Rogue Trader is the Warhammer CRPG from Owlcat (makers of the Pathfinder cRPGs)

My understanding is they’re adapting Dark Heresy. Which is 8 years old, but not ancient or anything.

So long as the combat isn’t like Fallout, that’s quite the compliment!

It’s more like Wasteland 3, TB with various abilities to use.

i’ll be in my bunk

Colony development? Oh geez guys, I dunno.

Ewwwww.

I haven’t heard anyone say much good about the Kingdom/Crusade management since the Pathfinder games launched. Why are they still trying?

Yeah - I think it’s going to be the same thing as Wrath.

Why do they keep doing this? Both of their implementations so far have totally sucked. Not interesting and pointless, I have no idea why they keep wasting resources on this. Especially when they’re clearly stretched and the games release as buggy as they do.

Between near-impenetrable combat, ship battles and colony development, there’s something for everyone to hate! Hopefully they aren’t too far along with it and can reverse course, fast.

You made me laugh :D

Oh hey, there’s a guide! Who knew. Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader Alpha Guide - News - Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader

I was prepared to tell you that you’re totally wrong, it’s def 2009 Rogue Trader as I cracked open my PDF-printed copy of the Rogue Trader manual. But something was wrong. I then checked the 2008 Dark Heresy and the 2014 Dark Heresy 2nd Edition manuals, and they weren’t there, either.

Owlcat is using the D100 system found in Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Dark Heresy Second Edition Edition, as they are all compatible. But none of the classes careers. The eight careers in the game are all Owlbrew.

In the developer stream the other day they were non-committal, but said something about there being four basic careers, six advanced careers, and maybe a few elite careers. They also mentioned something about a career specific to the Rogue Trader main character, but we’ll see.

I haven’t been following this game too much, but I just saw a screenshot posted on Twitter that shows they have a cool “movement planning” system I really like, where you can click on a movement square to bring up a temporary image of your character standing on said tile and see what the line of sight looks like there.

I do like the move preview and line of sight functionality in the beta. It’s very slick.

I’m still watching PartyElite’s YouTube playthrough - linked here (now up to something like episode 32) and there is so much in this Alpha - the game isn’t perfect for sure but there is a LOT of content there. I’m actually a bit afraid to watch any more because I want to save it for when I play the game. Really looking forward to this coming out sometime in… heck, I dunno… late 2024?

No, it should come out in the Fall of 2023. It’s tracking closely to the dev cycles of Kingmaker and Wrath.

You should also expect it to be a buggy mess when it does come out.

Was Wrath of the Righteous a buggy mess at release? I do remember Kingmaker was. In fact, even though I Kickstarted it, I set Kingmaker aside after Act 1 since I heard the following acts were buggy and I only recently picked it up again and am playing through the campaign now.

It is interesting seeing that the new game is turn-based only. I saw a Wrath of the Righteous video where Owlcat insisted they weren’t going to add turn-based to Wrath, even though the Kingmaker turn-based mod was getting good buzz. I’m not sure when they changed their mind.

I wonder if their own metrics are showing when players actually have an option of either, they opt for turn-based.

WorR was in pretty good shape - especially given the scope and amount of content - at launch but the caveat there is some paths were in rough shape, so it depended on that to a good sized degree.

Oh yes. It was better than Kingmaker, which was unfinish-able. Wrath was generally finish-able if you stuck to the primary paths but any deviation could have led to broken quests and a dead-end. And of course, bugged classes and abilities across the board. It was very buggy even by “AA” standards.

Owlcat’s problem is that they are bad coders and every time they fix something they break something else, often something that was fixed in a previous build. Strongly suggesting their development CICD pipeline is dogshit.

I don’t recall all the issues you are mentioning (but I’m pretty sure I didn’t play either title at launch) but the Alpha looks pretty solid. There’s still a ways to go before launch but it seems they are on solid footing so far.

I mean, no one’s ever created a curated list of all the bugs in the game 1) because it would be huge and 2) because every patch would require re-testing the entire game because of Owlcat’s propensity for breaking shit every time they fix something.

When they “fixed” Improved Invisibility circa 1.3.x they broke regular Invisibility and it remains broken afaik.

At launch, the fireplace in the Inn in the Defender’s Heart kept disappearing. Like it disappeared in one patch, they fixed it a later patch, and then it disappeared again. Just, amazing. How do you lose a stationary decoration and then lose it again?