Rome Total War 2 looking likely!

Er, hasn’t CA been making the same game for 15 years too but still have not got it right?

Actually a quick look shows Rome:TW released in 2004 so thats only 10 years of making basically the same game but with extra bells and whistles. I must admit, I’m a little down on CA. Hugely successful as their games are I wished they had better understanding of what makes good gameplay, and I’m referring to the campaign map portion of the game. I guess I want something more akin to EU’s complexity with the TW battles and I know I’ll never get that from CA.

I loved Total War: Shogun 2.

Total War Battles with an EU like map would be a disaster.

I agree, each series is trying to get a very different experience. I’m just trying to imagine CK2 with TW battles and a single game would last for hundreds and hundreds of hours…

Its not EU with Total War battles exactly like that. I feel the strategic side of the Total War games is weak. The 4x part of the game is weak. I don’t think CA has a focus on making the TW series anything other than a bunch of real-time battles with a strategic layer strapped on. And they have been great at doing that and very commercially successful.

Perhaps it is best said by saying there is no other option to the game other than Total War. Yeah, thats obviously what the series is about but it would be nice to see something a little more empire building and management with the cool battles.

I like that it isn’t as complex - its a boardgame playstyle for me, and I love that.

I see I have 202 hours in Rome 2, so I guess I ended up having a ton of fun with it after all! Its pretty good where it is now, actually. The battles ARE amazingly complex when you start thinking about it, so its no wonder issues happen, though.

So, I hadn’t tried the game since the new siege AI came out… Wow, it really works now. The mess ups are way, way less common.

Sadly, I think this means I need to lower the difficulty…

The Emperor Edition (latest patch with a ton of changes + Roman Civil War campaign) is now live on Steam!

Full changelist
http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_ROME_II:_Patch_15

Yay - Just in time for my day off tomorrow - perfect!

Do civil wars happen with all factions or just Rome? Also, can someone explain gravatas to me? I never do anything with it.

All factions. It replaces the realm divide from Shotgun 2 as the end game challenge. I’m not sure how new politics works, haven’t had a chance to dig into it.

Reading the patch notes makes me think I’ll have to jump back into this. If they really made province development more interesting and make the politics side something worth worrying about, this game could really be in a good place. I’m really impressed that they’ve continued to work on this game as much as they have. Does anyone know if they are planning any additional paid DLC?

Please let us know how it plays now. The patch sounds really great but I am not sure when I will have time to try it.

CA has said there will be more DLC (both paid and free) in the months ahead. The Emperor Edition (which is the free upgrade pushed out yesterday) also gives owners a new campaign DLC for free.

I updated my game yesterday and played some last night and this morning. I started my campaign over to take advantage of all the new building trees and other stuff, no great loss since I was only 40 or so turns into it anyway (I just started playing Rome 2 a couple of weeks ago).

The changes so far are great. I was pleased to see right from the start that I had different choices in building upgrades, and that many of them were difficult choices between good upgrades instead of the “lesser of two bad options” kind of thing I ran into so often pre-Emperor. Tier II buildings now have a wider range of positive effects, but come at the cost of a small amount of food deducted from your province, making farms and other food producing buildings significantly more important than they were previously (food is not just for growth anymore). The squalor hits have been dialed down a notch for higher tier buildings as well, which is nice.

The UI has some minor changes, with splashes of color where none were before and some cleaner design in some screens. Overall the effect is minimal, but pleasant. One thing I did notice right away was that pre-Emperor I used to only see the “running low on graphics memory” message when loading some battles, and now I am seeing it when loading the main UI screen. I have a 7770 Ghz Edition, but it does only have 1GB of DDR5 onboard. I ticked the checkbox in graphics settings to use system memory (I have 8GB) as overflow, but I have yet to see if that makes any noticeable difference (I run most settings on Very High).

Load times are reasonable, and AI turns, which were never an issue for me before, seem to be going by even a touch faster now. Thus far I have nothing to complain about in terms of AI turn time or battle/UI load times. I do not run the game off an SSD, just a normal 7.2K SATA drive.

Honestly, I would say anyone who likes the Total War franchise and was frustrated with Rome 2, but hasn’t played in months, owes it to themselves to come back and check out Emperor Edition. I think between then tweaks and changes Creative Assembly has been making over the past months with their minor patching, and now the larger-scale changes they have made with Emperor Edition, this game may finally be close to what fans of the franchise (and the original) were hoping for from the start. Anyone who had been putting off the purchase because of all the early issues and complaints with the game, now is the time to buy (well, maybe wait for a sale someplace obviously).

Props to CA for putting in a ton of time and effort to listen to player complaints and address them, and then give all that to the players for free instead of trying to pawn off an expansion or stand-alone that contains all the fixes.

I’ll throw out a wild guess that they’re planing some sort of standalone like “Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire”, similar to how they did with “Fall of the Samurai”. Maybe that gives them some motivation to get the main game fixed up? Or maybe they’re actually good people.

That would be fine with me. The later empire is much more interesting than earlier periods and the Barbarian Invasion DLC was a lot of fun.

The main game is pretty fixed up, man! Dive in!

Great news!

I am still annoyed that the tech tree doesn’t show what the prerequisite techs are. For example, I was playing a barbarian race and there is the third tier of the war-chief’s hut I wanted. I could click on it and get the article for it, but nothing which said what tech you needed to research to unlock it.

I would be okay with that! The standalones for Shogun 2 are the kind of things I can get behind them doing. The core game was stable so they were able to do some bigger things with those standalone campaigns(especially the Fall of the Samurai one).