xenos.

Tbh, I’m in the same boat. I was kinda pumped to see Absalom Station lovingly rendered in 3D, but the core tenets of 40K are deeply corrosive to my capacity to feel joy. Womp :-(

I kinda feel the same way, but as I’m more into systems than lore, I can get down with a game that has crunchy combat, progression, skills, loot, all of that, in a functionally interesting environment. Even if the source material often reads like it sprang half-formed from the mind of a demented 14-year old.

I think it really got away from its origins as a critique of Thatcherism as a chunk of its audience became unironically fascist. That being said, I can’t help but love how over the top it all is from an aesthetic perspective.

Also, I think of 40K stories as the opposite of romance novels: “In the grim darkness of the far future, there are no feelings, only war.” And they are targeted at men, so it all works.

I really hope Owlcat introduces some romance to the 40K universe. I want them to cross the streams already and get some romance novel into my space marines. 18 additional organs indeed.

This is the main draw for me. The whole 40K method is just pushed as far as possible, and then a little farther. I particularly like the Imperial soldiers who are just as screwed as any one could possibly be.

40k sex scene:

Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle. Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle Nurgle.

My interest in a 40K game is based on whether my character gets to wear a jump pack and do an aerial assault. Do they make human-sized jump packs?

Did you play Space Marine? The best part of that game was launching yourself with a jet pack and coming down on the heads of your enemies with a massive hammer.

Although it occurs to me there may not be space marines in this game.

I was talking to someone that is really excited for this title and he said Rogue Trader was probably the best thing Games Workshop came up with, and he doesn’t like GW. He said you (well, and your party, I assume) are playing as Rogue Traders, and not like a marine in Terminator armor, in this setting. So it’s quite a different flavor than other Warhammer 40K stuff, in theory. The setting for this game probably warrants further deep dives as I suspect a lot of folks in this thread are assuming it’s something it may not really be.

Yeah, there is almost no way the characters are gonna be on Marine levels.

Well beyond the tendency of RPGs to always make players ultra-humans given enough time and experience anyway.

They’re making a Space Marine 2. I think it comes out later this year.