Rome Total War 2 looking likely!

The Augustus campaign has the best cinematic intro in the whole series :).

I still enjoy all of the DLC campaigns for Rome 2 and agree they patched it up pretty well, it’s just the GC that I’m not a fan of, but no matter, they released more than enough DLC campaigns for me to enjoy the heck out of Rome 2.

Rome 2 is more fun going backwards from Attila than forwards to Attila. The Attila GC is entirely based around a stupid number of defensive battles, worse or better depending on the faction. Probably 90% of the battles you actually fight will be city battles with you on the defensive (since, if you’ve positioned your troops right in a field battle, victory is auto-assured). Rome 2, for all it’s myriad problems, tends to have more open field battles than Attila, at least in the way I play.

Yes I agree on that, many more open field battles in Rome 2. You may be playing Attila like I do with Eastern/Western Roman empire trying to scrape along and defensive battles are what that makes you do.

Also Rome 2 has the frickin’ sun shining and is brighter, while Atiilla can be a bit dark.

Just to be clear however Attilla is the better game in my opinon. Just finished a “This is total war” achievement as ERE in Attila and it was tough and fun. Hint: Crossbows.

Been reading an overview of English history and it really makes me want to reinstall Rome 2 and fire up a campaign playing as the Iceni. Anyone ever give this faction a try?

One of the worst kept secrets in gaming confirmed, the new campaign expansion for an ‘older game’ they talk about here https://www.totalwar.com/blog/update-on-historical-releases is Rome II

Awesome! Although I really don’t agree it was a badly kept secret - It could have been any of their recent games.

I do wonder how much they are going to change the engine!

Rome 2 still has 2x the numbers of Attila. And tbh I fired up Imperial campaign and thought it looked just fine.

I’m guessing since the nerds have control - Septimus Severus and Palmyra?

It’s a good time because you not only have a chaotic period of civil war in Rome but the rise of a new Persian Empire along with the rise of some short lived middle eastern kingdoms as well.

They could also do Justin or Constantine. But the crises of third century makes for a very nerd friendly topic.

The ‘unnamed DLC’ that appeared in the Rome 2 steam database a few weeks ago was a bit of a giveaway.

So is there any more information about this?

I love Rome 2, despite the politics/civil war aspects being patched into irrelevancy as a ‘fix’.

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/927928364408692737

Thanks! I guess we’ll learn what’s going on tomorrow.

I’m pretty jazzed that my favorite Total War game is getting more content.

“Power & Politics” update sounds like they might have finally addressed my grievance!

DLC as yet… unknown.

Edit: Beta should be live now! (For English language only.)

Edit2: They have indeed updated the political system. No family tree, but considerable increases to politics. (This is satisfactory.)

They need to make HBO films, not games. That opening cinematic for the Imperial Edition campaign would be a killer Season 3 commercial for a hypothetical Fall of Rome series.

Aren’t they supposed to release a new campaign?

I think it’s called “Empire Divided” but no details yet.

Twitch stream still running. Politics seems to focus on parties actually mattering. Leaf out of the Endless Space 2 playbook?

Edit: Political factions now own regions of the map, depending on influence! Civil wars completely replaced by ‘successions’ that can escalate into civil war. (This is one hell of an update for an old game.)

Edit: Oh, happy days!

Changed the effects of grain settlements. They now provide food to regions in their current province and adjacent provinces instead of faction-wide.

Who is right when they are right? This guy. Well I figured start of the crises of 3rd Century but Aurelian was quite a swell guy (as far as holding empires together was concerned) but I’ll take it as a near win. And not that far away either.

Oh an I just realized this will probably involve persecuting Christians, if 4 turns are a year.

Oh god, they have fixed the information panels. No more in-game browser!