Rogue Trooper

The hyper-homoeroticism of the opening scenes with hundreds of hunky bare-blued chested men perhaps takes away from that. A Little.

The game’s actually pretty good, by the way. I liked it a lot.

KG

Bought the game on release day and have been waiting for the other shoe to drop since, but so far so i’m enjoying it plenty. The game succeeds in giving you a feeling of being a real badass and the interaction between rogue and the biochips is pretty well handled.

As has been mentioned the art for some of the female characters tends toward the pneumatic end of the spectrum but thats a pretty minor gripe considering my love of breasts.

I’ve heard rumours it’s a bit on the short side so i’m trying to savour the last of the game that’s left.

Not exactly what i’d call a challenge so far, but definately worth a punt for new initiates to the story once it drops a bit in price and pretty much a must buy for fans of the series that have been holding off for fear of sullying childhood memories.

We need a Nemesis video game.

Be pure.
Be vigilant.
Behave.

There already has been a Nemesis game - for the Holy Spectrum. It was a platformer, and shit, but it was made in the days that even movie licenses were given to teenagers to design and develop in Mancunian sweatshops.

As for Rogue Trooper, well it’s certainly a lot better than its 8-bit predecessor! I’m having great fun with it. They’ve really gone to town to make the player feel like a badass. I think the single player campaign is far better than those found in Halo 1 & 2 too, but there may be some bias in that due to my love for the strip as a kid. I keep replaying each fight after I’ve cleared it once, to see how I could approach it differently, and the variety in Rogue’s equipment and the ease with which it’s all deployed makes that a joy. I love the comments from the chips when you make a good shot (“Nice shootin’, you PSYCHO!”), or chain a number of kills together quickly.

If I have a criticism it’s that some of the texture work for buildings and backgrounds is awful. I was watching one cutscene last night, where Rogue is on a train, and the texture behind him was just a blur of grey - no definition or detail at all. Not good in this day and age.

While RT won’t win any best of year awards, it’s nice to see a team not make a complete pig’s ear of a 2000AD license, and actually come up with a good game that’s true to the source material.

Hey how’s this for a crazy thread necro - Rebellion have announced they are releasing a remastered version of Rogue Trooper. They put a video on YouTube announcing this, sorry I am working on my phone and having difficulty with a link.

I remember I liked this game in a low-key kind of way. I liked that you could prop up your rifle as a tripod to fire on enemies while you flanked with a pistol. I’ll probably have to try this one out.

It was better than it had any right to be, but I’m not sure how it would hold up against the likes of Wolfenstein unless you’re super into the lore aspect. I’ve got no desire to play it again.

I remember enjoying, but i had low expectations. I would play it again knowing it isn’t going to be spectacular.

I presume they will upgrade the graphics, but what would make me play it would be if they modernized the controls.

We’ve got a release date for the remaster, October 27. Also a price: $24.99/£19.99/€19.99, which I think isn’t too shabby. I’ll be grabbing a copy.

My memory is really fuzzy on this. Is this the game that got famous because Mickey Rourke did the voice-over as the main character?

No, that’s Rogue Warrior I think. Easy mistake to make. This was the one with the blue dudes.

Wow, so Rebellion did a game called Rogue Warrior and a completely different game called Rogue Trooper? Were the two games related or in the same universe at least?

This is like discovering the difference between the Sniper Elite series and the …er… other Sniper series.

Was Rogue Warrior by Rebellion? I never played it but I saw a Let’s Play on YouTube, really only amusing for Mickey Rourke’s creative swearing.

But no, the two games have nothing to do with each other. Rogue Trooper, which this thread is about, is a 2000AD property like Judge Dredd. It’s about a future war on a poisonous planet which the troopers have been bred to survive and wage war on. Rogue Warrior, as best I recall, is about a present day one-man-army invasion of North Korea. Think it’s based on the memoirs of an actual Navy Seal? Something like that, anyway.

Bethesda.

Yep.

Rogue Warrior is a 2009 first-person shooter video game developed by Rebellion Developments and published by Bethesda Softworks

Apparently it was originally being made by Zombie Studios, but that was scrapped by Bethesda, the publisher, and they handed it to Rebellion who started over. It sounds like Rebellion put together a game in a single year, which might explain why it was universally panned.

Sadly Tom’s review is DOA due to 1up’s robots.txt apparently, but it wasn’t positive http://www.quartertothree.com/inhouse/news/269/

Looks like this is out, anyone playing? I kind of want to, I know I’ll want to play sometime. Also like to support the good folks who made this happen. Just curious if there are any impressions.

Hey I found Tom’s original review:

https://web.archive.org/web/20071011050241/http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3151447

And despite it being a 1Up link, the internet archive link actually works in this case! That’s very rare.

Pretty cool, I don’t think I’ve read that before. Then again, it’s over 10 yearsnold so maybe I just forgot. Anyway, it’s amusing how often I agree with all the details of a review and then at the end I’m nodding along going “Yeah, isn’t that awesome?!” while they conclude with “… and that’s why it sucks.”

Heh, thanks for that. I just talked my own self out of being tempted to try the redux version!

-Tom